PDA

View Full Version : Rendering problems

NixNix
09-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Hello all,

I am a certified noobie :), and while I feel a little silly asking this question, here goes....

When I render a scene in Layout, for some reason the lower half of the screen is dark, but only in the background. For example, when I use ground fog, or a textured backdrop, etc., I can see the texture or whatever being rendered during processing, but in the final image the lower half of the render background is black or very dark, with a clear defining "horizon" line.

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

NixNix

Neil_Campbell
09-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Check your background under the Scene tab - sounds like you've got a gradient backdrop applied, which is normally sky blue in the top half with a really sharp boundary mid way down the screen to mud brown in the lower half. This will show through volumetric (fog) and transparent (glass) materials.

NixNix
09-30-2003, 10:41 AM
Hmm, thanks, but I do not see that I have that set up anywhere. Maybe a (very) quick illustration will help....

As you can see, the texture of the background is juuuust visible, but is way out of synce with everything else! This was done with a ground fog volumetric and a textured background using a procedural textural layer...but no gradient.

Any ideas?

toby
09-30-2003, 09:12 PM
pardon me, just have to check these things - have you tried more than one scene? are you using a legal copy of LW?

iluvatar
10-01-2003, 06:32 AM
does this happen without the groundfog? i had some strange effects using groundfog :p disable groundfog and check if the effect is gone... or try to disable / change some other options so at least you can locate the problem ;)

NixNix
10-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the interest, guys!

Toby: Yes, it is a legal copy. I was actually given this software by a graphic artist/friend of mine who is changing careers, so I did not purchase it...but it IS legal.

Iluvatar (great name, btw :) ) gets the brass ring! Seems I was setting ground fog at a negative bottom value, so I was getting a sort of "negative fog clipping" thing...or something. But once I reset the bottom value to zero, all came out right as rain! Thanks for the ideas!

Tell Eonwe hello for me, lol!

NixNix

iluvatar
10-01-2003, 09:22 AM
thanks, i like this name a lot ;)

i guess this just solved the problem i had some time ago, but at that time i didn't think of this... :p

toby
10-02-2003, 01:07 AM
sorry if i sounded like a Newtek spy, i just asked because cracked copies were known to have rendering problems - glad you guys worked it out.

NixNix
10-02-2003, 07:47 AM
Not a problem at all, Toby. We need concerned citizens :cool: