PDA

View Full Version : Getting hotter still...

meshpig
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
The heat must be affecting my brain... can't believe I'm still sitting in front the computer. Our pool is so small it's almost like a tepid bath at this point...:)

Lamont
02-04-2011, 10:45 PM
What kind of heat is your equipment putting off? And what's the temps in the room?

meshpig
02-04-2011, 11:18 PM
What kind of heat is your equipment putting off? And what's the temps in the room?

Not a lot but enough to spike the average room temp up a bit as am close to it. Only have portable A/C.

It's 42 by the sea near the airport where the reading comes from... where there's also a sea breeze nearby.

Realistically it's like zero humidity and high 40's outside, like a fully wet towel will dry in 20 minutes and you burn your feet on the pavement. Desert stuff, like being in Dubai. Quite awesome really.

Silkrooster
02-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah your in a Celsius country. In the US that would be 10 degrees above freezing. lol. Here it is 16 degrees Fahrenheit. or -8.8888889 degree Celsius according to online conversion. http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

meshpig
02-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah your in a Celsius country. In the US that would be 10 degrees above freezing. lol. Here it is 16 degrees Fahrenheit. or -8.8888889 degree Celsius according to online conversion. http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

OMG, that's a 50 degree difference, (or 91.6F). - 8 would be a bit of a shock...:)

Ponyboy
02-05-2011, 12:35 AM
42?! Yikes... it's 24 here in Welly today and I'm sweating!

Ponyboy
02-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Yeah your in a Celsius country.

haha... doesnt the greater universe use Celsius? :hey:

meshpig
02-05-2011, 12:56 AM
42?! Yikes... it's 24 here in Welly today and I'm sweating!

That'd be nearing the high end there wouldn't it?

meshpig
02-05-2011, 12:58 AM

Kelvin:)

Ponyboy
02-05-2011, 01:02 AM
That'd be nearing the high end there wouldn't it?

Yeah 26-27 would be mega hot for Welly. The last few days have been unbelievably humid

3D Kiwi
02-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Im undecided if i like the 40+ heat here in sydney or the 20 odd heat in auckland with a bunch of humidity. Think i will go for the dry heat for now.

meshpig
02-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Im undecided if i like the 40+ heat here in sydney or the 20 odd heat in auckland with a bunch of humidity. Think i will go for the dry heat for now.

Sydney as in west island?... far out!:)

meshpig
02-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Don't think I'll bother with sleeping tonight...

OnlineRender
02-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Don't think I'll bother with sleeping tonight...

you been searching for nacked woman again mesh , I know its midnight but I dont need to see that :rock:

*Pete*
02-05-2011, 07:10 AM
ive experienced -35...5 days in a forest, no fire, no tent..no heating at all (yeah, in the military)...after that i really cant imagine that heat, no matter how hot, can be a problem....once you felt the physical location of your brain by the difference of the cold skull and warmer brain, no..heat cant, it just cant be a problem.

so, stop whining and consider yourself lucky ;) ...atleast you can drink a beer without the can freezing stuck on your lips...

*Pete*
02-05-2011, 07:12 AM
you been searching for nacked woman again mesh

heh...i quess its just the typical behavior of a overheated male brain...he will just think about women and sex.

JohnMarchant
02-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Kelvin:)

Need to send some of that to Queensland to dry up all the floods they have had

meshpig
02-05-2011, 10:15 PM
you been searching for nacked woman again mesh , I know its midnight but I dont need to see that :rock:

... hehe, well she came with a bikini but it was so bloody awful I had to take it off. Cool change about an hour ago, brain working properly again:)

meshpig
02-05-2011, 10:24 PM
ive experienced -35...5 days in a forest, no fire, no tent..no heating at all (yeah, in the military)...after that i really cant imagine that heat, no matter how hot, can be a problem....once you felt the physical location of your brain by the difference of the cold skull and warmer brain, no..heat cant, it just cant be a problem.

so, stop whining and consider yourself lucky ;) ...atleast you can drink a beer without the can freezing stuck on your lips...

This is true but in actual fact, or ironically prolonged heat exposures kills 3 times as many people over exposure to cold annually: Freezing to death is simple and quick; hypothermia, pass-out, die. Dehydration on the other hand is slow and excruciatingly painful; delirium, organ failure and conscious to the very end :)

Silkrooster
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM

I assumed so, but not positive.
Yeah I think - we all think that our own countries are the standard when we don't always see the big picture all the time. I think I said that right. lol.

