PDA

View Full Version : After Effects .rtv import on a VT[2]

creach
09-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Okay.

I've read the blurb on the Newtek Website that says VT is now compatible with Adobe After Effects. I have spoken to a Newtek tech support guru (Hiya, Curtis!) that told me how to let After Effects recognize .rtv files.

But for the lfe of me, I *cannot* find a post that explains how to make Adobe After Effects load an .rtv.

I really want to explore .rtv compatibility with AE on a VT[2]. Does anyone have some helpful advice?

Thanks!
Dan:confused:

creach
09-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Here's an exerpt from the NewTek press release found at this link:
http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/12-05-02a.html
"San Antonio, Texas -- December 5, 2002 -- NewTek, Inc., ...
Highlights of the new VT[2] update: Hardware frame buffer support has been added for Adobe After Effects®, After Effects® read/write support for VT® uncompressed RTV files, Support for..."

I *really* want to know how to make After Effects read and write .rtv files. NewTek has publicly stated this can happen.

I hereby summon the great gods and gurus of NewTek. Come forth from your hallowed hangouts and make yourself known to I, lowly user, Dan. Imbue upon me and my kinsmen the Magic known to me as "After Effects® read/write support for VT® uncompressed RTV files", and I shall be forever humbled by your supreme mastery of the byte, and henceforth will truly testify to all about the power and might of the Toaster and the glory known as NewTek.

Your customer and yada yada
Dan

Paul Lara
09-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Gosh, the easiest method here is to run the 3rd party utility in the VT[3] start menu, which will detect AE on your machine, and deposit the proper .aex file in the proper location for this to happen, Curtis.
;)

creach
09-30-2003, 07:14 AM
then what do I do?

Dan

Mike Watkins
09-30-2003, 11:18 AM
The rtv file format plugins for After Effects only support versions >= 5.0.
They are included in the most recent patch to VT[2], and many enhancements were made to them for VT[3].
But for VT[2], make sure to download the latest patch from http://www.newtek.com/products/vt/downloads/index.html. Before installing this patch, make sure that AE is already installed. Then install the patch making sure to run the 3rd party installer. The 3rd party installer part of the VT[2] patch install should find AE on your Toaster machine, and install file format and frame buffer plugins into AE's plugin directory. 'Tis done.

creach
09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
Thanks, Mike!

I am using AE 4.0. Your reply helps explain my difficulties. I'll take my AE back home, now. Where it belongs!

Now: for all the AE V5 or greater users that are using their AE on a VT[2]...what's it like? Is the rtv exchange working? Smoothly? With Aura leading into a high-dollar upgrade path, I'd like to know if the alternative will work dependantly.

Dan