PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics, backwards?

jeric_synergy
01-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm working on a logo, and this particular logo has repeating elements that I would like to have flutter in and land in very specific locations.

I was thinking that I could use Dynamics to 'blow them off' the logo, and then somehow reverse the MDD file and have them fly in and land as appropriate.

Is it possible to make an MDD file run in reverse?

In the attached JPEG, the bits I'm talking about are the rectangles, triangles, and maybe the collar 'fringe'.

nickdigital
01-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I think you change the playback speed to -100% and then shift the animation in the negative direction the length of your simulation.

So if you had a simulation that was 60 frames you're playback speed would be -100% and the shift frames would be -60.

jeric_synergy
01-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Actually, the weird part is I didn't have to shift the playback: it worked fine when ONLY the Playback Speed was set to -100%!

So, that's good I guess. Simple, at any rate.

When you say "Shift" is this a the whole LWS--like in the Scene Editor-- or a PFX setting.... I'm not seeing it.

nickdigital
01-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Oh ok. When I set it to -100% the animation played back into the negative frame range. That's why I was shifting it to put the playback into the positive frame range. But if it works for you then more power to you. I was testing the process out before I called it a day at work so it's possible I was doing something wrong.

The shifting of the frames is in the Dynamics tab. I did a HardFX simulation. It was a field under the playback rate setting. Can't remember what the PFX tab looks like offhand (I'm not at a computer with LW).

jeric_synergy
01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Yeah, there's a significant BUT NOT 100% overlap between the UI systems for MDD versus PFX. What I was messing with was PFX. afaict, MDD has "Shift", PFX does not. (!!???!!!)

Some of the particle/dynamix dox are worse than useless: after you read them you are more confused than when you started.

Skonk
02-01-2011, 04:56 AM
Do you really need to reverse it like this?

Just animate the whole thing backwards and just render it out in reverse.

Lightwave has both a forward and reverse play button in the UI so when your working you can at least play it back... backwards.. to check it works.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Do you really need to reverse it like this?

Just animate the whole thing backwards and just render it out in reverse.

Then the motion blur doesn't work.