PDA

View Full Version : LWSN can't find gi cache.

McLeft
01-27-2011, 10:32 AM
LWSN can't find radiosity cache files if relative path is used.

LW9.6 generates relative path if gi cache is stored in "radiosity" folder.
The solution is: store gi cache wherever but "radiosity" folder. Ridiculous but it does work:)

LW10 is a different story. It generates relative path for any location under project folder. The only solution is: store cache OUTSIDE of a project folder, it is not even ridiculous, it is just plain inconvenient.

Is it normal behavior for LWSN? Maybe there is workaround to make LWSN find gi cache files with relative path?

P.S. Im using BNR as LWSN controller.

UPDATE: With LW10 i wasn't able render scenes with GI cache. Putting cache outside of project folder didn't help. LWSN doesn't find file anyway...

Hieron
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
wtf.. is that the issue I am having?! And no one else noticed..?
Did you find a solution McLeft? Explains why I just spent hours on hours trying to fix it and not succeed. Can't imagine this managed to get passed quality control. ( :) )

update:
*Workaround fix*

LW10 saves my GI caches as for example:
Z: projectfolder/something/Caches/GI/radiosity_Shot1.cache
which layout has no issue with at all. However if you type this in Explorer, it would give an error. Explorer has no idea what you want.

If you change it to:
Z:/projectfolder/something/Caches/GI/radiosity_Shot1.cache
Explorer will ask you how to open this curious file. Yay.

So I went to the .lws scene file, added the "/" and saved. Checked in Layout: Layout is fine with this as well and into BNR: BNR is happy too and the cache is found.

Annoying workaround though. Can someone bug report this? :P

JonW
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
I had the same issue with 9.6. I haven't actually checked this in 10 yet.

I put the cache file in the LightWave (Screamernet) folder because it didn't work in the radiosity folder [email protected]#$%^???
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98254

Hieron
02-23-2011, 05:38 PM
I think it is seperate from the issue with 10. At least in 9.6 I never had an issue with it, then again, I never had the cache file in the radiosity folder in the first place. I guess 2 seperate bugs... both annoying ofc.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that we need per object cache file options and animated/static setting.

:)

Brazilian
07-09-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm having a different problem in LW10 x64, where I set the cache file, bake the scene, and save the scene.. reload the scene, and LW shows the cache file in the GI panel but doesn't use it.. the 'Clear radiosity cache' button for instance is disabled. If I hit Cache File and reselect the file, it wakes up and works.

LWSN is another matter. It shows that it's reading from the file, but then sits there 'Computing preliminary radiosity solution..." and re-does it for every frame giving me dancing lighting in the resulting frames. #@!?

Brazilian
07-09-2011, 12:33 PM
OK actually I'm figuring out what is going on with LWSN - this in regards to LW10:

1. LWSN is paying attention to the ContentDirectory listed in LW10-64.cfg to generate paths to find the radiosity cache, in spite of using the -d flag to run lwsn.exe

2. I deleted the DirectoryType entry for Radiosity and set UseContentDirAutodetect to 0 in LW10-64.cfg but LWSN still ignores the relative path for the cache file in the scene, and builds the path as the ContentDirectory + Radiosity + .cache file.

ARGH! LW9.6 always saved non-relative paths (for me) which I would change to relative for Screamernet render (as I copy everything to a separate server which all the nodes feed off of, and I use UNC and not drive letters) but at the end of the day it read the right file. LW10 on the other hand is making stuff up on its own.