PDA

View Full Version : Power Point question..

Snosrap
01-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I know this isn't even remotely a question about 3D or Newtek's products, but you guys seem to know a lot about a lot of differant computer apps and topics so I'm going to ask this question. In Power Point is there anyway you can make it reference images instead of sucking them into the app. For instance if I have 50 slides with a custom png image as a backdrop and I update that image in Photoshop can Power Point be made to just reference that image on my drive and use it? Does that make sense? Thanks for any help.

meatycheesyboy
01-30-2011, 12:11 AM
You can not link pictures in PowerPoint. But I'll let you in a little known PowerPoint secret that may help to speed up image swaps for you. If you are using PowerPoint 2007 or 2010, the pptx files are just zip compressed archives. If you rename you file from a pptx to a zip file, you can decompress the file, find your image and just copy in new images with the same name then zip it back up and rename it to pptx again. Make sure you backup the original before you do it though, just in case.

Dexter2999
01-30-2011, 12:18 AM
You may check out OLE:Object Linking and Embedding.
I know that it referenced charts from Excel. If you changed the data in Excel spreadsheet it would update the chart generated from the data and auto update the chart Embedded in the Powerpoint presentation.

Used to work that way. No telling anymore with that "ribbon" crap. They are really dumbing it down. The issue with Embedding was always that since it was a reference when you tried to take the presentation somewhere you had to have the folder with all the source material moved with it.

Again, I don't know if it still works that way. I haven't messed with Powerpoint in a few years.

meatycheesyboy
01-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Dexter is right, you can use OLE linking. I had completely forgotten about it. I haven't used it in a long time because if I remember correctly, the linking was very very fragile and didn't work reliably.

Snosrap
01-30-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys I'll check into it! I used Scala years ago and that referenced images, but it also allowed you to "pack" them into a presentation for mobility. I love Microsoft software - made for the lowest common denominator - the dumba$$! :D

Silkrooster
01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
You may check out OLE:Object Linking and Embedding.
I know that it referenced charts from Excel. If you changed the data in Excel spreadsheet it would update the chart generated from the data and auto update the chart Embedded in the Powerpoint presentation.

Used to work that way. No telling anymore with that "ribbon" crap. They are really dumbing it down. The issue with Embedding was always that since it was a reference when you tried to take the presentation somewhere you had to have the folder with all the source material moved with it.

Again, I don't know if it still works that way. I haven't messed with Powerpoint in a few years.

I haven't heard of OLE in a long time. I thought MS did away with it.

Silkrooster
01-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks guys I'll check into it! I used Scala years ago and that referenced images, but it also allowed you to "pack" them into a presentation for mobility. I love Microsoft software - made for the lowest common denominator - the dumba$$! :D
I power point required? It could be done in most of the Adobe programs.

Snosrap
01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
I power point required? It could be done in most of the Adobe programs.

It's standard fair within our company. :(

COBRASoft
01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
I miss Scala and I hate WeakPoint :(.

Snosrap
01-31-2011, 09:19 PM
I miss Scala and I hate WeakPoint :(.
WeakPoint. :D

Silkrooster
01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
For being an all-in-one presentation package it sure is lacking in features. If they add more multi-media features, I probably would like it a bit better.

Dexter2999
02-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm no Mac guy, but Keynote is superior.

meatycheesyboy
02-01-2011, 12:35 PM
For being an all-in-one presentation package it sure is lacking in features. If they add more multi-media features, I probably would like it a bit better.

Just curious, what multimedia features are you looking for?

Sekhar
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I know this isn't even remotely a question about 3D or Newtek's products, but you guys seem to know a lot about a lot of differant computer apps and topics so I'm going to ask this question. In Power Point is there anyway you can make it reference images instead of sucking them into the app. For instance if I have 50 slides with a custom png image as a backdrop and I update that image in Photoshop can Power Point be made to just reference that image on my drive and use it? Does that make sense? Thanks for any help.

When you see the open popup (after Insert->Picture), click on the "Open" pull-down menu and you will see the "Link to File" option.

meatycheesyboy
02-01-2011, 01:04 PM
When you see the open popup (after Insert->Picture), click on the "Open" pull-down menu and you will see the "Link to File" option.

Wow, thanks Sekhar, I use PowerPoint daily and never knew about that.

Snosrap
02-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks!!!

