PDA

View Full Version : John Malkovich booed off the stage...

meshpig
02-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Sydney Festival and John Malkovich makes me want to puke at the best of times, he's such a ham.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/opera/casanova-proves-to-be-a-heart-breaker-20110121-1a000.html

The thought of him doing opera... not enough bile in my guts to throw up with:)

meshpig
02-02-2011, 12:51 AM
I mean apart from the fact that Casanova was a writer and the escapades were essentially literary, that effete 2 bit wanker JM could only bring disaster to his literary genius.

meshpig
02-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Where does it say he's done a bad job?

... like those who paid the full price to see Anthony Robbins and got the video cast on the Monday, it doesn't say.

The guy is a Ham, an effete dipwit and kills just about every film he appears in so 1 point to the SYdney Festival for booing the little **** all the way back to Disneyland:)

meshpig
02-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Too cryptic... don't know what? I'm speaking aesthetically.

Svenart
02-02-2011, 02:09 AM
well, I dont know very much about operas. Operas and Musicals are not really my thing. Even Theatre is for my generation hard to get a access to.

At all I only know one opera (or parts of it), and I must say Its f***ing GREAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PghOdj02Jew

At 1.45 Pavarotti really shows what he was able to (imho).

However, I think we all can be lucky that there are still such things existing like operas, theatre or maybe even Musicals. Have you ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? This movie maybe can give you an idea of what kind of "entertainment" we can enjoy in future :)

Lightwolf
02-02-2011, 02:17 AM
Too cryptic... don't know what? I'm speaking aesthetically.
Your reading comprehension seems to be a bit off though ;)
At least according to the article the problem is the piece itself that is causing the ruckus, not the protagonists.

Cheers,
Mike

meshpig
02-02-2011, 02:57 AM
Your reading comprehension seems to be a bit off though ;)
At least according to the article the problem is the piece itself that is causing the ruckus, not the protagonists.

Cheers,
Mike

Yes well, so much for the sydney bloody morning herald... humourless automatons.

meshpig
02-02-2011, 03:39 AM
well, I dont know very much about operas. Operas and Musicals are not really my thing. Even Theatre is for my generation hard to get a access to.

At all I only know one opera (or parts of it), and I must say Its f***ing GREAT!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PghOdj02Jew

At 1.45 Pavarotti really shows what he was able to (imho).

However, I think we all can be lucky that there are still such things existing like operas, theatre or maybe even Musicals. Have you ever seen the movie "Idiocracy"? This movie maybe can give you an idea of what kind of "entertainment" we can enjoy in future :)

That's pretty desperate though. If you think about opera houses being built to showcase vulgar crap like the Cavalleria Rusticana it's really no better than TV.

I like this as far as Arias go and Maria Callas doesn't actually add or detract from it since we live in the audio/visual age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsmoo97CVA

meshpig
02-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Yz61YhRNw what a facile wanker.

Juancho00
02-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Yes well, so much for the sydney bloody morning herald... humourless automatons.

funny how you choose to bash the source you are using in your original post....

pointless, pseudointelectual visceral rant

meshpig
02-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Did he hump your wife or something? So far your baseless ranting seems to be on a personal level. Maybe call him up and let it all out instead of crying here?

Ha ha and...? Sorry now that I missed the performance...

Svenart
02-02-2011, 05:42 AM
That's pretty desperate though. If you think about opera houses being built to showcase vulgar crap like the Cavalleria Rusticana it's really no better than TV.

I like this as far as Arias go and Maria Callas doesn't actually add or detract from it since we live in the audio/visual age...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsmoo97CVA

At first, thanks for the link. This one is known ofcourse, and I like it. I will watch it fully later.

Im sorry to hear that you dont like pagliacci (spelled wrong I guess).

After reading some of your posts I have the feeling that there is not much on earth you really like.

I can enjoy Opera, Theatre, Goethe, Classical Music and abstrakt art, but I also can enjoy a good Joke about farting :D

meshpig
02-02-2011, 05:46 AM
pointless, pseudointelectual visceral rant

Like you've never read Kant?

Svenart
02-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Like you've never read Kant?

