PDA

View Full Version : Node editor still buggy

Thomas M.
01-26-2011, 07:47 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-85092.html

That's two years old. Nothing has changed. I still can't save my node trees and therefore can't properly surface my objects. How many years do I have to wait till this is fixed? Even while working in 9.2 I filed this error. Nobody took any interest.

Large node trees aren't possible. Because a memory leak? Please fix this a.s.a.p.

And please: Give us compounds like in SI. It's a pain to work with large trees currently.

Thanks in advance and please reply and confirm that there'll be something done soon.

Cheers
Thomas

philippe
01-26-2011, 07:54 AM
Yep, the iff chunk limit is still there :-(
Only workaround afaik is to use store/get material from the Poms Nodes.
Node editor needs a MASSIVE overhaul...

Thomas M.
01-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Back in 9.2 I've felt like crying and killing some programer when I discovered that all the node connections have disappeared after reloading a 150+ nodes tree into layout. I don't know what's so hard to repair this bug and give us compounds. LW's node system is brilliant in terms what you can do with it for procedural texturing and modeling, but this bug is horrible. AFAIK the bug doesn't exist in the displacement node editor.

There's also the bug that LW crashes if you change too many nodes. Seems to be a memory leak. Purge does help and prevents crashes in most cases. But I said this already years ago. Please NT: Confirm this.

RebelHill
01-26-2011, 08:09 AM
fogbugz it again, never know your luck.

philippe
01-26-2011, 08:16 AM
"Purge" button is your best friend when working with node editor :D
Yeah, compounds, grouping&nesting, surface and shader referencing, etc...
Maybe for Core...:devil:

Thomas M.
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Did you find a way to save the trees with the Pom Nodes? As far as I unsderstood, it just exchanges stuff between different trees. Can I save them to the disk and edit them afterwards so it is a true workaround to this bug?

philippe
01-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Unfortunately no...:-(
It's just a dirty hack to bypass the limitation when shading by using a "dummy" surface as a "shader repositary" . Maybe with Sensei TrueGroup, i dunno cause last time i tried to purchase it, it was impossible to get a 64bits version because of his supposely fried laptop...Might be worth to ask him.
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueGroup

Cheers,

Thomas M.
01-26-2011, 09:57 AM
So the hack is to have some invisible surfaces available. One for spec, one for bump, etc and then bring them together via the pom Node? Compounds for the gifted?

Might be a great idea to finish my project without too many choleric fits.

Sensei
01-26-2011, 10:01 AM
It's with 64 bit and MacUB versions now.

philippe
01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Yep, but as i side node, from time to time store/get node seem to loose his surface reference, so this hack is far from being perfect, but it`s better than nothing...
Hope this helps

Cheers

philippe
01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
It's with 64 bit and MacUB versions now.

Good to know :)

Thomas M.
01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks Phillipe, you saved me so far. If it will render on the farm I'm fine.

So, who's going to respond from NT to this thread? Reporting errors is something I stopped doing as it seems to be a lottery and on many occasions there won't be any feedback or error solving. So, Mr Powers probably?

philippe
01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
You`re welcome mate

Thomas M.
02-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Well, tears in my eyes again. It won't render. Parts of the stored values don't get transmitted, so the object doesn't look like it's supposed to look. Also the get stored values names exchange themselves, so nothing works in the end.

The solution by itself would have been great, but I have no clue whats going on.

I wished NT would show some interest and respect by taking care of their buggy programming.

Cheers
Pancho

Sensei
02-02-2011, 02:15 AM
You just have to get TrueGroup, specify file name where data are stored on shared network disk, edit nodes in group, and save such object.. ;)
While using Storage option, TrueGroup is saving nodes as ASCII, so absolute no IFF chunk limitation..

Sensei
02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't know what's so hard to repair this bug and give us compounds. LW's node system is brilliant in terms what you can do with it for procedural texturing and modeling, but this bug is horrible.

It's impossible to fix this bug, because it's not bug but limitation of file format, designed 20+ years ago. IFF sub-chunks have 16 bit identifier and 16 bit size, which as integer with sign is capable to store up to 32767 bytes.
They would have to rewrite how LW stores surfaces on disk. And objects saved by new version wouldn't be loadable on <= LW v10.0.. At least not with nodes present.

AFAIK the bug doesn't exist in the displacement node editor.

Displacement nodes are stored in LWS, as ASCII. Therefore they don't have any size fields, because where section begins and where ends is defined by brackets { }.

The same way as TrueGroup Storage File is working.

Thomas M.
02-02-2011, 02:52 AM
So,

does your plugin works with network rendering and can it handle sub-groups?

For instance, I do have a mask and colour "compound/group" which is needed in the diffuse, specular and reflection group. Will your plugin be able to handle this?

With the pom node it is pretty much like SI compounds. Can I maintain this workflow with your plug in or would I just throw everything into one group like in pure LW with the difference that your plugin "will save" while LW doesn't?!

Thanks for the explanation. But using 20 year old technology can't be an excuse from a company which just told us about the rebirth of their software. I don't mind how they fix this, I just demand that they fix it.

Thanks so far.

Thomas M.
02-02-2011, 03:01 AM
BTW, does it work with LW 64bit?

Thomas M.
02-02-2011, 03:03 AM
If it does and works on the renderfarm I'd like to know how quickly you can supply me with two licenses?

Sensei
02-02-2011, 03:04 AM
Yes it works on render farm of course..
As long as you will pick network drive as Storage File, before saving object to disk.

Thomas M.
02-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Hi, Sensei. Just ordered and send the registration infos to you several times. But as I get constant errors from the postmaster that my mails can't be delivered to you, could you please send me another email address I can use for contacting you? Your mails got through so far as I can tell.

Cheers
Pancho

Sensei
02-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Hi, Sensei. Just ordered and send the registration infos to you several times. But as I get constant errors from the postmaster that my mails can't be delivered to you, could you please send me another email address I can use for contacting you? Your mails got through so far as I can tell.

I have total 7 mails from you now.. ;)

Plugins were sent. I hope so ZIP attachments will get through any antispam filters..

And remember to pick up Storage file FIRST.. It's not like in general loading/saving - node is storing in LWO file name to file where are real nodes.. Saving object -> saving storage file. Loading object -> loading storage file. When storage file is flushed, nodes in group are starting taking space again in LWO.