PDA

View Full Version : graphic card

lreyes
02-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I am in a dilemma, I want the best possible graphic card for my computer. I just bought a computer with NVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3. I do a lot of animation and graphics. I am afraid I did not get a better graphics card, I know NVIDIA are good, so I would like to stay with it, but is there a better NVIDIA for me to use. I have a 64 bit Windows7. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you are using a NVIDIA on a Dell computer, but will change if other graphic cards are compatible with my computer. I do not want to get the top of the line, but one better than what I have. I am using LW version 9.6.

wrench
02-03-2011, 04:04 PM
The 310 you have is not a bad card and considerably outperforms the 8300 I had until recently. You didn't tell us what sort of monitor you have last time you asked a similar question, but what is the problem you are having?

B

lreyes
02-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I am using the old moniter from my old computer, it is the Dell 20 in 2007WFP wide aspect Digital flat panel display. My problem is that my renders seemed to look sharper in my old computer using this moniter using a lesser NAvidia card. I am running LW in 32 bit instead of 64 bit which my new computer has, reason is that some external plug ins do not work with 64 bit. I am also using 1680X1050 resulotion now. It could be ME just thinking my renders do not look good. I am going to fire up my old computer and run LW and do some renders to see they are comparisions.

wrench
02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Plugins do need to be compiled for 64-bit, but there are a lot that has 64-bit versions so check if the plugins making you use 32-bit don't have a 64-bit version. 1680x1050 is the standard resolution for the monitor, so is it just your renders that look odd, or the whole display - do the buttons in LightWave look crisp for instance? Are you connecting through DVI (white plug) or VGA (blue plug)? Using VGA will also give you a lower quality picture.

B

lreyes
02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes, my buttons look sharp, it is the renders only that have some hint of jaggies especially on the legs, when I up my resolution in LW, it seem to take some off. I am using DVI connection. What I will do like I said before is set up my old computer and do some tests, could be that I have a bad graphic card...

wrench
02-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Post an image here? Perhaps we can see any issues, you could also post a screenshot of your Camera Properties panel with the settings you are using for the render you post.

B

lreyes
02-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Okay how do I post an image in a post, can I put an image without having to go to a link? I am trying my old computer right now...but I will get on my new computer and put a image if you tell me how to put an image so you can see. Or I can put an image on one of my website pages and you can go there and look, whichever is best. I will be back in one hour, if you will still be around or you can reply whenever your not busy..

wrench
02-03-2011, 07:00 PM
You can upload an image directly from your machine to the forum. When you reply hit "Go Advanced" and you will be offered the chance to add a file to your post with the button marked Manage Attachments that opens the window shown...

B

Gumby22don
02-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I would have thought that images looking less clear on the same monitor would have more to do with drivers than hardware - I'd be looking first at things like clearType, forced AA and other display settings, especially general ones, not the 3D specific page.

And most obviously, make sure you run at the 'native' resolution for your monitor.

Good luck :)

Don
have a great day

lreyes
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, I aM RUNNING NATIVE..I switched from 32 bit to 64 bit lw too