PDA

View Full Version : Background Transparency help

rncjay
01-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi all,
Appreciate some help on a couple of matters:-
1) My project involves an animation wherein I need to spin an object while ensuring that the background is transparent. The need for the transparent background is to enable the animation to be placed on any web page without the background being seen.
2) I need to know the best application for me to test this ie. take a static web page and and overlay the animation for a visual test of the result.

Thanks heaps in advance

toby
01-28-2011, 09:50 PM
You need to find out what image format will work for you; animated gifs can do it, but they're kinda crude. I'm sure Flash can do it too but have no idea how that works.

You can make animated gifs in Adobe ImageReady, and maybe animated png format does transparency... actually, this is a better question for a web designer forum. All you need from lightwave is to make sure you keep the alpha channel, the rest is all web developer stuff.

rncjay
01-28-2011, 10:02 PM
So how do I include the Alpha channel in the animation? Should I save the individual frames as Targa 32 files? and then combine using QT. Would this retain the alpha channel?

toby
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
Yes that would do it, as long as it's a 32bit format. You have to make sure the QT format you use also supports alphas. Uncompressed, Animation and PNG do, just make sure to turn it on.

rncjay
01-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks heaps. Will give it a try. I think that my mistake was not taking note of the QT settings.

toby
01-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh - QT has to be set to "millions of colors +" to keep the alpha.

Were you going to try and use the QT directly on the webpage? Not sure if that will work - at least, last I heard, no one was doing that.

rncjay
01-28-2011, 10:37 PM
No I was going to first convert it to a MOV file using QT. Then somehow convert to a FLV file retaining the alpha channel to be used on the website. I am not developing the website myself but the developer wants a FLV file with a transparent background. Maybe I am going about it the wrong way?

toby
01-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I'm sure if that's what he's asking for it'll work!

rncjay
01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey Toby, Sorry to be a pain. I am using the Open Image Sequence option under the File tab to create my mov file from my Targa32 files. I have looked change the QT format as suggested by you earlier but I cannot find it. Could you please let me know where this oprion is please?

prometheus
01-29-2011, 08:34 AM
here´s a sample of a turbulence fluid render output to 32 bit png format, and just loaded in to after effect without need to color keying or us e masks..videosample on vimeo is a bit heavy thou,

I wanted to see how the animation codec was working since h.264 codec was a little washed out in colors, videosample is here..

http://vimeo.com/19305733

I do testrender of the fluids on blue background to check opacity where smoke fades out to see if it looks good, I switch background to black when rendering out thou.

Michael

toby
01-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey Toby, Sorry to be a pain. I am using the Open Image Sequence option under the File tab to create my mov file from my Targa32 files. I have looked change the QT format as suggested by you earlier but I cannot find it. Could you please let me know where this oprion is please?
No trouble at all. After loading the image sequence go to 'File/Export', at the bottom of the next window choose 'quicktime movie' then hit Options.

rncjay
02-05-2011, 05:28 AM
Hi Toby... all good now. Thanks for your help.

toby
02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
:beerchug: