PDA

View Full Version : Miniature ship Nostromo Reference,concept art etc

prometheus
01-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Might be of interest..
http://johneaves.wordpress.com/category/alien/

Some concept art, and restoration miniatures of the vehicle nostromo in the alien movie, I jsut love that stuff.
Could be useful to study spaceship hulls, for nurnies etc.

some other concept art, and photos related to the alien saga are there too.

I wonder How the 3d sets and 3d models have affected those old miniature model makers, Is it easy for them to find jobs? and how manyhave lost their jobs or had to re-educate to the 3d world?

Michael

shrox
01-30-2011, 01:28 PM
A major difference between physical spaceship models and digital is the appearance of recognizable pieces on the models. Like the Apache cockpits turned sideways, or common objects like markers made into guns and thrusters. With CG all can be custom, or existing digital models can be stretched or distorted in ways real matter just cannot be.

Set dressing still uses lots of everyday objects painted or cut to look different. I saw some ultrasonic toothbrush cases as some technical outcropping on Star Trek the other day...

JeffrySG
01-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Great link! Thanks!! :)

If you like scratch built models like that you should check out:
http://resinilluminati.com/index.php
Some amazing builders on that site!!! I'm JeffrySG there too if you join, but I don't get over there too much.

Kuzey
01-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Great link! Thanks!! :)

If you like scratch built models like that you should check out:
http://resinilluminati.com/index.php
Some amazing builders on that site!!! I'm JeffrySG there too if you join, but I don't get over there too much.

Hey Jeffry...do you build models....I would love to see some pics :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JeffrySG
01-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey Jeffry...do you build models....I would love to see some pics :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kuzey, wow... I would so love to have the time to work on a real build one day but I can barely find the time to fit in a speed modeling challenge every so often. It is definitely on my list of things I will do one day.

If you're interested in that stuff I highly recommend joining ResinIlluminate though. People often offer amazing limited edition kits that they sell that they make off of their scratch builds. The reason I joined was to check it out for reference material for 3d work and I also wanted to share my Star Wars reference photos that I took with that community.

The best thing is when these guys track down every original model kit (cars, trucks, planes, etc) that was used to build these ships so they can rebuild the ships exactly as it was on the movies... :D

Kuzey
01-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Haha...I was thinking that you might have at one stage :D

I follow a bunch of people on Flickr, that create amazing robot sculptures from found objects...it's fascinating to see what these guys come up with!

I'll have to check out the site, but me doing that kind of stuff....not in a million years...hehe.

:D

Kuzey

Davewriter
02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
And as they say in the piece - Bob & Kathy Burns are, not only the very best of people, but they have the greatest of toys in their collection!
The inner fan boys swoons just standing there with the original King Kong, the Abyss hero creature, the Queen Alien, the Day The Earth Stood Still saucer, the G. Pal version of The Time Machine...
JUST GREAT STUFF!