PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a straight line in modeler?

webnel
09-29-2003, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to draw a straight lines w/cures in modeler. Really I'm making small piping that runs along a floor then along a wall and then a ceiling. It'll have small 90 degree bends for the X,Y,Z directions. Then the line will be used for a rail extrude when complete. My problems is making a straight line with small arcs (90 deg bends) in it. Is Spline plus the Ctrl key the only way? This must be possible - please help.

Thanks.

John Fornasar
09-29-2003, 10:05 PM
You might find it easier to model an elbow, straight pipe, and any other fittings that you might need (tees, valves, etc) and build your pipe layout. You can then reuse your parts for future projects. It's really fast once you get the hang of it. Here's a quick render using "parts"..

GruvSyco
09-29-2003, 11:40 PM
If you really want to create a straight line, you can use the pen tool. Create your first point, then hold Ctrl and drag out a second point.

hrgiger
09-30-2003, 01:15 AM
To get your lines straight before and after the curve, you just have to add more points into the curve to control the angle at which the line moves in and out of the point.

webnel
09-30-2003, 11:29 AM
Great, these methods will get me going. I also found that cloning points in one direction and then converting to line will work too.