PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX and Weight Mapping

rdolishny
02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I admit I'm not familiar with Weight Mapping or FiberFX, but here's what I want to do. I want only the top of the head to have hair.

In the past, I've created a surface called 'skin' then copied that surface and pasted it onto a few polygons on the top of the head, and called that new surface 'hair'. Then, in FiberFX I select the surface 'hair' and it works.

Problem is it's pretty crude, and what if I change the properties of the skin? I think this is where weight mapping comes in; I create only ONE surface 'skin' and select a few polys on the top and call that weight map, 'hair'. In Weight map view, I see the red polys with falloff which seems to be what I want.

How do I tell FiberFX to use this weight map? It's mentioned many times in the manual that I should be able to drive hair growth with weight maps.

Or is this a magical THIRD area I'm not sure about: nodes?!?

rdolishny
02-08-2011, 09:27 PM
nevermind... :)

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Fiber_Weightmaps.mov

rdolishny
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
OK I do have another question.

I'm trying to 'right-click' in the Object menu of the FiberFX screen and I'm not seeing any options for 'clone' or 'save as default' like in Williams' tutorial video. It's also mentioned in the manual. Why can't I clone?

rdolishny
02-08-2011, 10:49 PM
aaaand once again I solved my own problem.

Seems I was using 9.5. An upgrade to 9.6 fixed all problems.