PDA

View Full Version : Setting a new tab in the firefox browser!

prometheus
02-03-2011, 01:03 AM
How the the H..do you set the new tabs in firefox to start with for example google as a start tab when opening new tabs?

Anyone?

Michael

brwainer
02-03-2011, 04:09 AM
browse to the page you want to see in new tabs, go to "Tools>Options", click the General tab (may be already selected) and under Home Page click "Use Current Page"

prometheus
02-03-2011, 05:14 AM
browse to the page you want to see in new tabs, go to "Tools>Options", click the General tab (may be already selected) and under Home Page click "Use Current Page"

Nope that doesn´t work for tabs here, it only opens up a blank page, it works for opening a new firefox window but not for tabs in the same window.

Michael

brwainer
02-03-2011, 06:31 AM
wow you're right. I did some research, ad I found this page:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t11740-how-to-get-a-new-tab-to-load-home-page.html

which says you need to install this extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tabbrowser-preferences/?application=firefox&id=158

and change a few settings. Hope that helps. Note that someone on the linked page pointed out that you could middle-click the homepage button to open your homepage in a new tab (which I have verified as true).

prometheus
02-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the research brwainer!

install extension, and change settings..blah, sounds ridiculous, they
better fix it with firefox update releases ..you might think.

Anyway middle click on the Home button will do fine, thanks.

Michael

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Anyway middle click on the Home button will do fine, thanks.

Michael

Hey, I didn't know you could do that. Cool. thanks.

borkus
02-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Yep. Thanks for the tip.

SBowie
02-04-2011, 05:34 AM
My 'Home page' is actually three pages - the NewTek Forums page, Google, and my Google Calendar. If I click the Home button on any tab, it opens replaces the current page with the first of these, then opens two more new tabs (pushing other open tabs to the right if necessary). This is what I would expect, really.

If you want to open a new Home page ( or 'Home page set'), as in my case, without usurping the current page, the quickest route I can think of is to add a blank tab by clicking the little plus sign beside the last tab, and then click Home. I never do that though. I have a Google icon (and many others) in my Navigation Toolbar. If I want to open a new Google page only, I right-click it and select "Open in a New Tab", or often, "Open in a New Window".

brwainer
02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I believe the Firefox 4 beta statistics indicate that most users only have 1 homepage, so they must not have spent a lot of time planning the middle-click functionality for multiple homepage users.

Glad I could help.