Hopper
02-01-2011, 10:24 PM
You may check out OLE:Object Linking and Embedding. ...
Yup .. still works like a champ, but whatever you are attempting to embed has to be OLE aware and use the interface provided by the SDK. So a picture is still just a picture, but if you want to use OLE, you have to embed the app that provides access to the picture. This also means that your document will no longer be portable. If the system hosting the parent app (i.e. PowerPoint) doesn't have the same app installed that you used to embed the object originally, it won't work.

It was a great idea ... on paper, but the implementation never really caught on for the most part. the OLEObject interface sucked to work with and was missing a much needed security layer.

Yeah, I know .. way more information than anyone cared to hear, but it's late, I'm bored, and I've had too much coffee.

Silkrooster
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Just curious, what multimedia features are you looking for?

The last time I looked, it was missing exporting video formats, pdf, swf. If I recall it lacks screen capture. Especially video.

For doing stills, its fine, but presentations are moving towards what will wow the audience.

And I am positive I am forgetting a lot of features.

That being said, there are work-arounds. For example Snag-it from Tech Smith the author of Camtasia has a plug in for power point for embedding screen captures and I think it will export pdf's, not positive though.

Thing is, I think most users of PP, are using it for in house meetings.{ But it could easily be used in the out house, no thats just not right. :devil: } It could easily be used for customer relations/ad comp presentations/low budget promotions/etc.

Snosrap
02-01-2011, 10:36 PM

Unfortunately I'm finding that it doesn't work as expected. Create one slide and insert a picture using Link to File or Insert and Link. Save the presentation and then modify the original picture in some fashion and save over the file. Now reload the PowerPoint presentation and nothing has changed. :stumped:

Nangleator
02-02-2011, 04:16 AM
If you give PowerPoint a chance to mess up when you're live with an audience of dozens or hundreds, it WILL use that opportunity to humiliate you. I've done dozens of presentations, and seen some interesting disasters. About the only embedding I ever did was to another presentation, when it wasn't practical to switch presentations on the fly, and some presenter walked in the door with his slides on a disk or stick.

Even then, there's possible trouble. One presentation, for 150 people in my company, my guest speaker was an important executive. On his second or third slide, (not his first!?) the slide came up with all text in Wingdings. The audience twittered. Presenter froze. I went forward and back a slide only to see that the whole presentation was now in Wingdings, and unreadable.

The projectionist cut away to a still store to give me time to figure things out. I just escaped out of the embedded file to the original slideshow, advanced into it again, and everything was fine. Fixed it in about 10 seconds. Fortunately, that speediness added to my reputation, rather than detracting from it.

Wingdings. From one slide to the next, the whole presentation was converted to Wingdings. Freakin' PowerPoint!

Sekhar
02-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Unfortunately I'm finding that it doesn't work as expected. Create one slide and insert a picture using Link to File or Insert and Link. Save the presentation and then modify the original picture in some fashion and save over the file. Now reload the PowerPoint presentation and nothing has changed. :stumped:

Working OK here, just checked (linked, changed/save pic, reloaded PPT). Make sure you're saving the image with exactly the same name - e.g., PS adds a hyphen in the name when saving as JPG.

COBRASoft
02-02-2011, 08:39 AM
That's why I call it WeakPoint :). I never had troubles with Scala. The PC version was OK too, but they should have continued the development.

meatycheesyboy
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
The last time I looked, it was missing exporting video formats, pdf, swf. If I recall it lacks screen capture. Especially video.

For doing stills, its fine, but presentations are moving towards what will wow the audience.

And I am positive I am forgetting a lot of features.

That being said, there are work-arounds. For example Snag-it from Tech Smith the author of Camtasia has a plug in for power point for embedding screen captures and I think it will export pdf's, not positive though.

Thing is, I think most users of PP, are using it for in house meetings.{ But it could easily be used in the out house, no thats just not right. :devil: } It could easily be used for customer relations/ad comp presentations/low budget promotions/etc.

I know I'm going to sound like a weird PowerPoint fanboy here but I think there are a few misconceptions about PPT (as there are with all softwares) floating around. I think the problem is that most people think of things like PowerPoint 2000 or 2003 when they think of PowerPoint but that was 3-4 versions ago. You wouldn't talk about Lightwave 5.5 when talking about missing features in Lightwave yet for PPT people do it all the time.

