PDA

View Full Version : lobby space

otacon
01-24-2011, 11:54 AM
An interior I did for fun. It's been a while since I've got to do any personal work. All lw. Comments welcome.
http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/photos/lob1.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/photos/details1.jpg

http://www.jasonallenlee.com/images/photos/details2.jpg

WilliamVaughan
01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Should be in the LW Gallery. Amazing!

01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Awesome work! I know some interior designers that would be jealous. :thumbsup:

colkai
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh look, a stunning interior by Otacon, who knew? :p
In other words, depressing beautiful as always! :D

brunopeixoto
01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
really AMAZING!!!!!!!

otacon
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys. Here's another shot and some wires.

Pavlov
01-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Hey ;) some time i dont see you around.
Excellent as usual, and interesting to see LW's quality at work. Using Kray all the way i always forget how good Lw's engine can be.
Which GI settings did you use? Rendertimes ? Machine ?

Bye
Paolo

ingo
01-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Nice ones, but the Gi quality needs some improvement, lots of blotches. Done in LW10 ?

Mitja
01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Amazing shots, really!

funk
01-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Awesome work!

rezman
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Really great on every level. What makes it special is that you can imagine (read, really want to) yourself sitting there drinking coffee and chatting with friends.

Love it!

otacon
01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks.

Pavlov, it has been a while. I decided to stick with lw since its what I know best, and I think the improvements they made to GI in 9.5 were really good...especially with blurred reflection. You should post some work, I'd like to see kray images here. My GI settings are in the attached image, also showing raw render, after tonemap, and after post work. Machine is Dell T7500 workstation, Intel Xeon E5630 2.53GHz 4 cores, 6gb ram. Render time on the big image was about 20min, only 2000pix wide. Detail shots were about 5 min.

ingo, there are blotches.. I think when I tonemap really dark images it makes them show up even more. Rendering at higher res helps...this was only 2000pix wide. Done in 9.6.

ingo
01-25-2011, 12:08 PM
the first one is the raw rendering, thats pretty dark.

to the settings, i usually have use gradients on and blur backround off. intensity is at 100 %, bounces between 4 and 6, RPE i start with 200 and SBR 20, min pix is 1 and max pix 100. But it depends also on your other light settings, i just try to get as much direct light in as possible to avoid those blotches.

otacon
01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
The image on very left is the .hdr render from lightwave, the middle one is after tonemapping in photomatix, the right one is after post work in ps. Thats what I meant about tonemapping very dark .hdri's...it tends to bring out the blotches and noise.

MDSPECIFIC
01-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Cool! :thumbsup:

ingo
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
well i gave up on Photomatix, especially with LW10 its a bit easier to get good results for interiors without much postwork. But tonemapping inside LW would be a nice option though.

Svenart
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
great work otacon, stunning real as always!

Why have you choosed this painting on the wall? Are you a fan of informal abstract art?

You really should consider making a tutorial about interior rendering. This could help a lot of us to fill some gaps, and increase the realism level of Lw renders in community dramatically :D

simno
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Very, very nice Otacon.
I agree with Svenart it would be great to see a tutorial on the process you used.
I would love to learn more in this area and you seem to have it.
Great work!

COBRASoft
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Very nice!

I agree on the tutorial part :).

Also, LW10 would love this scene with its linear workflow. I would really like to see the result from it.

otacon
01-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks. I picked the art because I thought the colors worked well with the scene. I would't say I'm a huge fan of abstract art, but I liked this one.

I hear a lot about tutorials. I guess im not sure exactly what people want to see..like a step by step guide? I try to give out a lot of info in my threads on my light setup, post process, etc..If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

I've always believed you can only learn so much from settings and technical details. The best advice I've heard concerning 3d is "observation is key".

valu
01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Very Impressive. You know i love your style, hu ;)
amazing picture !

Mitja
01-26-2011, 01:17 AM
I hear a lot about tutorials. I guess im not sure exactly what people want to see..like a step by step guide? I try to give out a lot of info in my threads on my light setup, post process, etc..If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

If you say we can ask... :hey:
Why's your raw render so dark? And how do you tonemap?
Any particular reason for adding the bg image in post?
Thanks!

ingo
01-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Well, i guess the render is so dark because he added not enough light.:hey:
You can do tonemapping in LWs image editor or like in his case use Photomatix ( http://www.hdrsoft.com/index.html ). Simply changing the white and the blackpoint gives you some good impression. The rest is like everything in 3D try and error. :stumped:

otacon
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
ingo is right. The render is dark because there's not a lot of light. The great thing about 3d renders is they contain a lot of information in their raw format...hdr or exr. Even more dynamic range than a photograph. So when you use radiosity that bounced light is in the render even if you dont see it...you need to tonemap it to see the light. It's much easier to adjust brightness on a rendering using a couple of sliders in real time rather than adjusting light intensities in LW and doing a bunch of test renders to get it exactly right.

The bg was added in post because I didn't know what image I wanted to use when I was making the scene. Doing it in post let me drop different images back there to quickly see which one I liked best.

Mitja
01-27-2011, 01:48 AM
It's much easier to adjust brightness on a rendering using a couple of sliders in real time rather than adjusting light intensities in LW and doing a bunch of test renders to get it exactly right.

Now that's a good answer! Everybody knows darkness is just absence of light! :D

The bg was added in post because I didn't know what image I wanted to use when I was making the scene. Doing it in post let me drop different images back there to quickly see which one I liked best.

I see... But doing so you lose "reflections". In this case is barely noticeable, except for windows where there are no reflections at all, but maybe it is so on purpose. Ayways it's a really good job!

archijam
01-27-2011, 02:26 AM
Nice Ota!

I would like to be as productive with my spare time .... :/

inakito
01-27-2011, 05:49 AM
As usual fantastic stuff otacon ;)

Daphne
03-03-2011, 10:35 AM

A step by step guide would be wonderful. For those of us struggling with lighting, just seeing your settings and how you set it up would be terrific.

I had never looked at your website before but your work is beautiful. The interiors are gorgeous.

titin
03-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I really like your pictures. The light is amazing