PDA

View Full Version : Hard surfaces with SLIGHTLY rounded edges

Dreamcube017
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm trying to make a shape with some edges that are not super sharp, but are still pretty sharp.

I know how to do whis with cube ad block shapes, but the problem is that this is an odd shape, drawn with a pen tool.

I not sure if I can use the knife tool on it as some of the edges aren't straight.

What should I do.

JeffrySG
02-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Can you just add a slight bevel to the edges? maybe try rounder with the rounding polys to 1 and the mesh density set to low.

Or you could use the multi-shift tool to bevel out specific sides of the shape...

hard to say what's best without seeing the object.

If you're looking to do a subd model you could look at some of my free videos on this - link in my sig.

Dreamcube017
02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Ok thanks.

I figured out how to do it with subpatch weightmaps... now I just need to figure out how to convert those to actual geometry.

rapscallion
02-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok thanks.

I figured out how to do it with subpatch weightmaps... now I just need to figure out how to convert those to actual geometry.

If you're using subpatch weights, you would convert the resulting effect to actual geometry by 'freezing' the object in modeler. You can control the amount of resulting polygons on the frozen object by adjusting the subpatch level in modeler's 'general options' before performing the freeze action; default is 3, but you can lower or raise it to suit your needs.

Or you could just leave it as a subpatch object, though it will slow down your layout interface response and increase your render times a bit. If this is a single frame render, you might want to just leave it as a subpatch and take the little extra render hit, but if it is for an extended animation, freezing it could prove beneficial.

probiner
02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
You could also Try Dpont's Edge node and Output it to the Surface's Normal Input. For this type of situations, it does the job right and you don't have to model them or increase the poly count like with Subdivision or Rounder.
Use the Edge Width wisely =P

Cheers

Dreamcube017
02-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Ah ok. WEll this is going to be put into a game engine, so I think freezing would be the best method with a subD level of 2.

Dreamcube017
02-06-2011, 03:34 PM
GAH I hate when LW does this.

How the heck do you get the dubpatch maps to work ALL the time.

I created an object just like before, I selected some points, Cicked on the Weights tool, went into numaric panel, clicked none under falloff, and move the mouse... and NOTHING happened.

What gives? Why is setting up a weightmap so rediculous? Why isn't this working? Some help is much appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: I got my instructions from here.
http://chrisevans3d.com/tutorials/weights.htm

I tried selecting the other fall off modes too... nothing worked. The values change but the actual shape didn't chagne at all. Does this only work in subpatch mode and not in catmol clark mode?

This is so frustrating. I hate when sometimes thigns work and other times they don't. It worked just a minute ago.

Andrewstopheles
02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Hard to say, can you post a screencap of what is happening?

Dreamcube017
02-06-2011, 04:28 PM
In this picture, the way I have it set up, I should be able to click and move the mouse, and the object should change, but it doesn't do anything.

Skonk
02-06-2011, 04:35 PM
If your aiming to put the models into a game engine you should stay away from subpatching and freezing; it will create an awful lot of polygons where they arn't needed.

Stick with polygons and manually round the corners using Rounder or LWCad's Mass Round tool (if you own LWCad); that way you have full control over where the polygons are used (i.e you dont want lots of polygons for a simple flat surface, you want to use them in places where you have detail).

JeffrySG
02-06-2011, 06:04 PM
If your aiming to put the models into a game engine you should stay away from subpatching and freezing; it will create an awful lot of polygons where they arn't needed.

Stick with polygons and manually round the corners using Rounder or LWCad's Mass Round tool (if you own LWCad); that way you have full control over where the polygons are used (i.e you dont want lots of polygons for a simple flat surface, you want to use them in places where you have detail).

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Either that or you'll have a ton of mesh cleanup optimizing after you freeze.... probably not worth the time.

CaptainMarlowe
02-06-2011, 11:21 PM

+1
If there isn't a DPont node around to solve your problem in Layout, there is always a useful tool to get it done in Modeler with LWCAD.

lardbros
02-07-2011, 07:21 AM
In this picture, the way I have it set up, I should be able to click and move the mouse, and the object should change, but it doesn't do anything.

Not 100% sure, but maybe try doing this without selecting your points first. Just tried it on my machine and it's working fine.