If you know kant you maybe also know his theory about perception (example of colored glasses we all wearing but nobody knows..) :)

sorry for my crappy english, hope you know what I mean.

meshpig
02-02-2011, 06:05 AM
After reading some of your posts I have the feeling that there is not much on earth you really like.

Well it isn't like freakin facebook where you just tick "like" when you're told to. Freakin idiotic s**t that is.

meshpig
02-02-2011, 06:25 AM
If you know kant you maybe also know his theory about perception (example of colored glasses we all wearing but nobody knows..) :)

sorry for my crappy english, hope you know what I mean.

I do and who hasn't been perplexed at some point in their dealings with organisations?

glebe digital
02-02-2011, 06:52 AM
There's a lot happening out there that's being booed off the stage.....[the Egyptians are doing it right now for instance].

I think the JM opera is yet another symptom of the malaise.

We are fed up with our bread & circuses.

Greenlaw
02-02-2011, 07:20 AM
well, I dont know very much about operas...
I don't either but I saw Carmen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen) here in Los Angeles a couple of years ago. It was my first opera ever and I had a great time! Cigarettes, girl fights, and murder! What more could I ask for? it was awesome. :)

I'd love to go again but opera in L.A. is just too expensive for me. (This occasion was a special birthday gift to my wife who knows a lot more about opera than I do.)

As for John Malkovich, he's okay. To be honest, I don't think about him very much. I do like the Spike Jonze - Charlie Kaufman movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120601/) a lot though; it's one of my favorites.

G.

Iain
02-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Well, we all know that celebrities and politicians live in fear of a negative thread being started on their behalf at the Newtek board but of all the deserving divas and charlatans out there, I really don't understand what poor old Malkovich did to beget such a dishonour.

Have you seen Being John Malkovich? Hilarious, inventive and brilliant and his performance was genius. I'd argue that his vigour and passion are all too evident just in that 2 hours of work.

shrox
02-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I liked Les Miserables....

stiff paper
02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
If this is the right thread, which I think it is...

Can I just say how much I really dislike Nicolas Cage?

Iain
02-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Of course its the right thread.:) But what-even mad, risky Nicolas Cage of old? He brings that magic back occasionally now (Bad Lt, Kick ***.)

Now, thoughts on Russell Crowe please?

UltraViolet
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

He is good (I find his work in Beautiful Mind still to be his best) but he cannot even light the candle to Kevin Spacey, IMO, Kevin is one of the best male actors of our time :D

stiff paper
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
@Iain - even mad, risky Nicolas Cage of old?
Yeah, 'fraid so. I find him... artificial, insincere and irritatingly hammy. In just about everything. I've never wanted to reach into the screen and punch an actor as much as I did with Cage in Snake Eyes. I'm not suggesting this is 'truth' for anybody but me... but... but... anybody that finds him tolerable... needs to take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror... and then give themselves a really hard slap...

@Iain - Now, thoughts on Russell Crowe please?
Ack! I'm starting to feel like Meshy here... like I don't like anything... but... he's an incredibly boring actor. And seriously... people need to get over this idea that he's 'manly'... he is not manly... Lee Marvin is manly... Russell Crowe never rises above the level of petulant office clerk who's 'angry' because you've used too many staples this month.

GandB
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Since we're on the subject....

I REALLY think they're making a mistake by casting Ronan from SG: Atlantis as Conan. They could definitely do a movie about Conan being the older/wiser King; Arnold's perfect for that part. Arnold should be ex-governor just in time for the first shoot too!

pooby
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Arnold is great.

Silkrooster
02-02-2011, 10:36 PM

When he started I felt the same way. But he has had some good parts lately. Plus he don't talk as much. hehe. Action Movies have helped him greatly.

Silkrooster
02-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Since we're on the subject....

I REALLY think they're making a mistake by casting Ronan from SG: Atlantis as Conan. They could definitely do a movie about Conan being the older/wiser King; Arnold's perfect for that part. Arnold should be ex-governor just in time for the first shoot too!

Does anyone know why SG atlantis just stopped producing? It is so much better than SG-Universe. Actually Stargate was the best. I think they they are going backwards in quality.

