PDA

View Full Version : New BBC-1 Lightwave sci-fi ministries' Outcasts'

ianr
02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
BBC 1 has a primetime (9 o/c G.m.t.every Monday) show rolled out in the science-fiction genre, named 'Outcasts'. Darkside animation supplied a lightwave-driven cgi hunk of shots for the series.
Well done to Andy Bishop & his crew
(see shot breakdown article in 3d world mag)

well waddathink Wavers?:lwicon:

Markc
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
I like the 'space shots', but the story seems a bit slow so far?
I will give it a chance though.

cresshead
02-09-2011, 11:28 AM
saw ep1 and 2 yesterday on iplayer, the FX looks top banana let's see how the story plays out.

was surprised to see the actor who played captain lee adama [bsg] on the show for sure!

ianr
02-09-2011, 11:47 AM
And its got 'the ice Queen' from Spooks, 'People--be chastised!'

-Hmmmm ,Well back to the CGI
Yeah -i liked the subtle re-entry shots

wrench
02-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Apparently it really kicks off Ep3 so Andy says.

B

ianr
02-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Great sci-Fi football!

i like?

ianr
02-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Epi 3: Nice water spout & Atmospherics, pity it seems there's not much 'Atmospherics' in the dialogue....

wrench
02-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Yeah... we still have to watch four, but it's finding the enthusiasm for anything other than the VFX (since they were done by friends).

B

Markc
03-25-2011, 12:55 PM
So, did anyone stay watching till the end of the series?
I must admit, I was starting to like the plot / characters, but I think I was expecting a lot more CGI/VFX/Space based shots.
And how could they kill off Jamie Bamber in Episode 1 :(

cresshead
03-25-2011, 01:02 PM
it was okay, though nowt special...i hope they gear up for season 2.

wrench
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
If there is a second series the acting needs to be better and the scripts certainly do. We also need to discover a human life-sustaining exoplanet and make spaceships that can ferry significant numbers of people through space right now since the series was only set in 2041. In short, I didn't much like it, though the CG was usually pretty good.

B

Titus
03-25-2011, 06:54 PM
LW involved in :alien: series? :)

Markc
03-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Lightwave was used yes, Darkside Animation did the VFX.

gordonrobb
03-26-2011, 04:38 AM
It really began to get interesting. I thought it was sci-fi, then it was just going to be humans being humans in an alien world. But that all changes. Great story if you give it time. And Fleur - sigh.

pauland
03-26-2011, 05:40 AM
I loved the show - bit creaky at first but hooked towards the end. BBC have cancelled it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-To-Ensure-Outcasts-Series-2/158336420890760?sk=wall&filter=2

kosmodave
03-26-2011, 05:43 AM
Still have to watch the last two episodes I have stored on BBC I-Player but I must admit I'm not too impressed with the acting or the plot on this one. I will probably give the next series ( if there is one ) a go but at the moment it's not in the same league as something like BSG. ( Though the CG is very good. )
Looking back at the first couple of series of TNG, the acting was very poor there as well even though there were well accomplished actors in the series. It just seems it takes a while for the actors to be really comfortable with their characters which seems to show through in their portrayal/performance.

Dave

pauland
03-26-2011, 05:48 AM
Well, I like it because it's not a direct US Sci Fi clone, though it includes themes from several series. I found the series interesting and most US Scifi series now tend to bore me - bring in the clones.

kopperdrake
03-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Liked the FX but the story didn't grab me quick enough :( I watched a couple of episodes but found it hard to watch either all the way through - the pace for me was just a bit too slow in those I saw.

pauland
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
It certainly took some time to get going, but it got better and better. I don't mind things that have a slower pace. In some ways I prefer them. With a slower pace you have time to think, rather than be pulled along the path.

wrench
03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
The original idea was to be an "Eastenders in space" in general, with no pseudo-technical stuff at all, which I think could have been great. After all, Firefly never explained in exposition why the characters spoke Chinese - it was purely because on Earth that was the two superpowers were the US and China and so English and Chinese were the dominant languages. That kind of soap opera feel was really present in among the techy bits in the show too, and Outcasts could have had that, but in the end because it was worked on by committee it lost too much originality.

B

pauland
03-27-2011, 07:24 PM
http://danowen.blogspot.com/2011/03/interview-ben-richards-writercreator-of.html

crashnburn
03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Great effects, nice location, average acting and a poor scriprt. A real shame as it could have been really good. The comparison to an Eastenders in space would have been quite close, especially in reference to the script. Although weak scripts seem to be a trend lately, particularly in films from across the pond. I think the script writers strike a couple of years ago did a lot of long term damage in that respect. But I agree they had to make a stand.

wrench
03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
The shocking thing about the poor script is that it was created by Ben Richards who has written some excellent episodes of Spooks.

B

pauland
03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
I don't particularly want to start some kind of Outcasts war here, but some of us think he did a great job..

ianr
03-28-2011, 09:36 AM
hello,
Yes,it's sad [in the classical sense] as Wrench has said for Ben Richards,the writer, who with his 'Spooks' hat on has written some rivetting stuff. Then 'Spooks' has always got its 'chop-edit on' for fast pace,and this was more slower stuff, but having read beleaguer Ben's interview quote:
"But... the one thing I've definitely learned is you can't start with too much backstory especially in a strange and new world like ours. Our intentions were honourable though -- we wanted to get people into story as quickly as possible because exposition is so hard and tedious. However, I totally take on board that it was hard to care about an ensemble in these circumstances and we should have given people an easier "in" to the show and crucially a central character to identify with more quickly."

It's saddening to work hard on stuff then it to 'Turkey',for it's happened to me in film.
I have seen friends get depressively drunk before release with the creeping saddness.
The last one [mr.X.] just howled & howled in the restaurant about Oli Stones editing muck up of 'Alexander' to me before its release, obivously had done alot of work on it ,and look how much that cost!
Interestly,Stone quickly returned to it to redit it into 'a director's cut' hmmm?

But to return,I really do hope to see more of Ben's Spooks,as my friend Colin makes a 'great fist' of-- keeping the Kingdom safe-, a phrase i like to rib him with.

With regards the BeeB and the next critty sci-fi.
Shouldn't they get an actors workshop to Read and Vid it at the same time to see if a 'new world' works! That it is believable in our old normal world terms. Or is it that we expect too much from Sci-fi in a Temple/ Church-like experience.
The rub is, where ever we are in a series we just gotta have empathy with the principal characters.

wrench
03-28-2011, 10:02 AM
My major problem like I said was that it's set so close in the future, which made it unbelievable from the outset. Other than that, my wife and I watched every episode but just didn't feel it made the grade. For all Ben's despair that it got compared to the likes of BSG and Lost, it was to be expected. The series wasn't groundbreaking and so had to be compared to other work in the genre rather than setting out new rules.

B

ianr
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
R.I.P--- over & out!

WillBellJr
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Well judging from all the posts, this is apparently a UK show.

I checked my FIOS listing and didn't see ziltch on BBC America only the prerequisite Dr. Who.

I'd certainly like to watch the show if possible.

Hopefully iPlayer will work out for me.

-Will

mikala
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Well crap on a stick. Just leaves us with scripted reality shows to watch! Hooray for us.:devil::cursin:
They always keep the crap I guess.

wrench
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Apparently iPlayer is soon to be available outside the UK on a subscription basis, which is also good for me in France.

B