PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft DV Avi's <-> Quicktime DV Mov's , jumping between Finalcut and AE/Fusion

Noclar7
09-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Does anybody have any info/links about the communication/differences between Microsofts DV codec and Quicktimes DV codec?

Instance1 :

DV Video edited in Final Cut on Mac ->
quicktime DV exported for comp ->
Loaded into After Effects/DFusion for 3D comp ->
DV codec looks like crap even though there is no recompression.

Instance2 :

Microsoft DV exported for comp ->
DV codec looks like crap even though there is no recompression.

so we tried Instance 3:

quicktime uncompressed exported for comp ->
Video looks good, but at expense of Huge files to store.

What is up with the DV codec? there should be no loss?

RJ,

Aegis
10-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Well, if you're exporting DV then there is recompression - your original footage is 5:1 compressed and when you export it to DV it's 5:1 compressed again - Mainconcept's DV codec is better than most at this but even so, when I'm working with DV I always output uncompressed...

Red_Oddity
10-01-2003, 10:08 AM
Why not just use Quicktime on the PC aswell???
Seems like me your doing something that's not really necessary...

Noclar7
10-01-2003, 10:18 AM
hey,

We resorted to using uncompressed quicktimes.

Aegis,
There should not be any recompression on a DV file though if it is only edited with no post proccesing done to it though eh?I have read up on mainconcepts speall, but it wont really affect our pipeline for this project as the final peice will not be DV so there will be no compression to the DV codec again once post effects have been added. ( its to DVD )

Red_Oddity
We have tried using both quicktime DV and avi's DV on the pc exported from the mac with varied results. Whats even odder is a exported avi DV clip compared to a uncompressed quicktime. The colours are completely off..

anyhoo, tightly edited uncompressed movs are working fine, and I have even read that the animation codec for quicktime at %100 is also losless

Red_Oddity
10-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Duh, offcourse are your colors off...
What the heck do you think DV does to your colors spacing...it's probably the worst codec/format you can use for your video material...

DV is ALWAYS 5:1 compressed, no matter what, you will never get any better ratios...Resulting in artifacts...
Your color spacing is raped and causes banding and other silly crap...

To get the lowdown on DV either visit Adam Wilt's page (http://www.adamwilt.com/pix-codecs.html)
or go take a peek at OneRiverMedia's test site (http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/testing.htm#dv)

As for changes and re-encoding, this is probably because MS and Apple's DV codecs probably differ in versions

Cheers