PDA

View Full Version : Align to Path Look Ahead

JBT27
01-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I must be missing something here ... I want the heading of a camera to align to path, which is easily set in the Heading Controller, and apparently you can use the Align to Path Look-ahead to have it anticipate the turn ...

Except it doesn't. It just continues rigidly aligned to path. So what else do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks.

Julian.

cagey5
01-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I get the same result, though strangely it has an effect if the controller is altered to align to velocity rather than path.

Wonder if that's a programming error and therefore a bug?

Jarno
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
That's not the purpose of the Look Ahead value.

In order to get a good idea of the direction in which the path is going, it steps forwards and backwards in time until there is an appreciable difference in position. The look ahead is the step size.

It is not intended as some sort of time offset.

---JvdL---

cagey5
01-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Well it appears the 'Align to path' command has got itself a fancy new algorithm which means the look ahead feature doesn't function as it did in the past but not to worry just use 'Align to velocity' instead and the look ahead function will function as per the old 'align to path' which I think you were originally looking for JBT27.

The good news is, it's not a bug.

JBT27
06-16-2015, 08:10 AM
Good grief - talk about slow motion response ... thanks, four years on - this just cropped up again and for some reason I never saw this response, or figured it out, or something :D