PDA

View Full Version : LW10 radiosity problem rendering old 9.6 scene

alexoctagon2009
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi

I've opened up one or two of my previous 9.6 scenes and although they look OK in VPR, when I hit render they just blow out. I've turned radisoity off and then it looks the same as VPR so it must be something to do with radiosity. I've tried fiddling with all the options but I can't seem to track down anything that sorts this issue out, can anyone help me?

Cheers,
Alex

stiff paper
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Could it be because everything is set by default in 10 to be in Linear color space? There's a panel in the preferences somewhere for what things are set to what color space, and check in the image editor for what color space all your textures are in.

02-03-2011, 08:45 AM
You're in the non consistent gamma trap.
Look up the other threads on linear workspace.
Configure incoming and saving to sRGB as recommended.
Yes, your old scenes will be over-lit, but of the joy of not having to piddle around filling in shadows ever again. (almost)
(caveat, saving test renders defaults to linear unless you select sRGB each time you re-open the window, so a great looking image saves like the bottom of a coal mine)

alexoctagon2009
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your help guys but I haven't been able to work this out. I think I understand the RGB stuff but I'm leaving all my settings to linear for now to work on old projects. What I can't work out is that some of my projects open up and render fine in LW10 and others are massively too bright, even though I've been through all the CS options in prefs and image editor. The strange thing is that on the scene's that render too bright, they are appearing correctly in VPR...

funk
02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
You dont have any image or pixel filters enabled do you (ctrl + F8)? Like FP gamma. Those dont show up on VPR but DO on the render

02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I think you can only, at the moment, trust vpr to judge changes as you go along. I can't do without the occasional F9 test render to be sure (remembering to crank the AA & res down & then back up again afterwards. The F9 test render will show you what your render will look like on an RGB display as far as brightness/contrast/colour goes, if you want to save it to print then be sure that the box next to File(save) says sRGB not Linear.
If you'r not going to re-light old scenes sticking to everything Linear might be the best bet.
I would be very surprised at any LW9 scene looking right rendered in LW10 with everything set to sRGB.

alexoctagon2009
02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
I've just checked and no there are no image filters. I tried rendering without radiosity and that looks fine so it's something in the radiosity thats changing. I then put the radiosity at 1 bounce and 100% on LW9.6 and 10 and then that's where they look different. VPR looks like the 9.6 render. What a puzzle. There must be something in these objects or scene thats going funny.

Danner
02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
on your CS tab, set everything to linear except

"Display Color space"
"Output Color space"
"output Alpha color Space"

Set those to sRGB.

Sometimes I set my 8 bit files to sRGB too.

If you have your scene like that and you are not applying any extra gamma or color correction VPR should closely match your render (altho draft mode VPR might look darker since it stops at 1 radiosity bounce)

alexoctagon2009
02-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Great, thankyou for your help. I've just worked out what it was and it had nothing to do with the colour space in the end.

I had a huge white object in my scene which I have used to show my object with a white background. I always tick "unseen by rays" in 9.6 and that hides it from affecting the lighting whilst being visible to the camera. However, in LW10 it was also affecting the radiosity, so I needed to also tick "unseen by radiosity". This is great as it now makes sense, I often used to wish it did this in 9.6. :)

Tobian
02-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Actually Danner, no that's wrong. If you want everything to look just the same as it did in 9.6 then leave EVERYTHING on Linear, that way nothing will be interpreted or changed.

Yes, they have changed some things in radiosity, such as what 'unseen' does. VPR doesn't quite respect those settings either, which can complicate matters for previewing too. (VPR is still a bit of a WIP still)

Danner
02-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I recommended those settings more than anything because they gave me good results.

I haven't really tried to replicate the exact look of 9.6. but those settigns worked for my "transition scenes" those that were made in 9.6 but finished on 10, My scenes already had linear(ish) color space so it was a bit messy getting them to work in lw10. The renders didn't look quite the same.. they actually looked better!.