UltraViolet
02-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know why SG atlantis just stopped producing? It is so much better than SG-Universe. Actually Stargate was the best. I think they they are going backwards in quality.

SG Atlantis, just as pretty much any other show on SyFy which was canceled, was canceled for monetary reasons, there was no enough viewers to justify the spending.

Two of my most favorite SciFi shows of all time, Farscape and Firefly, were canceled for the very same reason (I forgot what was the situation with Babylon 5, too lazy to check it out now, lol)...

I certainly agree that SG1 was the best in all SG series, but Universe was not that bad at all (IMO). They screwed up a bit in the beginning and show was kind of slow in the first season and later it started to pick up, but, it was too late I guess ...

BTW Getting Ben Browder and Claudia Black in SG1 was the single best thing they did with it, otherwise that show would be canceled earlier as well.

Caprica was a disappointment though, pilot showed a lot of potential, but over time show lost the focus completely IMO.

The best thing SyFy ever did was BSG, period :D

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 12:01 AM
And you go over to CGTalk and many there say the opposite. SGU was FAR better than Atlantis. My wife and I enjoyed all three - I'm just annoyed that SGU was canceled, just when it was getting good and the characters/actors were starting to gel. Oh... and Caprica too we will miss. Great FX and I was curious to see how the story would arc into BSG. Well, we have Blood and Chrome to look forward to - well, to being canceled I'm sure. :(

I think it takes me awhile to get use to the characters. But Universe lacked that coolness factor that the other two series had. I think it had to do with them staying on the ship for so long. Now they are able to stop the ship and stay on planets, now it's canceled?

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Caprica was a disappointment though, pilot showed a lot of potential, but over time show lost the focus completely IMO.

The best thing SyFy ever did was BSG, period :D

I didn't care for Caprica too much, too boring. BSG was OK, didn't get to see it enough to really get into it.

meshpig
02-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Of course its the right thread.:) But what-even mad, risky Nicolas Cage of old? He brings that magic back occasionally now (Bad Lt, Kick ***.)

Um, he does blokes...? John Malkovich... wtf cares? He's just some trumped
up remake of Andy Warhol who was a trumped up remake of Marcel Duchamp and besides, I don't look to the US for anything much more than computers and footwear.

Dexter2999
02-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Stargate Universe is getting canned because they modeled themselves as Voyager meets BSG.

The gritty human drama of people on a ship from BSG (which I personally enjoyed) turned off at least two people who I knew to be HUGE fans of the original SG and SG: Atlantis. Not enough comic relief. Eli was the only humor on the show, and that wasn't enough.

Oh, and the Voyager bit for anyone wondering, group goes through a wormhole to the otherside of the universe and want to find a way home. Even wrote in rebels throw in on the ship who have to be assimilated.

I believe Eli to be saving grace of the show in more than just providing levity. It is genius to make one of the two smartest people on the show someone that the viewers identify with. They get to feel smart by proxy. Would have worked even better had they writtten in another character for him to play off of. I had a great idea for a way for that to happen but it is way to late for that to ever happen.

wrightyp100
02-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Malkovich? Malkovich. Malkovich?!! MALKOVICH!

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Stargate Universe is getting canned because they modeled themselves as Voyager meets BSG.

The gritty human drama of people on a ship from BSG (which I personally enjoyed) turned off at least two people who I knew to be HUGE fans of the original SG and SG: Atlantis. Not enough comic relief. Eli was the only humor on the show, and that wasn't enough.

Oh, and the Voyager bit for anyone wondering, group goes through a wormhole to the otherside of the universe and want to find a way home. Even wrote in rebels throw in on the ship who have to be assimilated.

I believe Eli to be saving grace of the show in more than just providing levity. It is genius to make one of the two smartest people on the show someone that the viewers identify with. They get to feel smart by proxy. Would have worked even better had they writtten in another character for him to play off of. I had a great idea for a way for that to happen but it is way to late for that to ever happen.

Sounds like politics.

jrandom
02-04-2011, 01:07 AM
BSG was OK, didn't get to see it enough to really get into it.