Silkrooster
02-05-2011, 11:32 PM

The coldest I have been was years ago when I went hunting and froze my hair to the window in the back of a truck. Since then I have been too sensitive to the cold. I do not know what the temperature was that night. But it is possible for it to go as low as -30 Fahrenheit and Celsius. I highly doubt it was that cold though.

meshpig
02-05-2011, 11:51 PM
I assumed so, but not positive.
Yeah I think - we all think that our own countries are the standard when we don't always see the big picture all the time. I think I said that right. lol.

Celsius makes sense because the all important freezing point of water is 0 and @ boiling 100. A kilogram for the same reason; a litre of water weighs 1kg. Fahrenheit is so C17.

- Imperial measurement; for example... do you recall how many chains there are in a furlong, how many feet in a fathom? Ounces in a pound then fluid ounces and stones to hundredweights etc. It's entirely illogical:)

Silkrooster
02-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Its only illogical if you don't use it. some of those that you mentioned are rare instances, that only certain people would use them like sailors, pilots, heavy construction.

meshpig
02-07-2011, 02:03 AM
Its only illogical if you don't use it. some of those that you mentioned are rare instances, that only certain people would use them like sailors, pilots, heavy construction.

... we went metric here in 1966 and I only know imperial measurement because my grandfather was a farmer; ten chains in a furlong, 6 feet in a fathom. 66 feet x 80 chains in an imperial mile as chains define an acre as a 10 by 10 square.

His lot was 3000 acres so from a very early age knew what 3000 acres looked like in terms of landmass but it took years for me to be able to convert that particular perception to Hectares:)

gristle
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Well we had a southerly change here yesterday, so that high of 24 was decimated!

gerry_g
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Well imperial beats metric hands down for calculating many things, when you want to subdivide a measured distance you base shift from say base ten to whatever base you want for faster more accurate results, and we all know the problems of calculating pi metrically. As for temperature my computer room often hits 36-8C during hot spells so I decant to the garden patio with my laptop which is wired for power and ethernet, but then UK summers don't have the bug problems that the US an Australia suffer from.

meshpig
02-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Well imperial beats metric hands down for calculating many things, when you want to subdivide a measured distance you base shift from say base ten to whatever base you want for faster more accurate results, and we all know the problems of calculating pi metrically. As for temperature my computer room often hits 36-8C during hot spells so I decant to the garden patio with my laptop which is wired for power and ethernet, but then UK summers don't have the bug problems that the US an Australia suffer from.

Pi is a bit of a special case, like it's not something you usually need at the supermarket checkout etc. Definitely sympathise with the English hot spells though. Bugs? You mean Queensland:D

kopperdrake
02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
but then UK summers don't have the bug problems that the US an Australia suffer from.

Speak for yourself...I have to stare every day at several dead thrips that worked their way into every LCD panel a couple of summers ago, to then die inconveniently behind the glass. And don't even get me started on the nasty little bitey black things that live in the grass around here. It's obscene that once dusk kicks in during summer I have to change from shorts to something longer to avoid being bitten to death.

Duncan

gerry_g
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Well ok I get moths of various size and genus, and a small army of tiny nondescript things late at night, but A– they tend to spike in one particular month rather than be at a mean constant and B– if I stay indoors I get the same anyway cos the windows open. I guess it depends where you live in the UK what exposure you get to the problem, just as I should have said it depends on where you live in the States or Australia for the same reason.
Anyway they may crawl and irritate but they certainly don't bite, unless you want to post a close up of their huge teeth just to prove me wrong and show how fearsome they are ?

SBowie
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
... so I decant to the garden patio with my laptopI hope you don't decant all over your laptop (I've accidentally done that to my keyboard, and it had to be replaced) ... unless, of course, you meant "decamp". ;)

gerry_g
02-09-2011, 03:07 PM
no no I think I'll stick with 'decant' as in pour myself out of my hot sticky room into the cool garden where I can sit and be left to breath until I feel like being drunk :-)

kopperdrake
02-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Anyway they may crawl and irritate but they certainly don't bite, unless you want to post a close up of their huge teeth just to prove me wrong and show how fearsome they are ?

Hmm...next time my foot swells up to an antibiotic-needing state from a small bite I'll post a piccy ;)