PDA

View Full Version : My motion has a heart beat

Nangleator
02-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I have a nicely curved pipe model, and I found out I needed to create an animation of lights flowing along the geometry.

To create the motion path:

1. I used Point Normal Move to get the pipe very, very thin;

2. I used Merge Points with a small range to turn the pipe into a bunch of 2-point polys;

3. I selected the points in order and created the curve.

Then, to make sure the points along the path were equidistant, so my motion would be smooth and regular:

4. Created a single-point polygon at the start of my curve;

5. Rail extruded the poly along my curve with equal distance steps;

6. I used the number of steps equal to the number of frames I want in my animation.

Imported into Layout, this motion path did NOT match the length of my animation. I was way too long. Using Stretch in the graph editor let me shrink my motion down to the right length, but the motion of the light has a rhythmic pulsing to it. Not smooth.

Please tell me where I screwed up.

johnliebler
02-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Just a guess, but check to see what kind of interpolation was created on the motion path?

Nangleator
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Oh. I needed fractional keyframes on. When I was shrinking my motion to fit within the time of the animation, it was rounding out all those keyframes.

Thanks, anyway, John!

evolross
03-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow, that's thinking outside the box! Thanks for sharing. I dig the workflow you used to get the uniform curve... I'll definitely keep that in my toolbox.