PDA

View Full Version : New from CG-Masters.com - The Rocketship Project: Modeling

Lor
01-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Hey LightWavers, cg-masters.com presents the first phase of an end-to-end project-based series. The Rocketship Project: Modeling. In this tutorial, we work from a sketch to model a rocketship toy from scratch. The rest of the series covers rigging, texturing, lighting, animating, tracking it into a moving plate, particles, render breakdown and compositing. This is not a beginner modeling tutorial, some experience with modeler is required.

If this project-based approach interests you, then you can watch each phase as it comes out in order over the next couple of months, or wait for the package price when they're all done.

http://cg-masters.com/videos/discipline/build

lor :lwicon:

cresshead
01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
link? images...videos!...pricing!

more info please!>> edit

$40

Lor
01-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Oh jeez. Yeah, thanks Cresshead.:thumbsup:

hrgiger
01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Well the modeling looks pretty easy so I wouldn't buy on just that but since it covers the whole gamut from start to finish, I may very well be interested.

Lor
01-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Well the modeling looks pretty easy so I wouldn't buy on just that but since it covers the whole gamut from start to finish, I may very well be interested.

Definitely if you're already an advanced modeler, either wait for other segments of the series that are more useful, or wait until the whole series comes out as a package deal.

Nick

Lor
01-31-2011, 10:54 AM
The modeling wasn't quite up to 4 hours, so we added in the rigging segment as well. Yes, rigging is only 40 minutes. What did you expect, it's a rocketship? ;)

Kuzey
01-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Haha....that is one funky rocket ship...best of luck :thumbsup:

Must stop thinking about rocket ships...must stop...nooooooow :D

Kuzey

Lor
01-31-2011, 12:42 PM
I have always loved Rocketships. I think it comes from my Bradbury/Heinlein/DelRey literary youth. Anyone else grok that? :D

Eagle66
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Does this first interesting end-to-end project series becomes the details of production VFX realism in the other parts?

Realism means like this CG Plane
http://www.artofvfx.com/LOST/LOST_LOOKFX_VFX_07.jpg

The model is not so important for realistic VFX workflow but the others parts - so i ask this, because the Rocketship looks cartoon funny....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJAURvvprC0

:hey:

Lor
01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi eagle66

The Rocketship is a toy that gets composited into a moving, live action photographic plate. If you are concerned with waiting to see what the final product will be, then just wait a while. The whole series will be complete in a few weeks. Plus all the segments will be available together at a package price.

But the short answer is, yes, the project aims for VFX photorealism in a step-by-step way that most people can easily understand.

We actually debated whether or not to release the series only as a package or one piece at a time, then decided it might be less expensive for some people who have more expertise in some areas and not in others, if they only want to get certain segments and not others.

Nick

Kuzey
01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Haha...I'll have to look those up one day :D

Me...I like the pioneers like Verne/Wells. Also, the futuristic designs created for sci-fi magazines and books from that period...up to 1960/1970 are just out of this world :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Lor
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Me...I like the pioneers like Verne/Wells. Also, the futuristic designs created for sci-fi magazines and books from that period...up to 1960/1970 are just out of this world :thumbsup:

Kuzey

:thumbsup:Yes, awesome. I'd have to say the rivets and hatch are definitely an homage to Jules Verne and the basic body/wing design is influenced by 1960's artwork.

Boo!
01-31-2011, 01:28 PM
...great stuff!...
...i purchased the LW10 texture vids 1 & 2 the other night!...
...great vids (havent watched them all the way through yet) but i was wondering about how you go about making the textures in the first place for a model in LW. would i be correct thinkin this set of tutorials would cover texture from scratch?...

Lor
01-31-2011, 01:40 PM
...great stuff!...
...i purchased the LW10 texture vids 1 & 2 the other night!...
...great vids (havent watched them all the way through yet) but i was wondering about how you go about making the textures in the first place for a model in LW. would i be correct thinkin this set of tutorials would cover texture from scratch?...

Hey Boo! Glad you're finding the training useful.
Yes, everything is covered from scratch in this series.

Boo!
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
...YES!:thumbsup:
...looks like im upgrading to LW10. this along with RebellHills RHiggit plugin is whats really made me pick up LW again. been playin with MODO for over 6months while on contract and i have to say i loved it BUT i still missed LW. you guys cover exactly what is needed (for me anyway)...
...the LW9.6 lighting tut came in handy for a project at work!...
...well as soon as the whole Rocket sets done im in!...
...GREAT STUFF!...Newtek i hope you are payin attention to this guys and gals that are creating these goodies!...:thumbsup:...!

Lor
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Never mind. I already mentioned that. Must be gettin' old.

Kuzey
02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm dying to see what kind of backdrop/scene you come up with for your rocket.

Check out my Venus & Retro rockets (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114337) if you haven't seen them already :D

Kuzey

Lor
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm dying to see what kind of backdrop/scene you come up with for your rocket.

Check out my Venus & Retro rockets (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114337) if you haven't seen them already :D

Kuzey

Oh man, I LOVE your rocket. Great stuff. Solid design work.

I'm afraid you might be disappointed by my backdrop. This is an end-to-end VFX shot treatment, so the rocket is being tracked and lit into a photographed moving plate in my house. So no cool planetscape on this one, just reality. Sorry. ;)

Nick

Kuzey
02-05-2011, 06:20 AM
Thanks, actually these things seem to model themselves. I start off with no idea of what I'm doing and end up with a model....it's scary sometimes :D

Looking forward to seeing how your rocket develops...all the best :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Lor
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
New from CG-Masters.com - The Rocketship Project: Animation and Particles
In this segment of The Rocketship Project, we animate the ship for startup and liftoff. We also use dynamics hypervoxels to create a rocket plume. 1.5 hrs. $15.

If you're one of the artists following along with the project, you can purchase this segment now to keep following along. If not, you can wait for the package price when the whole series is complete.

goakes
02-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi Lor. I'm going through the Light/Texture series now, and I am very pleased. Thank
you. In the new series (Rocket) previews you talk about the composting stage. My
question is will it all be done in LightWave? I do not have a real comp app at this time.

Thanks.

Lor
02-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi goakes,

I'm glad you're finding the Lighting Series useful. That's always good to hear and helps with future material.

The Rocketship Project is composited using Nuke, which is the kickassingest compositing software around, IMO. You can download and install a PLE version of Nuke, so you will be able to follow along without any additional cost. That's a main focus of my training. I don't want people to have to spend any more money to do the things I teach. Of course, the only drag about PLE Nuke is the watermark, so you can't use it for real compositing. But you do get to learn the basic principles of comping in Nuke, and those principles work exactly the same in fully licensed Nuke.

Hope that's helpful

lor

goakes
02-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Lor I will take that route.