PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Offices Alert

SBowie
02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
I just got an email that, due to current weather conditions, the NewTek offices in San Antonio will open at 12 noon today (Friday, 2/4/2011). Just wanted to give anyone who might be trying to reach someone there a heads-up ...

robertoortiz
02-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Be careful guys...
-R

OnlineRender
02-04-2011, 07:12 AM
damn weather must be bad ?

the entire weather syst3m for the world is screwed up .

SBowie
02-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I guess in most places it's not so much 'the weather' as 'how far from norms the weather is'. An inch of snow can be deadly in a place that's unaccustomed to it and unprepared for it.

This page seems to provide a look at current weather in the state of Texas: http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/weather/entries/2011/02/04/snow_covers_cen.html

robertoortiz
02-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I can attest to that.
We got hit by less than foot of snow last week and it paralized the city.

My fiancee was stranded at work because of the weather.

Hopper
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I guess in most places it's not so much 'the weather' as 'how far from norms the weather is'. An inch of snow can be deadly in a place that's unaccustomed to it and unprepared for it.
That's just a really nice way of saying Texas drivers don't know their a$$es from a hole in the ground when it comes to driving in ice or snow.

... and that's why I'm working from home today. :)

WillBellJr
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
There's always talk of global warming and how heat is reflected off the planet at the poles due to the white ice and snow (which is now rapidly receding!)

I think the planet may be trying to cool off itself by blanketing so much snow - problem is, we keep shoveling it up and carting it off so we humans can get back to our miserable commutes and day-to-day living...

I don't think I've ever in my lifetime seen snow piled up as high as I have seen in my area, sometimes higher than street signs, mountains of snow in the parking lot at my job!

I've certainly never had to shovel nearly every week before, and have my truck look like frosted shower stall glass being complete covered in ice like earlier this week, and we didn't even receive the worst of it!

If all this snow had been left it place, I'm thinking it may have actually done something to help the global warming issues.

-Will

OnlineRender
02-04-2011, 09:41 AM
There's always talk of global warming and how heat is reflected off the planet at the poles due to the white ice and snow (which is now rapidly receding!)

I think the planet may be trying to cool off itself by blanketing so much snow - problem is, we keep shoveling it up and carting it off so we humans can get back to our miserable commutes and day-to-day living...

I don't think I've ever in my lifetime seen snow piled up as high as I have seen in my area, sometimes higher than street signs, mountains of snow in the parking lot at my job!

I've certainly never had to shovel nearly every week before, and have my truck look like frosted shower stall glass being complete covered in ice like earlier this week, and we didn't even receive the worst of it!

If all this snow had been left it place, I'm thinking it may have actually done something to help the global warming issues.

-Will

good theory , I like the idea , I also believe there is something going on with mother earth , people forget that it's an actual living organism , and yes we do factor into it and maybe off-scale the balance ,Co2 blah blah blah but mother nature will always win , even if it means destroying everything in it's path .

PS weather is Scotland is screwed up as well .

its cool but 2012 aint going to happen, Busted have been to the year 3000 .

PS day off WORK for NEWTEK , yeah snowday , irony Matt joins and takes the weather with him , ha!

Red_Oddity
02-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Shouldn't it be called global climate change rather than global warming?

SBowie
02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
PS day off WORK for NEWTEK , yeah snowday , irony Matt joins and takes the weather with him , ha!Actually, yes - I just found out that this 'outtage' has been extended to all-day status.

walfridson
02-04-2011, 11:01 AM
any pictures?

prometheus
02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
mm..I wonder if some more city investments in snow plowing vehicles and
employment of people plowing would be I good Idea? yeah it would cost
but doesnīt it cost the city more when all functions stop?

Im not sure really of how much snow it is and how much it differs from
us up here in north in sweden/stockholm? these two latest winters has probably been the coldest and most snow rich in many many years(and I love it), but I think the city has managed it pretty well to keep the roads clean, the snow plowers are going at it night and day, the only thing you could complain about, itīs probably the trains not keeping the time schedule, mostly due to rail breaks freezing.