The pilot + 1st season is really all you need to watch. Season two was okay, but seasons 3-4 were awful and the ending was a complete cop-out. The show got way too preachy and religious. It stopped being "science fiction" and become "we don't know what we're doing so we're going to turn a few more characters into cylons".

meshpig
02-04-2011, 01:27 AM
The pilot + 1st season is really all you need to watch. Season two was okay, but seasons 3-4 were awful and the ending was a complete cop-out. The show got way too preachy and religious. It stopped being "science fiction" and become "we don't know what we're doing so we're going to turn a few more characters into cylons".

Ooh, that sounds a bit like... John Malkovich, John Malkovich, John Malkovich:) I'll watch anything star trek minus ST Enterprise because it has the whacky credentials of william shattner seducing his way around the whacky galaxy. BSG was dry militaristic crap from day one. Sci-Fi is social realism and without that in the broadest sense it's not very interesting.

John Malkovich.

jrandom
02-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Ooh, that sounds a bit like... John Malkovich, John Malkovich, John Malkovich:) I'll watch anything star trek minus ST Enterprise because it has the whacky credentials of william shattner seducing his way around the whacky galaxy. BSG was dry militaristic crap from day one. Sci-Fi is social realism and without that in the broadest sense it's not very interesting.

John Malkovich.

I've watched 3 out of 4 seasons of ST:Enterprise and... I'll be darned, it's actually pretty good. It's no DS9 and does have the occasional lame episode, but it's highly entertaining and has a solidly "real" feel to it compared to other ST shows. You might want to give it a shot.

Beware of ST:Enterprise's theme song, however. It's horrible and out-of-character. I've been watching it via iTunes and I always skip past that awful title music.

meshpig
02-04-2011, 02:16 AM
I've watched 3 out of 4 seasons of ST:Enterprise and... I'll be darned, it's actually pretty good. It's no DS9 and does have the occasional lame episode, but it's highly entertaining and has a solidly "real" feel to it compared to other ST shows. You might want to give it a shot.

Beware of ST:Enterprise's theme song, however. It's horrible and out-of-character. I've been watching it via iTunes and I always skip past that awful title music.

The title music is definitely off, but after Capt. Picard and next G you can't just go back to the bif-'em-up of James T Kirk:)

jrandom
02-04-2011, 02:37 AM
The title music is definitely off, but after Capt. Picard and next G you can't just go back to the bif-'em-up of James T Kirk:)

Kirk? ST:Enterprise has Captain Archer. Kirk comes a century after that.

meshpig
02-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Kirk? ST:Enterprise has Captain Archer. Kirk comes a century after that.

Ha, exactly! Here's the original Kirk in action sometime in the 1960's:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VuIShM5kAQ

Svenart
02-04-2011, 04:38 AM
meanwhile this old startrek series is soo old, that its again interesting somehow... The Backgrounds look often like from a cheap theatre, and the plots, aliens, characters and action scenes are ... fascinating sometimes.

Svenart
02-04-2011, 04:39 AM
John Malkovich is superior to Star Trek. Star Trek is probably the crappiest show ever devised. It's the laughing at not laughing with kind of show. The dialogue alone is so toe curlingly bad it makes you gag and run away.

John Malkovich on the other hand is awesome :)

well.. I like both :)

meshpig
02-04-2011, 04:57 AM
John Malkovich is superior to Star Trek. Star Trek is probably the crappiest show ever devised. It's the laughing at not laughing with kind of show. The dialogue alone is so toe curlingly bad it makes you gag and run away.

John Malkovich on the other hand is awesome :)

Yes, probably but it does have the advantage of being based in well known maritime tales. The awesomeness of one totally up themselves actor is no match for the "text", so to speak.

Silkrooster
02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
I don't know if you guys have noticed it or not, but it seams like real life technology has just about caught up to science fiction. In some cases it is ahead of the game. An example is touch screens with scaling on the fly. Seamed like within months it was purchasable. I am wondering who contacted who when the scripts were written and the first prototype was created. Funny if it was the same person.

