PDA

View Full Version : Use game controller to control Modeler ?

Jockinafrock
02-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Is there any way to use a game controller (such as an XBox 360 controller for Windows) to control Modeler?

I mean - use a gamepad to move /rotate objects or control camera panning etc?

I can imagine the use of two dual axis thumbsticks and analog triggers on the gamepad could prove quite intuitive for moving around Modeler viewports or grabbing & rotating objects or motion controllers.

Just an idea that's been floating around my head recently.....

evolross
02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I think there's some 3rd party tools, I think free too, that allow you to use a gamepad/joystick designed for your PC to be used as a mouse, which you could then use in Modeler.

The reason I know is I'm into MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator - AK the arcade game emulator) and a lot of people don't want to use a mouse for the cabinet-machine they build, so they've researched and figured out a way to use a joystick as a mouse for the machine when they have to go into the OS to change/correct/update something.

I believe the software allows advanced mapping too, so you could probably map different analog thumbsticks to different mouse/button/keyboard assignments.

Google MAME and/or using a joystick as a mouse.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I use a Logitech G13 for some modeling. A few more buttons, or a shift key, would have been welcome.

Jockinafrock
02-03-2011, 12:57 AM
I have a Logitech G15 v.1 (with the extra 18 macro keys). Great for Lightwave, and World of Warcraft :-)

Jockinafrock
02-05-2011, 01:50 AM
So I've tried using Pinnacle Game Profiler, and it does work, but setting it up & testing it was far too involved, and it didn't really offer any benefits when working in LW.

Next time I have a great idea like that I'll just keep it to myself.....

jeric_synergy
02-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Well, when I remember to use it, the G13 is really quite slick. It's esp. nice for vuport navigation, as the thumb buttons are easier to hit than "ALT+SHIFT", especially when rapidly shifting between panning and rotating the view.

22 keys +2 thumb buttons and a joystick. 3 onboard configs.

But inevitably, there's some function that I start to use a lot that isn't on the keymap. every damn time. Then I have to move my hand back to the main keyboard. Feh.

evolross
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm sure you can get something working, but it seems like having some extra device to grab in Modeler would slow down your modeling workflow versus improving it. Mouse and keyboard work best for me.

jeric_synergy
02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I find it's best for tweaking, when I'm using a limited subset of Modeler functions.

Jockinafrock
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Is there a plugin for the Logitech G15 / G13 LCD? It would be nice to get some of the Modeler stats displayed on it.

jeric_synergy
02-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Not to my knowledge.

This would be a good time to NAG Newtek about it. The more people that request support the better our (admittedly, slim) odds. Nice thing about Logitech is that supporting ONE of their devices supports many of their devices: IIRC the same code that would enable the screen on the G13 to display stats would also work on Logitech keyboards and other products.