PDA

View Full Version : Building a New Machine!

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Hi,

I was told a fast render machine relies on a good CPU Power. More CPU power faster is the render. Now, I am not a tech savy, pure artist mind here.

I would like to know you opinion about this. I'm running a Core i7 860 - 2.8 GHz / Gigabyte P55A-UD4 / 16GB and I am looking for a new motherboard that supports 2 CPUs. However, I do would want to keep reusing my Core i7 cpu and just get a new one.

Max budget US$640

Is there any good motherboard that supports dual CPU. My purpose is to have a dazzling fast render machine.
Let just say I'm hungry for render speed.

Any other suggestions are welcome, appreciated.

Lightwolf
02-09-2011, 03:22 AM
I would like to know you opinion about this. I'm running a Core i7 860 - 2.8 GHz / Gigabyte P55A-UD4 / 16GB and I am looking for a new motherboard that supports 2 CPUs. However, I do would want to keep reusing my Core i7 cpu and just get a new one.
You can't - end of story. Which also saves you from searching around I suppose. ;)
Dual socket Intel boards require dual socket Xeons.

Any other suggestions are welcome, appreciated.
Your best bet at the moment is the new i7-2xxx series from Intel, they do require a new motherboard though (all of which currently have a chipset with a known problem though).
It won't double your render speed though, I'd expect something around +30% at most with the i7-2600 compared to your current CPU.
You could at least re-use everything except for your current CPU (+cooler/fan) and motherboard though.
If you're not in a hurry, wait until April for the next revision of the chipsets to be released though.

Cheers,
Mike

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Hi Lightwolf,

Thanks for the though on this and clarifying it.
I was suggested to Overclock my current cpu and add water cooling to my system.
Any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

Lewis
02-09-2011, 03:51 AM
What Mike said ,

or buy EVGA SR-2 MB and pick some 6core Xeons and youll have a "beast" :D

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

BTW there was some rumors that this EVGA could run simultaneously 2*i7 980x but I'm not sure was that being confirmed since AFAIK none of i5/i7 CPUs are MP (at least not current ones, in past we even had Celerons who worked in Duals sockets :)) so they shouldn't work (unless MB has some special hardware for "hacking) :).

Lightwolf
02-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the though on this and clarifying it.
I was suggested to Overclock my current cpu and add water cooling to my system.
Any thoughts on this?

I'm not a fan... It's either fairly safe but only gives you a few % of performance... or it's not, eats up tons of power (overclocked machines use a lot more power per GHz) and lowers the total life-span of all components involved.
Which is o.k. if you want to scrap the main components after 2-3 years, otherwise I wouldn't risk a high overclock.

Think of it this way... +280MHz on your rig gives you +10% at most.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
02-09-2011, 03:54 AM
or buy EVGA SR-2 MB and pick some 6core Xeons and youll have a "beast" :D

Not with that budget... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 03:58 AM
Interesting... thanks Lewis and how much would that cost ? + 2 Xeon cpus? $$$$?

Lewis
02-09-2011, 04:00 AM
As for overclock thing is that most of i7 CPUs go over 30% clock increase easily (for some CPU batches you don't eevne need to increase voltage up to certain GHz). I've run i7 920 which is 2.67GHZ Defalt on 4.0Ghz perfectly stable (rendering for weeks) and that is 50% increase so i'd say YES overclock if you know what you are doing (keep it modest with voltage increase and keep it within safe temperature range with 3rd party cooling since default coolers are very "weak" and i wouldn't recommend overclocking with them)

Lewis
02-09-2011, 04:01 AM
Interesting... thanks Lewis and how much would that cost ? + 2 Xeon cpus? $$$$?

A LOT :D. 6-core Xeons are awfully expensive :(. But you could try with 2*Quad core Xeons (8 threads each) so you'd have 8cores/16threads with some W55xx Xeons.

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 04:03 AM
I found this video that matches my board and i7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fba59INOfCE

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Well, my budget is enough just to buy the motherboard. Not including any CPU... which costs another $$$... well... have to look for an alternative then.
Thank you guys.

Lewis
02-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Well, then buy and better cooler for your socket and overclock it to 4Ghz and you'll get 35-40% more power in your computer for a 60-80$ investment (somethinh like Corsair H50 or H70 water cooler).

cgisoul
02-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Well, then buy and better cooler for your socket and overclock it to 4Ghz and you'll get 35-40% more power in your computer for a 60-80$ investment (somethinh like Corsair H50 or H70 water cooler).

I guess I just forget the dual cpu, they are too expensive and the cost doesn't justify for what I need/do.
Yes, I might was well go with the water cooling and OC, plus a good PSU.

Thank you guys.