PDA

View Full Version : Lightwwave 10 keeps losing the IFW2 Nodes

TechnoBill
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi all,
I have a weired problem that is only happening with my IFW2 nodal textures. I use the Add plugin or edit plugins/scan directory to add them and it all behaves fine. If I quit layout and come back later they are not there any more and I have to add them again. It no problem if I remember because I just click add and its already pointing to the right directory. But if I load an object thats using them, I have to sit there for ages clicking as the prompts come up saying it cant find them.

Other nodes I have added recently like kuzeys metals are working fine and stay there. It only seems to be my IFW2 nodals.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong. :help:

its the 64bit version of lightwave10

TechnoBill

Kuzey
02-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Going by the link below, I don't think they have been ported to 64bit:

http://www.shaders.co.uk/ifw2_nodal/about.htm

Have you tried it in 32bit?

Kuzey

TechnoBill
02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi Kuzey,
Thanks but I dont think thats the problem.
It says on that link Windows 64bit and I actually use them on my 64bit Lightwave and they work. Its only after I restart layout, they are no longer in the list of Lightwave nodal textures and I have to add them again. Seems more like a config type issue to me.
I have not installed the 32 bit version of lightwave.

Its no biggy. I will have a play when I get more time.

Bill D

evenflcw
02-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Maybe LW has a problem saving your configs (LWEXT*.cfg)? Have you checked if they might have been made write protected somehow? Are they there at all ? Check the modify date on them. It should match the time you last quit LW.

Kuzey
02-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Ahhh...sorry, I was thinking Mac OSX and not PC 64bit.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

TechnoBill
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Maybe LW has a problem saving your configs (LWEXT*.cfg)? Have you checked if they might have been made write protected somehow? Are they there at all ? Check the modify date on them. It should match the time you last quit LW.

OK thanks for pointing me in the right direction there is something wierd happening with that File. I checked the file and it contained all the textures, I went in and out of lightwave layout several times, even closed hub and all OK.
But today textures are gone again and I check that specific file and it is 0 bytes. All other files in the directory are fine. :bangwall: Once again I added plugins, close lightwave and Hub too, and file stays intacked. Argh I can see this will be a pain hehe.. will check if antivirus program is doing something.

Bill D

Phil
02-09-2011, 01:15 AM
LW rewrites that file as it quits. If something goes wrong, it nukes the file entirely.

I also wonder if you have autoscan plugins enabled: LW10 changed how the plugins are handled in autoscan mode - it puts the plugin entries in an extensions cache file now. Perhaps something is screwing up in that process.

TechnoBill
02-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Not sure what the problem was. It looks like I got around the problem by opening the file in notepad while it was populated correctly and then saving it. It seems to have stayed put now for a couple of days.
I dont think it was a security related issue because lightwave must of been able to save the file in the first place for me to be able to open the populated file in notepad. But with wierdows 7 who can tell hehe
Its possible as you said, that on closing it had some sort of issue so it just blew it away.

:thumbsup: but it seems OK for now

TechnoBill