PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing

Richard Hebert
01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I've seen posts about optimizing meshes. Is there an 'optimize' button in Lightwave or is this in reference to manually deleting points or polys on a mesh? Sounds a little silly, but I am interested in learning more about mesh optimization. I've seen meshes that looked really clean and the artist mentioned that they have not had the chance to optimize the mesh... A little light shed on this would be great.

Richard

Sensei
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
I've seen posts about optimizing meshes. Is there an 'optimize' button in Lightwave or is this in reference to manually deleting points or polys on a mesh? Sounds a little silly, but I am interested in learning more about mesh optimization. I've seen meshes that looked really clean and the artist mentioned that they have not had the chance to optimize the mesh... A little light shed on this would be great.

These artists meant manual editing.

LW has polygon reducing tools in Construct > Reduce. QEMLoss2 is named Reduce Polys+.

JeffrySG
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
I think typically it refers to going in and manually removing geometry of your mesh that doesn't really add any additional detail. In subd modeling it probably consists of removing unneeded edge loops and/or doing any polygon reduction where possible. On poly models it can be the same and more as you don't have the same constraints.

It's a fine art to get a good balance but many times there are areas that just stand out to be reduced and optimized. Also, you could have different versions based on how you will be using those models ie: close up or in the background / distance, moving/non-moving, etc

edit: snipped by Sensei :)

Richard Hebert
01-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Got it. Thanks guys.

Richard