PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use CityEngine?

jrandom
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I've been eyeballing CityEngine (http://www.procedural.com/cityengine/) Indie but I've had nothing but headaches when importing files made in other programs into Lightwave 9/10.

Has anyone used CityEngine (http://www.procedural.com/cityengine/) successfully with Lightwave? Were you able to import directly or did you have to use a third-party file translator?

(I'm currently running Lightwave 10 64-bit on Mac OS X).

OnlineRender
02-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I have it , don't use it much ! well tbh not at all , which is a shame because the new updates rock with vue integration .....

ask David he knows his stuff with CE

Svenart
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Just checked the medieval town example. The surrounding environment and the streets are nice, also the program seems very useful, but the medieval buildings are ... not so good. Is there a way to use his own models with this tool?

jrandom
02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Just checked the medieval town example. The surrounding environment and the streets are nice, also the program seems very useful, but the medieval buildings are ... not so good. Is there a way to use his own models with this tool?

From what I can tell, it is entirely possible to set up your own building types. Otherwise the program would be of limited usefulness.

OnlineRender
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM
From what I can tell, it is entirely possible to set up your own building types. Otherwise the program would be of limited usefulness.

in my terms ....

you write code which determine the node settings .

each building can be unique , generated by the user input .

CE is quick and impressive on the correct rig ! you can spam streets / env within seconds .

But if you have LWCAD you can knock the building / geometry up maybe more accurate but not as fast .

Silkrooster
02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Have have my eye on it. But I am waiting til I go 64 bit and have the Vue version that integrates with LW.

OnlineRender
02-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Have have my eye on it. But I am waiting til I go 64 bit and have the Vue version that integrates with LW.

let me know first before you purchase, I'll speak with Domonik and the rest of the CE team and put a good word in for you ,also you can book a test / developer live chat with them .

one thing I can say about the CE team , they are very efficient and nice chaps .

dballesg
02-03-2011, 02:15 AM
I've been eyeballing CityEngine (http://www.procedural.com/cityengine/) Indie but I've had nothing but headaches when importing files made in other programs into Lightwave 9/10.

Has anyone used CityEngine (http://www.procedural.com/cityengine/) successfully with Lightwave? Were you able to import directly or did you have to use a third-party file translator?

(I'm currently running Lightwave 10 64-bit on Mac OS X).

Hi,

I used CE Indie quite a lot. But tests to import to LightWave I made three tests.

One exporting one of the tutorials city as individual .OBJ and that gave me a few problems on LightWave 10 not reading the .obj textures. On LightWave 9.6 it worked, but the loading times of the saved LWS scene skyrocket, on the area of 2 hours for around 2000 buildings (very simple ones). That is due Layout having big problems with scenes that contains objects with many layers.

Second one, same scene but this time makin CE export the .OBJ as single lyer objects, that improved bit the loading times of the saved scene, but I don't have right now here the numbers, I will look for them and post them.

Third one, was exporting the city as SINGLE object, really the best one, because loading times were really quick.

As Steve said, the node editor is the only part I do not really use, I edit the rules by hand, really the CGA language it's not that complicated, at least for me.

one thing I can say about the CE team , they are very efficient and nice chaps .

:agree: They are really helpful. And they know very well their product. Pascal gave me couple of tricks to solve one problem that I had.

David

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 03:14 AM
let me know first before you purchase, I'll speak with Domonik and the rest of the CE team and put a good word in for you ,also you can book a test / developer live chat with them .

Good to know. It will probably be awhile though. I'll keep this in mind. Thanks...