So whatīs the story really? does it snow so much more over there, or is it just lack of preparation to handle these types of weather conditions regarding itīs lack of people and snow plowing?

Michael

SBowie
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
mm..I wonder if some more city investments in snow plowing vehicles and employment of people plowing would be I good Idea?The snow plow operators would die of boredom. 'Snow days' are pretty rare in SA. Most days this time of year, someone accustomed to northern winter weather might consider a sweater, but a snow plow wouldn't likely see use in the average decade .. kind of pointless. I think the main hazard is slippery roads due to ice, and ice with a skiff of snow on top.

OnlineRender
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
mm..I wonder if some more city investments in snow plowing vehicles

my mates stays in Long Island and as an extra income each year , he sticks on huge plow on all his massive trucks and cleans all the surrounding streets for a charge of course

WillBellJr
02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Shouldn't it be called global climate change rather than global warming?

I can agree with that.

-Will

MentalFish
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
any pictures?

Ye :agree:

Pics or it didn't happen! :D jk

sandman300
02-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Great, the past 8 out of 11 days have been snow or ice and what Texas has today Pennsylvania will have tomorrow. :thumbsdow

WillBellJr
02-04-2011, 01:14 PM
...So whatīs the story really? does it snow so much more over there, or is it just lack of preparation to handle these types of weather conditions regarding itīs lack of people and snow plowing?

Michael

Well here in NY, I can say that first storm, the response was terrible IMO, due to sanitation worker issues - a lot were due to be laid off, they didn't bother to show to do the work.

There were a lot of reports of seeing plows driving by with their shovels up. The management denied the rumors of course.

A lot of it was to show our Mayor a face slap, again due to layoff and budget cuts...

Even worse, watching the news before commercials, they showed shots of Manhattan with all black streets!

The Mayor had the nerve to tell folks to "go to the theater and watch a play..." while the rest of use folks in the suburbs were stuck under mounds of snow - you could CLEARLY see something was wrong with that picture. I'm sure the tourists were all having a nice time in the city as the Mayor made sure was possible while the rest of us suffered and a coupla folks died cause they couldn't get ambulance service...

My block didn't get plowed for 4-days after that storm! I had NEVER seen a response that bad before.

Typically I'd see salt and sand trucks sitting around when it was just flurries.

When I started seeing news reports of ambulances AND buses stuck in the snow I knew something was different!

2nd storm, the response was way better (especially with GPS units stuck onto the snow plows now) - of course the clean up was much better.

The thing is, there's just been so much snow every week. The "blizzard" we had was TOPPED by the storm from 2 weeks ago, this week, we had an ice storm to add flavor to what was already on the ground.

It's hard to walk outside so the snow is so shiny - it's blinding at times having the sunlight reflecting in your eyes from every direction.

I have to admit this may all be my fault! Coming home from visiting family on Christmas, I actually said to myself getting out the car before going into the house "it's a shame we never get snow on Christmas - it would have been nice to have some snow..." Next morning, there was a light dusting of snow outside - I had to laugh at myself.

I haven't been laughing since considering every week since, I've been shoveling 12"+ of snow!

My job gave us that first storm off, ever since that, it's been "we're open at 12pm..." This last ice storm, they were nice enough to say "drive safely, we're open at 9am..." GRRR!

-Will

Silkrooster
02-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I never figured out why the sanitation trucks do the plowing in the city. Out here in the country the State and counties take care of it. You should see how much better the equipment is. Somewhere I have a picture from the '70's of a state snow blower clearing one lane of the road with the snow touching the power lines.
The one thing that I thought of this year from the issues that NY city faced with the storm, was the state should pass a law that each department have a minimum of 1 ambulance and fire truck that is 4 wheeled drive. Then when the roads are that bad, at least they can still get through.