PDA

View Full Version : Slow Butterfly Net Render

tommymamn
01-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I am using Butterfly Net Render Standard v 4.55. When I render a frame of my animation in LW it only takes 2-3 minutes, but when I use BNR it takes 15-20+ minutes a frame - most of them never finish. What is going on?

I am using 3 computers and activating all cores (10):

Computer1: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 5GB RAM (Vista Home Premium)

Computer2: Intel Core i5 CPU M520 @ 2.4 GHz 3GB RAM (XP Pro)

Computer3: Interl Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz 3GB RAM (XP Home)

I really feel that I wasted $180 on BNR. How can I speed this up?

jameswillmott
01-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Are you using radiosity, have made a cache file, but the render nodes are somehow unable to see the cache, so they are each rebuilding it locally thus taking far longer to render than usual?

BigHache
01-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Along the same lines, is that with multiple scenes, or just this particular scene you're rendering?

tommymamn
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I am using Final Gather and I don't think you can cache that - am I right? It also does the same with any scene I render.

BigHache
01-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Final Gather is a radiosity solution, so yes you can cache that.

geo_n
01-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Contact Paul Lord. He gives great tech support.
Or you can pm me the file I will test it since I'm using bnr with 9.6 and not 10 yet. Which version of lw are you using?

djlithium
01-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I am using Butterfly Net Render Standard v 4.55. When I render a frame of my animation in LW it only takes 2-3 minutes, but when I use BNR it takes 15-20+ minutes a frame - most of them never finish. What is going on?

I am using 3 computers and activating all cores (10):

Computer1: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz 5GB RAM (Vista Home Premium)

Computer2: Intel Core i5 CPU M520 @ 2.4 GHz 3GB RAM (XP Pro)

Computer3: Interl Core2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 GHz 3GB RAM (XP Home)

I really feel that I wasted $180 on BNR. How can I speed this up?

As a lot of people here know I am not a big fan of BNR, but it sounds like you need some help.
Are you able to set up a native screamernet job and fire the scene through that way to see if its BNR just being slow because of all of its copy this, config rewrite that, or if its just that the cache is being calculated on each node first and then it renders.
Is the speed you are getting locally on a machine after you have done a cache for the current frame or is it a fresh render without cache being pre-calculated?
If its the latter, your problem is more than likely BNR related for the reasons I state above.

JonW
01-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Sounds like Radiosity Cache file not being found.

Read this, it may help
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98254

I found the cache file needed to be in this location.

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Okay,

I used to use Fprime 3 with BNR for all of my animations - I have done several and BNR always worked with zero problems. It stopped working last week for some unknown reason to me - it kept hanging on SetContent even though I had changed nothing in the configuation. So, I set up BNR to render using LW 9.6 instead and ran into the time problems as mentioned above. I spoke with Paul Lord about it and he remoted into my system with no luck on speeding up the render times.

I have since tried to go back to Fprime and I still have the hanging on SetContent problem. I set BRN to show me each node window and each node hangs in the same place - it says it can't find my content directory which as you can see in the attached image is set correctly.

I have a deadline looming over my head and this is killing me! I am getting nothing done on this project and I have to start making progress.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Tom

djlithium
01-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Just a suggestion, but try content managing the scene to a new location and set BNR to fetch from that location for a new job and try again.

However by looking at the error message and comparing to the location of the share you have there is a mismatch I think. It's looking for hg3:NetRender/content/etc etc.

Really this should just be r:/content/etc etc.
This tells me that the scene file is looking for the full path of the content directory but LWSN cant find it because of bad syntax in the path (hg3:netrender doesn't mean anything to LWSN).

You need to load up the scene and make sure the path to the goodies is R:/content/ and only that.

Then it should work.

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Just a suggestion, but try content managing the scene to a new location and set BNR to fetch from that location for a new job and try again.

However by looking at the error message and comparing to the location of the share you have there is a mismatch I think. It's looking for hg3:NetRender/content/etc etc.

Really this should just be r:/content/etc etc.
This tells me that the scene file is looking for the full path of the content directory but LWSN cant find it because of bad syntax in the path (hg3:netrender doesn't mean anything to LWSN).

You need to load up the scene and make sure the path to the goodies is R:/content/ and only that.

Then it should work.

Yes, I noticed the hg3:netrender also. I use a mapped drive r:\content... on all my machines not paths. Why would it show it as hg3:netrender...

I will try moving the content directory. I don't know why it has changed from before.

Tom

djlithium
01-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Probably because the drive has been "Named". If you change the drives name this should fix it and it can then just become "R".

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Alright - I changed my content directory to z: (it is named z:) and reconfigured BNR. I ran BNR and as you can see in the attached image - it is still looking for HG3! I have looked in the config files, but find no reference to HG3?

djlithium
01-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Alright - I changed my content directory to z: (it is named z:) and reconfigured BNR. I ran BNR and as you can see in the attached image - it is still looking for HG3! I have looked in the config files, but find no reference to HG3?

That's because the drive is physically named Hg3 on "NetRender"
You need to remove the name of the drive completely so that its just z and not Z on netrender or anything else.

djlithium
01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
BTW, you have to do this on the netrender machine itself and select the drive, right click, properties, share, and from there its pretty self-explanatory.

djlithium
01-29-2011, 02:48 PM
If you're really really stuck, skype me at "djlithium" (no quotes) and I will lend you a hand.

Kat

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Here are 2 shots - one of my drives and the other of the latest output from bnr.

the z drive is a shared folder named netrender.

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 02:59 PM
If you're really really stuck, skype me at "djlithium" (no quotes) and I will lend you a hand.

Kat

I have never used skype - I don't have a web cam. Thank you very much, by the way, for your help.

djlithium
01-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah thats where things get a little wonky.
It really should be a real drive letter location and not a shared directory pretending to be a drive unless you choose to use UNC paths.

djlithium
01-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I have never used skype - I don't have a web cam. Thank you very much, by the way, for your help.

No webcam required, the idea there was to be able to show each others desk tops and speed talk it through the problem, which is faster than forums :)

It's my pleasure to help.

It seems that on the local system you now have the drive showing up okay. What I would suggest is opening the scene file going through that path now and then save it. Same thing for BNR when you set the location of the content.
Ahhh... that makes me think.... Are you running the BNR app with with the scene submission on that machine that is sharing the folder/drive or from one of the nodes that sees z:\content ?

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Ahhh... that makes me think.... Are you running the BNR app with with the scene submission on that machine that is sharing the folder/drive or from one of the nodes that sees z:\content ?

No - it is all on one machine right now. BNR, LW, FPrime, Z: - all on one machine.

I am installing skype right now...

tommymamn
01-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Kat - You are the man! Thank you so much for your help and all of your time! See you at Liberty3D.com!

Tom