PDA

View Full Version : RebelHill Rigging Videos!

WilliamVaughan
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Simply put....

If you’re going to tackle any level of rigging in LightWave, RebelHill's training is a must. It should be required viewing for not only all LightWave users, it should also be required viewing for the LightWave developers. I can only imagine the types of future tools we would have if the developers watched RebelHill’s training material.

I wrote more about my thoughts on his training on my site here: http://www.pushingpoints.com/2011/01/lightwave-rigging-primer/

Enjoy!

GraphXs
01-30-2011, 10:14 AM
LOL! Yes, his rigging videos are amazing. I too need to get back into watching them.

nickdigital
01-30-2011, 10:22 AM
+1 to Proton's post.

Not only are RH's tutorials packed with information but the way he presents the material is very well done. You don't get lost and he's actually very entertaining to listen to which helps you stay engaged.

dballesg
01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
William you almost make I had a heart attack!!!! :twak:

But :i_agree: what you said.

Specially the part the Development team needs to watch his full set of tutorials.

I'm sure RH would love to see an AutoSnap feature included for FK/IK Blending! ;)

David

Titus
01-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I knew it was impossilble from Proton to say anything bad about anyone.

Rigging is in fact one of my Achilles tendon.

paulhart
01-30-2011, 12:31 PM
It is hard for me to imagine that someone at Newtek isn't paying heed to RebelHill. Much like Matt, he should be "pulled" in to guide the rigging part of the development. Not just to fix the broken parts, but to guide the way to really solid solutions. Here, here Proton, I second the motion.

Greenlaw
01-30-2011, 02:46 PM
In keeping to the spirit of this thread, William Vaughan sucks too. :)

Seems like you've been away for a long time. Good to see you back.

G.

COBRASoft
01-30-2011, 03:17 PM
This sucks! Nice way to attract the attention to a thread :).

I have to agree with you William, there are some superb tutorials out there from RH, you, Matt, ... The development department has to watch 'all' of them and take notes. What can be improved, speed up and must haves.

probiner
01-30-2011, 03:50 PM
this sucks! Nice way to attract the attention to a thread :).

I have to agree with you william, there are some superb tutorials out there from rh, you, matt, ... The development department has to watch 'all' of them and take notes. What can be improved, speed up and must haves.

+1

JBT27
01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Yep - they pretty much replace all the rigging tuts I've spent a ton of money on over the years, and they're better.

Julian.

Cageman
01-30-2011, 05:20 PM
I agree...

While there weren't alot in his training that was new to me, those things that were are simply amazingly good stuff to pick up.

I believe that no matter how good you think you are with LW and rigging, RH certanly has some tricks and knowledge that you were not aware of. So, to ALL LW-riggers/animators:

GET HIS TRAINING, IT IS GOING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AS WELL AS YOUR TEAMMEMBERS. IT IS THAT GOOD!

So.. I hope people get it? :D

zapper1998
01-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey man U had me Scarred there for a few minutes

ppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .. wow i am ok now

yes the vids are awesome ... yeppers

hrgiger
01-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I have mad respect for Craig and all that he brings to rigging in LightWave.

And I'm grateful that he is in hardcore and hope that LightWave developers will take some cues from him (and others like Pooby) for implementing a solid character animation system in CORE. Craig is very thorough in demonstrating and explaing what exactly falls short in LightWave concerning rigging and character animation.

geo_n
01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
It sucks that he doesn't make more training videos. Hehe.

jasonwestmas
01-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Rhiggit is the best auto rigger that I've used so far. Very pro setup there. Very cool how I can transfer motion mixer files to the deform rig via .hmot files. Kind of a must for cyclic character animations imo.

jasonwestmas
01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
It sucks that he doesn't make more training videos. Hehe.

Rigging, What's that? Just use Rhiggit. ;)

akademus
01-31-2011, 04:10 AM
We can make a headline out of this

RebelHill Sucks!
by WilliamVaughan

:)

safetyman
01-31-2011, 07:41 AM
I remember the first video of his I watched -- he took a bite out of a sandwich and continued on with the food in his mouth! I was hooked at that point.

santi_man72
01-31-2011, 07:53 AM
That videos he sells are really good. Now I can rig. At last! after years and years doing useless attemps.
Is so good it should be free! although I am happy I bought it

RebelHill
01-31-2011, 08:27 AM
I would say the comments are very kind, and very funny... but I think its just far more appropriate to say...

Proton swallows!

:hey:

hrgiger
01-31-2011, 08:29 AM
I would say the comments are very kind, and very funny... but I think its just far more appropriate to say...

Proton swallows!

I'm not sure, but I think this thread may have just crossed a line.

WilliamVaughan
01-31-2011, 08:30 AM

Proton swallows!

touché

RebelHill
01-31-2011, 08:32 AM
touché

Don't you try and "touché" me... Lol.

Ok, Im gonna stop now... there's banter, and then there's bandwagons.

Thanks all for the lovely backfeeding.

