PDA

View Full Version : Solo Feature in Layout

ben_smith
09-30-2003, 08:05 AM
hey there sports fans,

I'd really like to see a Solo feature in Layout. Idea is you select some stuff and then click the Solo button. Layout then hides everything in the scene except the selection. When you click the UnSolo button layout turns everything back the way it was before you hit Solo. Kind of like the Hide Unselected feature in modeller.

ben

Benjamin Smith | SFdp | www.sfdp.co.uk

jagoca
09-30-2003, 10:35 AM
mhhh... I've seen it in 3DSMAX which I use in classes, here you pressed ALT-q, if I donīt mistake...

This feature seems easily Scriptable, toggling the visibility flag for every non-selected element. You'll have to save to a file what have you changed in order to invert results when called again (so you only need one LScript for all the work).

I will try in the future, although perhaps there's just any application doing so in flay.

Bye.

jagoca
09-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Giving it a second thougth, I used it in MAX for modeling purposes, which is the reason I enjoy having modeler and layout as two separated apps.

Perhaps it won't be as useful in LW.

Mylenium
09-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Well, I have no doubts about more display tools in Layout. Currently the only thing to manage these is the scene editor which is not very comfortable. This is one point where having two separate progs is not so good. In other progs these tools are global and can thus be used both for modeling and animating. I strongly wish we will see something like dispaly layers, ghosting, hide selections etc. in Layout soon. So for instance when animating a face it could even be useful to hide the other parts/ selections to focus more on the process.

Mylenium

Dodgy
09-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Yeah but in Maya the hiding/showing system is a mess :) Should be easy... There are some layer functionality plugins for layout on www.flay.com i think...

Mylenium
09-30-2003, 11:14 PM
I disagree, Dodgy. It's very usable in Maya once you assigned it some hotkeys. The only thing that really does not work reliably is isolate select view.

Mylenium

Dodgy
10-01-2003, 02:55 AM
My point exactly. Maya has layers which are fine, but come to hiding polys it's a nightmare...