PDA

View Full Version : Horizon line softening?

Tony3d
02-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi all, I really need help with this. I'm trying to soften the horizon line between the sky, and the grass. Everything I've tried has failed. I'm using Fiber FX for the grass from within Lightwave. I've tried ground fog, using a long tube with edge transparency, and nothing seems to work. This will be animated, but the camera never moves. I really need suggestions, I'm out of idea's. Thanks for your time.

nickdigital
02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Try adding fog or depth of field blur.

Sensei
02-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Horizon line is the farthest geometry that is hit by rays from camera.. So you can make math equation in its surface Node Editor- Spot Info > World Spot Position - Item Info > World Position (and pick up current camera item) (use Math > Vector > Distance to find how far they're each other).. Then scalar from Distance node, plug to some Gradient and convert to something useful. f.e. Color (custom fog effect, with manual control of color and distance), Reflection (this way, the farthest, the more reflective), blending colors (Color Mixer), blending material (Material Mixer), or whatever you want.

dwburman
02-02-2011, 08:25 AM
If the camera/background doesn't move you render a frame touch it up in a paint program (make the horizon look the way you want it to) and use it as a background image.

Sensei
02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
If the camera/background doesn't move you render a frame touch it up in a paint program (make the horizon look the way you want it to) and use it as a background image.

Background image doesn't receive shadows from objects present in scene..

3DGFXStudios
02-02-2011, 08:53 AM
put some fog in the scene.

bazsa73
02-02-2011, 08:58 AM
or a biG BLUR!

mattclary
02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
I vote for fog.

dwburman
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I agree that the fog option is probably the best bet. I will, however, clarify or refine the background image idea to say that you could use an image on the background that would be the horizon line and the sky and keep all the foreground geometry for shadow/light interaction.