OnlineRender
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
:2guns:

Proton swallows!

:hey:

it takes a real man to do that . :rock: :2guns:

GraphXs
01-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow...this train just went off the rails......LOL!

MaDDoX
01-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Ofc Proton sucks too! Last week I was teaching a friend of mine (awesome 2D illustration artist willing to get into 3D) the ins and outs of sub-D organic modeling, then after a couple classes I proceeded to show him William's "100 random models" youtube video. After some minutes of drooling, he mumbled something in the lines of "omg, just subDs, no zBrush? I'll NEVER be able to do that!".

Seeing his almost stunned, de-motivated look, even as competent a modeler as I think I am, I replied: neither will I.. :)

Greenlaw
01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
We should all aspire to suck as much as these guys. :)

probiner
01-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Greenlaw... after rebelhill using the word "swallow"... the word "suck" got kind of locked to one of its meanings... So... So when you say...
"We should all aspire to suck as much as these guys."
Hmmm.... no ty... :D

MaDDoX
01-31-2011, 11:07 PM
"And that is why you fail..." :yoda:

No, that's why I animate ;) There's a certain amount of passion required to draw you to practice so much, personally I definitely love animation much more than modeling, not to mention I've practiced and studied it like few have the dedication to. Nevertheless, of course any good animation deformation (as technology stands) starts from good poly and loop flow, and that's the area of modeling I've specialized myself on, definitely not the detailing part (for that I love my maps lol). To each his own, if it wasn't for that the world would be a boring place :)

G-Man
02-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I was about ready to hit purchase and glanced at the forums and saw "Rebel Hill Sucks" so I didn't do it, now my credit card won't go through. Maybe someday.

Greenlaw
02-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Now THAT really sucks. :O

OnlineRender
02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
I was about ready to hit purchase and glanced at the forums and saw "Rebel Hill Sucks" so I didn't do it, now my credit card won't go through. Maybe someday.

did you try reading the thread rather than glancing at the title? and do you honestly think Proton would write such a thing ? ,please tell me you are being facetious? ,if you contact RH he will easily put threw the transaction .

------------
EDIT
------------

Ps William your thread title was brilliant , not only a touch of reversal marketing class but also funny at the same time , just goes to show how influential you are to the LW peps .

oliversimonnet
02-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Greenlaw... after rebelhill using the word "swallow"... the word "suck" got kind of locked to one of its meanings... So... So when you say...
"We should all aspire to suck as much as these guys."
Hmmm.... no ty... :D
Hahaha! :)
This thread is a good one, hehe.

P.S. The tittle of the thread seems to have changed.

OnlineRender
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM

probably Proton or the forum police ! reason being . "misrepresentation of character ". SUCKs! i know .:rock:

Greenlaw
02-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Wow. Now go back and read the first post. The new title sort of changes Proton's message. I guess Rebel Hill's videos are not real rigging videos.

What a jerk. :)

RebelHill
02-01-2011, 01:50 PM
This thread jsut keeps getting better...

and wierder

paulhart
02-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Just to be clear, I bought the videos, and RHiggit Lite, look forward to the Pro development and highly recommend RebelHill to all. I even made a pointed comment earlier in this thread that I hope that Newtek is listening, buys the videos, and makes the changes needed to push Lightwave into the foreground of animation rigging tools, rather than trailing behind. Maybe even "pull" RebelHill into the fold like Matt. While this thread has gotten "derailed" I hope those reading it don't lose track of the point that Proton is making.
Paul

jrandom
02-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I have had these videos for awhile now and still haven't had time to watch them!

(Stupid day job grumble grumble...)

Greenlaw
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I guess I haven't commented on the videos themselves. I bought them quite a while ago and have rewatched parts of the training many times since then. Rebel Hill's presentation is top-notch, very well organized and informative. Sure, I'll jump on this band wagon: Even if you think you know Lightwave Rigging, I highly recommend these videos. :)

MaDDoX
02-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't know what's funnier, the ridiculous and obviously fake comment of G-Man or people actually believing his BS and actually changing the topic title. I'm with RH on that, topic is getting more and more funny and weird. "That's what we want, yes it is", as he says heh.

Seriously now, I've watched a good number of rigging videos for Maya, C4D, Messiah and SoftImage. 99% (all?) of them offer a project-based approach to teaching rigging and well, guess what? Doesn't work. It just teaches you how to replicate a certain person's workflow, for a certain type of character, it doesn't teach you how to actually understand and think about rigging - which is, in the end of the day, the thought process about existing resources followed by problem solving.

Now, to be honest, that can't really be taught, but Craig actually makes a huge effort in that direction with his "let's try this" approach plus his extreme attention to detail, helping tremendously whoever has got the mental power and attention to follow him through. For that alone he deserves a round of applause. To sum it up, I haven't seen better rigging training for any 3D package, ever. Respect, bud! :thumbsup:

hydroclops
02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I just bought this weekend and am watching. They are dense with info. One of the best training products I've ever seen.