PDA

View Full Version : Ozone 5 Plugin for Lightwave

Marshun
02-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Any LWvr here having any experience with Ozone 4 have anything to say about e-onsoftware's upgrade to Ozone 5 Hyper-Realistic Skies and Atmospheres? Recommend or not? etc?

Silkrooster
02-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I think there is a thread on here about it.

jrandom
02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
While Vue software tends to be twitchy, oddly-designed, and often problematic, you're not going to find a better sky generator.

OlaHaldor
02-03-2011, 02:47 AM
I think they should have a comparison between Ozone 4 and 5 in order for existing customers to get an idea about what's actually new and worth the price.

I used Ozone 4 once after I bought it, and it was painstakingly sloooooooooow... Never touched it again. If Ozone 5 is the same, I will spend my money elsewhere, on something completely different than a sky generating plug-in. Something I need more.. :)

gerry_g
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
well the one difference and only difference that you really need to know about is that Ozone 5 will run either 32 or 64bit on a Mac or PC in LW 10, 4 only runs 32 bit on a Mac not sure about PC

gerry_g
02-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Have just installed this..........groan!!, first the good news
– yes it runs in LW10 64bit mode on the Mac woo-hoo!!, now the bad news
– the plugin still reads 'Ozone4' which is totally confusing but a quick get info will tell you its about 3Mb larger than the old one so it is new.
– Like LWCad you have to load a menus config file to get the custom buttons to run it, BUT........there is no generate licence setting, the manual says the 'help' tab in the newly created Ozone menu should get you there but it doesn't (in fact I'm yet to find any button in this menu that works), instead you have to hit F10 hunt through the render section and dig out Ozone–cmnd101 and add it as a tab specifically for this purpose, then the Ozone 5 splash screen will be invoked and you can go register online.
– Registration tuns out to mean copying segment by segment a one hundred and twenty one character code into the reg panel, I nearly lost the will to live.
– Still my objects turn black when I turn VPR on which sucks, anyway the upgrade was cheap and I don't have to go back into 32bit mode anymore so worth the grief (possibly).

CaptainMarlowe
02-15-2011, 02:13 AM
Wow, from what you say here, and since I'm still on Ozone 3 (so I would have to buy a full licence), I think I'll continue to generate HDRI light probes with Ozone 3 in 9.6 and use them in 10...

gerry_g
02-15-2011, 03:14 AM
No there is a upgrade from 3 but you will pay twice what I paid, note – if anyone else upgrades from 4 to 5 make sure you remove the old plugin from your plugins folder first and purge the old plugins entry from the plugins directory (F11) cos two sets of the same plugin loaded is what caused the menu config import to fail for me, it now works.

Phil
02-15-2011, 05:33 AM
– the plugin still reads 'Ozone4' which is totally confusing but a quick get info will tell you its about 3Mb larger than the old one so it is new.

Blame LW for this one - it's the same problem that affects Vue. Here's what e-on have to say, and NT agree that this is an issue :

'Indeed, we could not change the name of the plugin, because LightWave uses this file name to identify a plugin, and not an internal identifier, so we had no choice here, as we wanted to enable the compatibility with LW scenes saved with a previous Vue xStream version. '

– Like LWCad you have to load a menus config file to get the custom buttons to run it, BUT........there is no generate licence setting, the manual says the 'help' tab in the newly created Ozone menu should get you there but it doesn't (in fact I'm yet to find any button in this menu that works), instead you have to hit F10 hunt through the render section and dig out Ozone–cmnd101 and add it as a tab specifically for this purpose, then the Ozone 5 splash screen will be invoked and you can go register online.

Ugh. Vue 9 has the same cfg thing, and it works. However, if you mix and match version of Vue/Ozone by swapping them out behind the scenes (I use a script to change between 8.5 and 9.0 until I can transition totally to 9.0), the menu entries stop working - after every changeover, I need to re-add the menu entries.

– Registration tuns out to mean copying segment by segment a one hundred and twenty one character code into the reg panel, I nearly lost the will to live.

That's new. All previous e-on releases, including Vue 9, have allowed for copy and paste in to the license dialog.

– Still my objects turn black when I turn VPR on which sucks, anyway the upgrade was cheap and I don't have to go back into 32bit mode anymore so worth the grief (possibly).

