PDA

View Full Version : GTX 580 vs Maya 2011.........

cgisoul
01-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Is there anyone having problems using GTX 580 with Maya?

Cheers.

3DGFXStudios
01-26-2011, 05:01 AM
I'm having no problems using GTX 580 with Maya. I don't have a GTX580 ;)

Phil
01-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Did NT get acquired by Autodesk, or is the OP in the wrong forum? :D

cgisoul
01-26-2011, 05:29 AM
3DGFX: funny boy :p ;)

Phil,
isn't general topic for general chat about whatever is cg?
Duh!

LW_Will
01-26-2011, 05:31 AM
See... we are nicer than those guys in the AD forums. He will get the same amount of advice here as he will there... but we are funnier. ;-)

Try the nVidia forums, CG. Maybe there are more open there... ;-)

3DGFXStudios
01-26-2011, 05:49 AM
;) What kind of problem do you have? I'm having some trouble with the nvidia drivers lately. They keep " disconnecting" from time to time, which result in all openGL app crashing.

cgisoul
01-26-2011, 05:52 AM
LW and 3DGFX:

Tried that too. Trying to broader my chances for an answer. Thinking to get one of those gtx 580. But it looks like the high render and viewport 2.0 doesn't display the textures in Maya viewport.
The GtX 580 has enough power and the price is right. Quadro is expensive.
My budget is approximately $500

Phil
01-26-2011, 05:52 AM
3DGFX: funny boy :p ;)

Phil,
isn't general topic for general chat about whatever is cg?
Duh!

Depends on the forum police. See how long a thread about Kurv lasts, for example.

I think it's a little....cheeky....to ask a Maya-specific question in the NT board, though. It's not general CG, to be fair, and there are more appropriate venues for such a specific question, such as CGTalk.

cgisoul
01-26-2011, 05:56 AM
phil, i'll take that in consideration.......... The nex time. Meh...

3DGFXStudios
01-26-2011, 06:32 AM
I would buy one!

Red_Oddity
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I'd wait, the 560Ti has been announced, half the price, but still great performance (in games that is)

I noticed in Maya the 460 for example didn't perform much better than a 3 year old 8800GTX

3DGFXStudios
01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I changed my mind. I'd wait ;)

COBRASoft
01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
3DFX: I have the 'disconnection' problem lately with my NVidia 260 :(.

3DGFXStudios
01-26-2011, 09:16 AM
3DFX: I have the 'disconnection' problem lately with my NVidia 260 :(.

Good to know I'm not the only one. Only 3DCoat seems to recover itself after the connection gets lost. Probably because it uses DirectX. I've a geforce 285gtx (the mac one Running on windows) Maybe it's a Geforce 200 series bug? I haven't found a solution yet :(

COBRASoft
01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
I thought it was the fault of LW10 :). Apparently not, good to know.

OnlineRender
01-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Depends on the forum police. See how long a thread about Kurv lasts, for example.

AD aint that evil :D play'in .........sort of .

+1 it is a general forum , and "WE" get away with alot on here ,compared to most forums , esp an official product site , but goto AD forums and reverse the questions ,see how long it last .

GL with the Card issue .

Matt
01-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Speaking of possible nVidia issues, does anyone else have Skype crash when screen sharing?

It crashes for me everytime after a certain amount of time screen sharing.

OnlineRender
01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Speaking of possible nVidia issues, does anyone else have Skype crash when screen sharing?

just Skype in general , you using Skypes inline capture software or third-party ? , also if you sharing LW or pushing the capture you will probably just kill it ,could be driver issue though

djlithium
01-26-2011, 07:01 PM

Yes. This has been a major problem with the Skype Betas. Even when it released I was still having issues until I completely reinstalled my drivers from disc and then upgraded to 260.99 or whatever the latest edition is.

cgisoul
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Thank you all for your valuable inputs and glad to know that Nvidia Gtx cards are not that mighty after all when it comes to 3D app. After all, they were made for games......

I'm using a GTX 285 on the rig in my signature. I've never had a single issue with the drivers I'm currently using (258.96).

I did some research and apparently, everyone says that GTX 285 is the most stable version for Maya.
Rumors, is that ATI and Nvidia are trying to saboatage their drivers for 3D apps, so they can push their high end cards sales. I wouldn't be surprised if that was true.

I changed my mind. I'd wait ;)

Make up your mind damn it! :D

archijam
01-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Had to revert my win7 ult 64bit system to the windows update nvidia drivers.

The latest (yesterday's) drivers form nvidia froze my system within 30 mins ..

Phil
01-27-2011, 02:44 AM
i think its perfectly reasonable to ask for maya help here. quite a few people use lightwave and maya togther

If it was an interoperability question, your observation would be appropriate. At the risk of turning into one of the forum police, which I very often disagree with, this wasn't that kind of question and there are more appropriate forums for such specific questions. *shrug*

The moderation policy is inconsistently applied, though.

3DGFXStudios
01-27-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm using a GTX 285 on the rig in my signature. I've never had a single issue with the drivers I'm currently using (258.96).

I used to update drivers all the time, but these days I stick with what works unless I need to update for some specific need where only a driver update will move things forward.

I see you are running Vista? It that correct? I'm going to try the 258.96 drivers on win7. Thanks for mentioning the 258 drivers work. :thumbsup:

cgisoul
01-27-2011, 03:49 AM
If it was an interoperability question, your observation would be appropriate. At the risk of turning into one of the forum police, which I very often disagree with, this wasn't that kind of question and there are more appropriate forums for such specific questions. *shrug*

The moderation policy is inconsistently applied, though.

Phil, I understand and appreciate you being straight with all the policy and rules. Maybe NT should hire you as a moderator (For God sake don't let that happen) so everybody will stick to the rules. I'm not interested to turn this thread into one of those idiotic fights with no ending. Pointless. However, I welcome your opinion if you do have one regarding to my question about gfx card(s) and Maya and join others. If you don't have any opinion besides the ones already made and prefer to play the police game, there are other channels, forums that will satisfy your needs. I simply welcome you to shut the f.....k up cause since your first post you haven't say a word about anything besides rules and policies. Let other enjoy this thread.

Cheers m8 and God bless the world.

Back to my main topic, .................
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was digging around and found this one ATI Firepro v7800. Though I swear that I wouldn't ever buy an ATI card again, but that seems to be a good one...

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-195-098&ReviewNo=2154654&SortField=0&Pagesize=10&IsFeedbackTab=true&rdm=31#scrollHelpful1

Phil
01-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Language to be proud of. Into the ignore bucket with you, no loss.

cgisoul
01-27-2011, 06:04 AM
Anyone with experience using ATI FirePro v7800 with Maya? Feel free to shoot an opinion. Cheers.

CF01
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=191597

This thread at Blenderartists might be of interest regarding Fermi issues.