PDA

View Full Version : rendering a complex textures scene WITHOUT Textures

Svenart
01-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi,

maybe this is a lame question but I could not found anything using the searchfunction.

Im looking for a way to render a complex scene with alot of textured objects, but all objects should be rendered white or "clay".

Does anyone knows an existing script or plugin for this?

JeffrySG
01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
What I do is make a copy of all the lwo files and put them in a new folder - and then just change all of the surfaces to a single clay surface for rendering. Then just bring back the original objects when you're done with the clay render. It's easy if you don't have a ton of objects but could be a pain if you have a lot of lwo files to open.

Svenart
01-28-2011, 09:43 PM
What I do is make a copy of all the lwo files and put them in a new folder - and then just change all of the surfaces to a single clay surface for rendering. Then just bring back the original objects when you're done with the clay render. It's easy if you don't have a ton of objects but could be a pain if you have a lot of lwo files to open.

thanks. Sure I know this would be possible, but I was looking for a more comfortable way (one click if possible), also for complex scenes.

nickdigital
01-28-2011, 09:46 PM
What about shaderMeister?
http://www.db-w.com/content/view/126/116/

Svenart
01-28-2011, 09:59 PM
thats close to what Im looking for, thank you.

The reason to ask for this, was that I was thinking about writing such a script and release it for free, IF there is not already a free script/plugin that does it. And of course, If anybody would be interested in this...

nickdigital
01-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Oooh, I would be.

JeffrySG
01-28-2011, 11:02 PM
That would be very cool. :)

It would be nice if you could just make it so every texture renders as a special texture with a specific name (something like "globaltexture") during rendering. Or something like that... I know that I would find it useful, I'm sure other people would as well! :thumbsup:

edit: Nick beat me to it! ;)

tischbein3
01-28-2011, 11:40 PM
thats close to what Im looking for, thank you.

The reason to ask for this, was that I was thinking about writing such a script and release it for free, IF there is not already a free script/plugin that does it. And of course, If anybody would be interested in this...

I think there was... I encountered one long time ago, but I can't find it again...

The fastest manual way I could imagine to do this, would be to switch to "Edit by Scene" in the texture editor, setup one clay texture, copy it and select all other to paste it.

On the other hand such a script could be also a nice base for other, more complex mass modifications when needed.

chris

Dodgy
01-29-2011, 12:11 AM
The absolute easiest and most flexible way to do this is with Denis pontonnier's Node Pixel filter.
Add it to your scene, and add a lambert shader node and connect it to the colour input of the filter output node.
Double click the output node, and turn on Raytrace/Global 3d shade.

Render. This will replace all the surfaces with just a grey lambert surfaces.
If you want it as say a separate pass, you don't have to pipe it into the pixel filter, you can just pipe it into the DP Store Extra Buffer, then add the Nodel Image Filter and use the Get Extra buffer node which has the ability to save a particular buffer to disk. That way you can always have it saving when you render the scene.
I used this method to get an Amb occlusion pass before LW got its own amb occ buffer.

Sensei
01-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Does anyone knows an existing script or plugin for this?

Download TrueArt's SpreadSurface plugin from www.trueart.pl
Then open Surface Editor, make some surface empty (no textures or any other settings). Then spread it to whole scene.
The same you can get Ambient Occlusion pass.

Sensei
01-29-2011, 12:21 AM
The absolute easiest way to do this is with Denis pontonnier's Node Pixel filter.

Easiest for human, but not the fastest for computer.. AFAIK pixel filter process is applied on image after everything regular was rendered. If you have complex scene with complex nodal setup, it'll be unnecessary rendered taking time, and then replaced by some simple setup, covering completely regular render..

Sensei
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM

That's why I wrote SaveSceneAndAllObjectsIncrement and SpreadSurface plugins.. ;)

Dexter2999
01-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Don't know about the plug in's, but seems like you would do it like the first responder said, but with an LScript?
I believe Larry talked about the process before with swapping out Low Poly stand in's with the High Poly assets. Seems like you could do the same with "clay" textured assets, or Polycolor assets.
The idea is another asset with a modified naming convention like Asset_01, becomes Asset_01_clay. Then you can LScript or use a text editor on the scene file to find/replace all.

If this sounds like too much work because you have too many models. You could make it one stop possibly, using the find/replace not on the Asset_01 part but replace all ".lwo" with "_clay.lwo"?

Just putting it out there.

Svenart
01-29-2011, 03:20 AM
thank you all for your answers.