PDA

View Full Version : LW Renderer

50one
02-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Was wondering the other day about this and not sure If anyone notice this(I'm sure most of you did) kinda weird question and hopefully you will understand:D Sooo I'm a 8.5 user and haven't updated yet to 9.6, was mainly using it for web content stuff(I'm a web designer) and it works for me pretty well I would say.

So recently I started to comparing the images from other renderers and started to wandering, why is the images coming from LW look a "bit dirty/blurred" not sure if you know what I mean, usually the High-pass filter trick was helping me but, comparing the images to those done with MR/Vray - yeah I know stand alone renderers...., cost as much as a new house hehe, so just wandering where that "grading" is coming from?

ingo
02-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Well LW is known for a smoother aa, but you can always try mitchell sharp to get a sharper aa.

50one
02-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Well I had a chance to play with the version 10, and played with the F9 a bit, tried the mitchell/Lanczos sharp but get nasty jaggies around the specular hit/where the edge was(Tried one of the scenes from the speed modeling challenges).

dee
02-07-2011, 04:44 AM
Exception did a guide on antialiasing, maybe it helps: http://www.except.nl/lightwave/aa/index.htm

50one
02-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Yeah, seen the except website, but completely forgot bout this. Thanks. I will post the images as soon as I will get to home. Got jaggies when used Perspective camera - AA 17 - Lanczos/Mitchel sharp, but the reconstruction filter was setup to Fixed, maybe that's why, plus tried to wrap my head around the new LWF hehe. Sooo much good stuff in the 9.x/10 version!:D

50one
02-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Oh yeah and stupid question, why is the Digital Confusion not working with Perspective camera in 10?

rhobart
02-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Make sure Soft Filter is turned off in the camera properties. Jaggies in hicon areas can sometimes be fixed by turning off adaptive sampling - although render times will go up.

50one
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Fortunately I haven't removed the image, here it is, Thanks to person - (don't remember the name - sorry!) from the Speed modeling challenge.
Take a look @ the picture and the setting used:

MDSPECIFIC
02-07-2011, 01:55 PM
We can't overlook the fact that many renders, even V-Ray, go through post process (color grading) and off course sharpening (exp. Unsharp Mask). So, when you have LW Render, you can easily lift sharpness in post.
Personally I'm using standard LW setup, perspective cam, and I'm trying to make balance between AA and AS for specific scene and render.
Another fact, when you have single image more sharpening is welcomed (details pop up), but with animation you will definitely have flickering issues.

50one
02-07-2011, 02:01 PM
yeah, as I said earlier on, I'm always doing re-sharpening in post, but that's not the case, I'm asking about where' that specific LW "look" coming from and how do I get rid of the jaggies circled on the picture above, more AA?double/quadruple the res and scale down?

MDSPECIFIC
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
AS WILL DO THE JOB, NOT AA!
LW 9.6 > Perspective Cam, Reconstruction Filter - Classic, Sampling Pattern - Fixed, AA 7, AS (0.07-0.05).
Post your render here, or scene file, we can make it work for sure. :)

zardoz
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
actually I did that model. good to see that someone is using it.

by the way, some good news here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8304237/ZX-Spectrum-relaunch-gaming-goes-back-to-the-future.html

achilles
02-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Look here, great works using LW:
http://www.dartrender.altervista.org/pages/Documents.htm

Skonk
02-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Fortunately I haven't removed the image, here it is, Thanks to person - (don't remember the name - sorry!) from the Speed modeling challenge.
Take a look @ the picture and the setting used:

What are you're lighting settings here?

Have you cranked radiosity up beyond 100% ?

If you have, put the radiosity back to 100% and make sure your light source(s) are at reasonable brightness levels and render it again; see if the AA has worked better.

If it's too dark do a gamma adjustment to bring it back.

Skonk
02-08-2011, 03:59 AM
Quick example of what I was getting at in my previous post.

Increasing the Radiosity or Light levels beyond 100% creates some sort of super-contrast in the highlights (as well as generally blowing the highlights out) and AA can't smooth it out.

So in this image (which uses all default settings appart from the ones listed, so it won't win any prizes for Rad setup) the version with radiosity set to 400% shows more exaggerated AA issues around the window; where as keeping the radiosity to 100% and then using the linear CS options to apply a gamma adjustment keeps the AA a little calmer.

This may not be the reason for your problem but I get the impression that it could be.

MDSPECIFIC
02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Here you go. :thumbsup:

Amurrell
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah and stupid question, why is the Digital Confusion not working with Perspective camera in 10?

I was wondering the same thing a while ago and didn't really get much of an answer. I wish it did, so that I wouldn't have to use classic in which digital confusion is applied each pass.

50one
02-09-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks Skonk and cheers MDSPECIFIC, yup stupid me that cranked up the radiosity and screwed something with the linear workflow, can't say what cause I didn't save the scene:D. That's probbaly from the over-excitment caused by the v 10 that I could test over the weekend - really nice btw.

Remember only that I was rendering with 17 passes AA/Perspective Camera/Oversample .1/AS turned off, seems that the AS is your friend:thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Anyway, bunch of another stupid questions:D
- Why there's no bucket rendering option?
- Why there's no Subpixel displacement - Or is it the APS, just diff name??

And general rendering question: Is the monte carlo method will give the smae output as the path tracer?Looked at the demo of Arnold and I was impressed, not asking bout rendering times, cause I read the recent paper from Intel about rendering and seems that Arnold is uber-optimized, just asking if the Monte carlo method will give similar output in terms of quality?