I can only speak from the view of Vue 9 - that seems to work with VPR with no problem (with the application of a EEF update that came out not long after LW 10 shipped). It's worth filing bug reports, though. e-on have greatly improved their bug handling since Ozone 3/Vue 6 times. I rarely have reason to take issue with their technical support or customer service these days.

CaptainMarlowe
02-15-2011, 05:43 AM
No there is a upgrade from 3 but you will pay twice what I paid, note – if anyone else upgrades from 4 to 5 make sure you remove the old plugin from your plugins folder first and purge the old plugins entry from the plugins directory (F11) cos two sets of the same plugin loaded is what caused the menu config import to fail for me, it now works.

I hadn't noticed. Well, perhaps it is time to upgrade. Do you know how good does it work with instances (I still hope HD Instance gets 64-bits for mac in a not to far away future)

Phil
02-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Ozone 4, and Vue 8.4+ (perhaps even earlier versions of Vue 8, I'm not sure - certainly not 7 or earlier, though), integrate fine within the volumetric stack in LW. I haven't tested Ozone 5, but unless they really screwed it up, it should be fine as well, being based on the engine in Vue.

That means you can use it without any concerns (native or 3rd party volumetrics). I've not had a problem with the integration since Ozone 4 was released.

gerry_g
02-15-2011, 06:38 AM
don't have time to play today but one last thing from when I was fooling around this morning – I loaded Ozone 4 into LW 9.6 32bit and selected a preset sky (Classical Sunset) and rendered it, it took 22.7 seconds, I then quit and opened LW10 64bit and loaded Ozone 5 and rendered the same sky preset, A- it looked noticeably different and B- it took over twice as long to render, could just be a settings thing will have to check it out later.

Phil
02-15-2011, 06:41 AM
don't have time to play today but one last thing from when I was fooling around this morning – I loaded Ozone 4 into LW 9.6 32bit and selected a preset sky (Classical Sunset) and rendered it, it took 22.7 seconds, I then quit and opened LW10 64bit and loaded Ozone 5 and rendered the same sky preset, A- it looked noticeably different and B- it took over twice as long to render, could just be a settings thing will have to check it out later.

It will. The atmosphere system has changed between Ozone 4 and Ozone 5. It also changed between Vue 8.5 and 9.0.

In particular, cloud patterns will alter because of the way that the distribution is calculated. Without having Ozone 5 here, I can only provide information from Vue and hope that it might be relevant to Ozone - try lowering aerial perspective. If that control is available in Ozone, it should help.

This is one of my blocking points for a full migration right now. I want to spend some time on this, but other things keep floating to the top of my to-do list.

Bear in mind that comparing 32-bit to 64-bit is also not entirely fair if you are benchmarking.

lwaddict
02-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Ozone inspired me to just carry my SLR with me and capture/stitch any nice skyline I can...
it's more relaxing, that's for sure.

And from mountain tops looking down you can get some amazing stuff.
Again, nice relax time well spent.

It was either that our continue believing in a company that doesn't believe in you.
Since version 5 of Vue Infinite they promised this and that and continued to collect money...and some more money...did I mention they wanted more money... and now, several thousand dollars and several revisions later, they are barely starting to produce what was promised "on the box" (yeah it's printed right there) since version 5.

Get an SLR, go out and have fun. Trust me.

prometheus
02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Here´s four questions..

1.Is the LW10 VPR able to show ozone 4 or 5?

2.Is the LW10 VPR able to show ogo taiki?

3. does ozone clouds in 4 or 5 really obscure hypervoxels and particles.
( Im not talking about just render hv together with ozone, but actually obscuring it when a particle trail goes down behind clouds.)

4. why the h.. is Ozone so messy to add and configure, Im just a lazy guy.

Michael

Phil
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM
Here´s four questions..

1.Is the LW10 VPR able to show ozone 4 or 5?

I can't speak for Ozone (even 4 - it just never occurred to me to try it), but Vue 9, with a post-release update, works fine with VPR. Ozone 5 should work as well - it's the same underlying technology.

2.Is the LW10 VPR able to show ogo taiki?

Can't help with this one. I've not been able to get an answer from the dev so my licensed copy doesn't work anymore. It doesn't bother me more than any other dev who treats his customers like a bad smell, I guess.

3. does ozone clouds in 4 or 5 really obscure hypervoxels and particles.
( Im not talking about just render hv together with ozone, but actually obscuring it when a particle trail goes down behind clouds.)

