PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave won't render displaced mesh

threedee6
01-28-2011, 06:18 AM
I have tried importing a zBrush displacement map into Lightwave, using the node editor, but for some reason, the mesh won't subdivide during render (attached is just a sample). It dispalys alright and it renders perfectly well in FPrime, but the Lightwave renderer ignores the displacement completely. Any ideas why it won't?
http://www.multidimensionalman.com/Multidimensional-Man/Blank_files/lightwave_test.jpg

3DGFXStudios
01-28-2011, 06:24 AM
Did you set the render subpatch level high enough? Fprime uses the display value.

threedee6
01-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Did you set the render subpatch level high enough? Fprime uses the display value.

Thanks for the quick reply. I set the Display SubPatch level to 30. I set it to 50 now and it's much finer, but why does the Lightwave renderer not pick up the subpatches?

evenflcw
01-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Again. As stated. Note the difference.

Display Subpatch Level <> Render Subpatch Level

One is for openGL/preview render, the other is for full render. Make sure you set the right one.
PS. If you set them to the same value you will get less preprocessing during full render.
PS2. Other reasons for LW not doing the subdivision for render is because it is out of memory. But it should display an error message if such is the case.