In PowerPoint 2010 you can export multi-page PDFs as well as videos (default is 720P but I've tried it all the way up to 2K resolution with no problems).

As for screen capture, you are right, you can't do that in PowerPoint, but I'm not sure why you'd need to. It isn't really what it's built for, just like you can't actually record footage in After Effects or take photos with Photoshop.

In terms of where it is used and how much wow factor can be obtained, I think you'd be surprised. The company I work for did the keynote presentations for quite a few companies at CES this year, using a mixture of PowerPoint and After Effects) including Microsoft and T-Mobile. We support over 50 events a year (some in house some public facing) primarily with PowerPoint so it is definitely used for much more than just in-house presentations. But on the in-house front, our largest internal presentation that we do ever year has 30,000+ attendees so even the in-house ones can be pretty grand in scale. Here are some photos of the largest internal event we supported last year: http://www.silverfoxprod.com/events.html#1

Nangleator
02-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Here are some photos of the largest internal event we supported last year: http://www.silverfoxprod.com/events.html#1
Nice work! I always had bare bones stage setups. Those look yummy.

I earned a lot of living from PowerPoint, but I would have loved for it to have real competition. I learned one thing: to be presentation software means you can edit everything and create new slides, with the presenter standing over your shoulder, in the last few minutes before the audience walks in. And every feature has to be rock solid reliable, or it doesn't get used.

Snosrap
02-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Working OK here, just checked (linked, changed/save pic, reloaded PPT). Make sure you're saving the image with exactly the same name - e.g., PS adds a hyphen in the name when saving as JPG.

I just loaded the presentation this afternoon and it pulled in the updated images fine, so it must take a re-boot. :screwy: Running windows 7 64 and PPT 2007.

meatycheesyboy
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I just loaded the presentation this afternoon and it pulled in the updated images fine, so it must take a re-boot. :screwy: Running windows 7 64 and PPT 2007.

Glad you got it sorted out. I tried it yesterday and had no problems, I did need to close down PowerPoint then restart it to get the refresh but I didn't have to reboot my entire computer, but I am running 2010 so maybe it was updated between versions.

Silkrooster
02-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I know I'm going to sound like a weird PowerPoint fanboy here but I think there are a few misconceptions about PPT (as there are with all softwares) floating around. I think the problem is that most people think of things like PowerPoint 2000 or 2003 when they think of PowerPoint but that was 3-4 versions ago. You wouldn't talk about Lightwave 5.5 when talking about missing features in Lightwave yet for PPT people do it all the time.

In PowerPoint 2010 you can export multi-page PDFs as well as videos (default is 720P but I've tried it all the way up to 2K resolution with no problems).

As for screen capture, you are right, you can't do that in PowerPoint, but I'm not sure why you'd need to. It isn't really what it's built for, just like you can't actually record footage in After Effects or take photos with Photoshop.

In terms of where it is used and how much wow factor can be obtained, I think you'd be surprised. The company I work for did the keynote presentations for quite a few companies at CES this year, using a mixture of PowerPoint and After Effects) including Microsoft and T-Mobile. We support over 50 events a year (some in house some public facing) primarily with PowerPoint so it is definitely used for much more than just in-house presentations. But on the in-house front, our largest internal presentation that we do ever year has 30,000+ attendees so even the in-house ones can be pretty grand in scale. Here are some photos of the largest internal event we supported last year: http://www.silverfoxprod.com/events.html#1

To be fair, I only have version 2007. So I can't comment on new features in the latest version.
As for screen capture, that should have been added years ago along with exporting video.
Screen capture is great for recording training material. Yes you can use Camtasia, but video training is a type of presentation. I suppose you could include other types as well which would require graphs, excel, word, after effect, lightwave, photoshop, illustrator, premeire, encore, and audition to all be included.inside of power point.
Anyway, for me its not a big deal.

Snosrap
02-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the help everybody, I delivered the presentation today and it was big hit. The presentation was about front projection matching using LW and was given to our sales group as a possible change for our product design renderings. I quickly explained the technique and showed some samples in the presentation. See it was LW related after all. :thumbsup:

meatycheesyboy
02-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Congratulations Snosrap, glad you got it sorted and the presentation was a hit.

Silkrooster
02-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Sounds like it was a success, congrats...