I felt sure you asked this before, and I know that I've answered this many times before now. Ozone 3 would not obscure any other volumetric elements in LW. I reported this to e-on and after a fair amount of back-and-forth, they realised the error lay in their code. They fixed it for Ozone 4 (and whatever Vue version that was associated with).

I've used Ozone 4 in combinations with HVs, HDInstance, Dynamite, Turbulence 4D, etc. and since Vue 8.5, have used that (and more recently 9.0 in some projects). I've never had any issue with the volumetric integration - it works fine - you can look down through the atmosphere (including clouds, fog, haze, whatever) and there is no issue with the other volumetric elements that may lie within the clouds, behind the clouds or over the clouds.

4. why the h.. is Ozone so messy to add and configure, Im just a lazy guy.

Michael

Because LW is messy, by and large - there are fewer UI integration issues with Maya, for example, because the UI elements are dynamically loaded when you pull in the plugin.

Logistically, though, E-on could help by including support internally (via version tags) for at least one prior version (such that, with 9.0, you would get the same render result for an 8.0 or 8.5 asset as you would under that version of the software) and I had a discussion with them about the possibilities of adding something like this. They are considering their options to improve this aspect of things - it's clear that they assume people will simply stage their upgrade, but that's not always possible.

*shrug*

prometheus
02-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks phil:thumbsup:

I think I´ll wait until the ozone 5 ple shows up thou.

Interesting to see how turbulence works together with ozone and
also along with vpr.

Sounds great that ozone works with the VPR, The question is How good and how fast It works.
I guess it will become somewhat slow if youré using spectral 2 clouds, as in vue.

The spectral 2 clouds are quite a bit slower, and clouds using fractals are generally much slower than noise functions.

Ps..Yes you mentioned something about ozone working correctly with voxels, but It wasn´t exactly clear regarding the obscuring part I guess, and
I didn´t get ozone 4 to install, some issues there so I just gave up.

Michael

Phil
02-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Ozone 4 appears to work with VPR. :)

prometheus
02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Ozone 4 appears to work with VPR. :)

in 64 bit lightwave 10..or only tested on 32 bit?

I havent installed the 32 bit yet, already got 9.6 both versions.

Michael

Phil
02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Only tested in 32-bit Mac LW - I don't have Windows licenses for Ozone and Ozone 4 is 32-bit only (on Mac at least)

prometheus
02-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Only tested in 32-bit Mac LW - I don't have Windows licenses for Ozone and Ozone 4 is 32-bit only (on Mac at least)

Uhmm..I doubt ozone 4 will work with Lightwave 10 64 bit thou, I´ll see
if I should install the 32 bit version of lightwave 10, probably will have to do that for testing other stuff as well, I would like to test ogo taiki older demos and se how fast that works in vpr, I believe that will only work with 32 bit too.

Michael

Dodgy
02-16-2011, 10:14 PM
OGO taiki does work with VPR, but because of the license issue, you can only edit settings in 9. Hopefully it's something NT can fix their end because they broke it some how.

prometheus
03-12-2011, 03:50 PM
I felt sure you asked this before, and I know that I've answered this many times before now. Ozone 3 would not obscure any other volumetric elements in LW. I reported this to e-on and after a fair amount of back-and-forth, they realised the error lay in their code. They fixed it for Ozone 4 (and whatever Vue version that was associated with).

I've used Ozone 4 in combinations with HVs, HDInstance, Dynamite, Turbulence 4D, etc. and since Vue 8.5, have used that (and more recently 9.0 in some projects). I've never had any issue with the volumetric integration - it works fine - you can look down through the atmosphere (including clouds, fog, haze, whatever) and there is no issue with the other volumetric elements that may lie within the clouds, behind the clouds or over the clouds.

*shrug*

Phil ...please check my new thread in the lw community about ozone 5, Ive done some initial test, and you mentioned here that they fixed the obscure lightwave voxel issue, I can not see that it should work?
Can you prove me wrong on this, Render out an image to show that or something?

You also said you had no issues with the volumetrics, how is the volumetric sunlight working for you, as I´m showing in the other thread, you can´t have the volumetric sunlight cast shadow rays from lightwave objects, as it can with objects Inside of vue..there´s a compare image in that thread.

heres the thread if you can´t find it:)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117706

Cheers

Michael