PDA

View Full Version : : help: Import/modeling Question

bob221b1
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
All,

PLEASE HELP. *I am about to purchase Lightwave 10, I am pretty savvy with Macs and Final Cut Pro, but now want to*
try to add animation to my tool bag to help me through a new project:

I have a model of a space ship; it is about 14" long & made of resin.*
I want to have it sit off in the distance in my 'sequence/film', and fly to it with another model (a shuttle-type craft). *I have zero experience with modeling software, but am a quick learner. *

1) Can I take a picture with a good DSLR, and somehow have Lightwave create/tweak the photo to render it as 3D? *Then, as if key framing with FCP, make another 3D 'shuttle', repeating the process and slowly creep towards this ship in the distance?

2) How does one take a 'real life' object, such as described, or even as simple as a coffee table, or car, and 'import' it into LW10 for such a project?

3) Are there any classes one can physically go to in the Seattle area for LW10 tutoring?

4) Finally, I just signed up for the Newtek board yesterday. *If this is not the correct place to post this request for assistance, can someone tell me what the best board here for that is?

Thank you for your time!

~Bob
Seattle, WA*

Sent via iPAD.

wrench
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Welcome Bob,

To answer 4 first, this is a good place for the question. :)

1. You can't make your flat picture of the spaceship three dimensional, but you can fake it by using something called front projection mapping to use with simple geometry that is "draped" with your picture so that when your shuttle flies "over" the space ship it will put a shadow down.

2. You can actually get your object scanned into a true digital 3D model if you'd like, but it won't be free to do. Most people take photo reference and recreate the model inside LightWave - I would warrant that almost all the fancy sportscar models you see renders of are *not* real. ;)

3. For that I defer to my stateside colleagues in the church of LightWave to help you, you should also look at the usergroups section on this forum.

Good luck and I wish you every success. The folk on here are an extremely helpful lot with questions you may have.

B

bob221b1
02-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Welcome Bob,

To answer 4 first, this is a good place for the question. :)

1. You can't make your flat picture of the spaceship three dimensional, but you can fake it by using something called front projection mapping to use with simple geometry that is "draped" with your picture so that when your shuttle flies "over" the space ship it will put a shadow down.

2. You can actually get your object scanned into a true digital 3D model if you'd like, but it won't be free to do. Most people take photo reference and recreate the model inside LightWave - I would warrant that almost all the fancy sportscar models you see renders of are *not* real. ;)

3. For that I defer to my stateside colleagues in the church of LightWave to help you, you should also look at the usergroups section on this forum.

Good luck and I wish you every success. The folk on here are an extremely helpful lot with questions you may have.

B
Dear B,

What product/ where might I get my object scanned into a true digital 3D model?

Thanks!
-Bob

wrench
02-03-2011, 05:43 PM
This is a very good scanner (http://www.nextengine.com/products). A friend of mine in London (UK) uses it professionally.

B

nickdigital
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM
1) Can I take a picture with a good DSLR, and somehow have Lightwave create/tweak the photo to render it as 3D? *Then, as if key framing with FCP, make another 3D 'shuttle', repeating the process and slowly creep towards this ship in the distance?

2) How does one take a 'real life' object, such as described, or even as simple as a coffee table, or car, and 'import' it into LW10 for such a project?

1) You could take orthographic photos of your model and use that as UV texture on simple model version of your ship.

2) As other have pointed out you could either try to scan it or take photos and use those as background templates in Modeler to build it.

bob221b1
02-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Nick,

By orthographic, would that mean taking
a picture from all sides (6, 8, based on shape of course)
? By 'UV texture', does this mean LW10 would allow me to somehow
stitch those photos together as if now 3D?

Is Modeler a function of LW10? I'm sorry to be so
basic- just want to know if the LW10 product will
work for me. It sure sounds like I'd only be limited
by patience and imagination!

Respectfully request you be as detailed as you have time for-
Just trying to understand this what seems to be
very powerful product.

nickdigital
02-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi Nick,

By orthographic, would that mean taking
a picture from all sides (6, 8, based on shape of course)
? By 'UV texture', does this mean LW10 would allow me to somehow
stitch those photos together as if now 3D?

Yes, orthographic are the views that remove any perspective or angles. UV texture is just a technique during the texture mapping process. You could just as easily use basic planar mapping route as well. You're still going to have to generate some geometry for your photos to stick on. There is software out there that recreates geometry based on photos but I don't have any experience with them.

Can you post a picture of your ship? Depending on how your ship looks will influence which technique is best as well as how close you need to get to it in your project. If your ship doesn't need to move or rotate much you could possibly even get away with just animating a photo in editing. That might look cheesy but if it's a far away shot it might work.

Is Modeler a function of LW10? I'm sorry to be so
basic- just want to know if the LW10 product will
work for me. It sure sounds like I'd only be limited
by patience and imagination!

LightWave is split up between two programs. Modeler and Layout. In Modeler you build your geometry. Layout is where you render and do your lighting, particles, etc. I would suggest playing with the demo.

nickdigital
02-05-2011, 03:12 PM
It also might be worth just building your ship as a full 3d model. It'd be a good learning experience and would open up the possibilities on what shots you can shoot for your project.

Kuzey
02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Hey Bob, have a look at this tutorial, it's free and it pretty much shows you how to model using reference images:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/car/index.html

The whole process is not a 5 minute job, it takes time....a lot of it, but that's the same with all 3d programs.

Kuzey

bob221b1
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Nick and Kusey.. thank you.

I just posted a picture on my album. Nick.. please see and comment as you see fit..
Thanks again guys.. I'm sold.. gonna get LW 10.

nickdigital
02-05-2011, 05:17 PM
You could probably get away with some basic mapping of photos to simple objects. You'll probably need different layers of separation to get the main part of the ship to separate from the hull and etc. The upside of your project is that you have the actual model in your hands so you can take all the photos that you need. FYI you'll probably need to do some basic photoshop clean up to get clean image maps for all the different layers of geometry.