Ponyboy
02-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I liked him in "Being John Malkovich" and that's about the only film he's starred in that I was impressed by.

jrandom
02-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I liked him in "Being John Malkovich" and that's about the only film he's starred in that I was impressed by.

He was pretty good in "RED".

Ponyboy
02-05-2011, 12:50 AM
haven't seen it! But I heard it wasn't bad... I dont have as much time to go to the cinema as I'd like :cursin:

meshpig
02-05-2011, 04:42 AM

John Malkovich

littlewaves
02-05-2011, 06:01 AM

John Malkovich

GandB
02-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Just watched RED last night; very funny movie!

Iain
02-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Um, he does blokes...? John Malkovich... wtf cares? He's just some trumped
up remake of Andy Warhol who was a trumped up remake of Marcel Duchamp

Warhol?? Eh?!?
Am I understanding this post? Crowe is OK because he is blokish and Malkovich is crap because he isn't? Maybe there is some underlying issue tainting your judgement.
Also, interspersing vague and brief statements with esoteric, pseudo-intellectual references does not strengthen them in any way.

In my opinion, Russell Crowe is the most overrated actor I think I've ever seen. Maybe only slightly less so than Tom Hanks, Will Smith or Mark (bloody) Wahlberg.

Compared to these boring arses, singular charismatic talents like Malkovich and Cage set the screen alight.
(Oh, and give me Alan Arkin or J.K Simmons over Kevin Spacey any day!)

Jim_C
02-05-2011, 09:51 AM

The Great Buck Howard
Color Me Kubrick
Hitchhiker's Guide (eh)
Con Air (meh)
Dangerous Liasons
Shadow of the Vampire
Disgrace
In the line of Fire
Making Mr Right
Heart of Darkness
Places in the heart
The Killing Fields

all great (some campy) parts, not all great movies, and not all leading roles I guess

ericsmith
02-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I thought he was great in Man in the Iron Mask.

Eric

allabulle
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Arnold is great.

But still a beta just for a selected few, I'm told. :--)

jeric_synergy
02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Sci-Fi is social realism and without that in the broadest sense it's not very interesting.
That is ridiculously narrow minded.

jrandom
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM

I agree. I've seen some awfully restricted definitions of "what science fiction is" and while they're accurate in that those things can be found in sci-fi, they're wrong to think that sci-fi must include those things to be sci-fi. It's a wide genre.

allabulle
02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I agree. I've seen some awfully restricted definitions of "what science fiction is" and while they're accurate in that those things can be found in sci-fi, they're wrong to think that sci-fi must include those things to be sci-fi. It's a wide genre.

Ah, the good old semantics!

allabulle
02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
The character and his impersonation in Burn After Reading was excellent to me.

meshpig
02-15-2011, 12:31 AM
Warhol?? Eh?!?
Am I understanding this post? Crowe is OK because he is blokish and Malkovich is crap because he isn't? Maybe there is some underlying issue tainting your judgement.
Also, interspersing vague and brief statements with esoteric, pseudo-intellectual references does not strengthen them in any way.

In my opinion, Russell Crowe is the most overrated actor I think I've ever seen. Maybe only slightly less so than Tom Hanks, Will Smith or Mark (bloody) Wahlberg.

Compared to these boring arses, singular charismatic talents like Malkovich and Cage set the screen alight.
(Oh, and give me Alan Arkin or J.K Simmons over Kevin Spacey any day!)

Well, he's overrated in a really obvious way. No comparison as I see it, you brought him up.

Malkovich on the other hand has made being a Ham actor into an Hollywood icon and there's nothing esoteric about Disneyland.

- Was watching Sigourney Weaver and William Hurt in some bad 70's movie recently... 2 more Hams. WTF do you think she ended up doing ALIEN? As for the "kiss of the spider woman"...:)

meshpig
02-15-2011, 01:07 AM

So what's "broadminded"?

stiff paper
02-15-2011, 02:29 AM
So what's "broadminded"?

It's when an idea can pass straight through without ever touching the sides...

meshpig
02-15-2011, 03:56 AM
It's when an idea can pass straight through without ever touching the sides...

Not very fitting by the sounds of it:)