PDA

View Full Version : Sliders Nightmare!!

Paul_Boland
01-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Folks.

Ok, this is really driving me mad... I'm trying to work with Sliders, I have a number of character models rigged with controls with Sliders. However, I'm finding it impossible to work with Sliders!! Either I'm doing something wrong, or there is a problem with the implementation of Sliders in Lightwave.

I've attached a zip file to this post as an example. When you unzip it, you will have the following files:
Thingy 1.lwo
Thingy 1.lws
Thingy 2.lwo
Thingy 2.lws
Thingy 3.lwo
Thingy 3.lws
All Thingys.lws

This is a basic model, a coin like object with two arms attached. The arms can rotate 30degrees up and down on each coin. There are slider controls applied to each coin.

Open the scene, All Thingys.lws. You will see the three Thingys and what looks like one set of Sliders controls, but in fact there are three there, all on top of each other.

Click on the Modify tab, click on Sliders to turn them on, and try to move the three Slider controls apart so you can see each set of controls. Me, I can successfully move one of the controls away, but the other two are left sitting on top of each other with no way to interact with them at all!?!

I've tried selecting the appropriate object from the Objects List and then moving the Sliders, no luck! I tried double click, right clicking, clicking both mouse buttons at the same time, no luck!! I tried turning off Sliders and turning them back on, no luck!!!!!!!!!!! AAAGGGHHH!!!!

The scene file in question that's causing me nightmares has TEN characters in it all with Sliders applied and all ten slider controls are sitting on top of each other, in each view port (I use four view ports in Layout), with no way to seperate them, interact with them, and I'm about ready to tear my hair out!!

Surely working with Sliders is not this hard!! Am I doing something wrong? Or can others here see the issues I'm having, meaning there is a problem in Lightwave? Sliders are a fantastic tool of character animation, all the packages implement them, I worked them in TrueSpace for years before I came over to Lightwave, but here, here they are a nightmare to work with!! Please, can someone take a look at this and let me know is it me, something I'm not doing right, or is there a problem with Sliders in Lightwave?

I really do want to get into character animation. What do others here use for this field, can you recommend any plugin's for this area?

Thanks.

nickdigital
01-29-2011, 07:16 PM
See if this autoslider toggle plug-in helps.

ef AutoSliderToggle
http://people.dsv.su.se/~dan-dulb/evenflow3d/index.php

The thing with sliders is that just because you have the object that has the slider attached to it, you still might need to click on the Sliders tools button to access the slider. Sometimes working with sliders is a two step operation.

1. Select the object that has the slider attached to it.
2. Then hit the Sliders button. I think LW defaults to ctrl+D to activate a slider.

Instead of sliders sometimes I just use null objects that are limited to 0-1 in the X position channel. It makes them easier to grab since you're just selecting an object and you can also see the keyframe ticks in the timeline.

Paul_Boland
01-29-2011, 07:28 PM

ef AutoSliderToggle

The thing with sliders is that just because you have the object that has the slider attached to it, you still might need to click on the Sliders tools button to access the slider. Sometimes working with sliders is a two step operation.

1. Select the object that has the slider attached to it.
2. Then hit the Sliders button. I think LW defaults to ctrl+D to activate a slider.

Instead of sliders sometimes I just use null objects that are limited to 0-1 in the X position channel. It makes them easier to grab since you're just selecting an object and you can also see the keyframe ticks in the timeline.

Aw man, you've saved me from going bald! LOL!! Your advice worked. What you have to do is, select the object you want to work with, then you have to click Sliders twice (once doesn't do it), and then the Slider controls become active.

Thanks, very much appreciated. And thanks for the plugin advice too, I have that downloaded from a previous post, I am going to install it and see if clears up the clutter.

nickdigital
01-29-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm glad I could help you keep your hair follicles. :)

Paul_Boland
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM

ef AutoSliderToggle

I installed this plugin into Lightwave 10 today, did a test run, and I'm delighted to report it works perfectly!! This is a huge blessing to have and for anyone who is working with many characters with Sliders added to them, this is a must!!

Thanks for your help again, Nick, much appreciated.
:thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
02-03-2011, 02:22 PM
You might want to use that DONATE button to thank evenflw in a concrete fashion:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1106440#post1106440

Paul_Boland
02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
You might want to use that DONATE button to thank evenflw in a concrete fashion:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1106440#post1106440

I will indeed do this, thanks for the suggestion.