PDA

View Full Version : New LW 7.5 user questions...

melzer
02-28-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm new to LW 7.5 and have a couple of questions.

1) What reference materials/books would you reccommend for learning LW 7.5 modeling, animation and rendering?

2) Is LW 7.5 written to take advantage of dual Xeon cpu's?

Thanks in advance........Mel

Skonk
02-28-2003, 02:16 PM
1) Any of Dan Ablans books (Inside LW 6 and Inside lw 7 for example).

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/

And the tutorial section of this site.

2) Yes, lightwave allows u to set how many threads are used while rendering and its optimised for SSE2 Instructions. So it should take full advantage while rendering.
Modeling however will probably just use 1 of the cpu's since its a single threaded task. This isn't a lightwave thing tho, its same with all 3d apps.

James..

Matt
02-28-2003, 02:21 PM
I have 8 threads on my Dual Xeon and it definately speeds things up!

melzer
02-28-2003, 07:28 PM
James - Matt...

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

Mel

hrgiger
02-28-2003, 10:39 PM
How new are you? Didn't you get the training materials that came with Lightwave?
If you can afford them or get them used cheap, the desktop series of LW training tapes/DVD's are invaluable. But you should have gotten one with your Lightwave so you would know.

melzer
03-01-2003, 07:33 PM
No, i don't have a bogus copy of LW 7.5......if that's what you are assuming. I purchased the full commercial version at a discounted price from an authorized dealer on the web, that's why i didn't get the 'promotional training package' that i didn't elect to buy at full retail for $1,595. I own many high end Architectural packages as this is my discipline and would never consider a pirate piece.

I apologize if i am too direct with this response, but that's the way i read your reply.

Regards......Mel