PDA

View Full Version : engine fire exhaust

3dartist1951
01-24-2011, 06:46 AM
hi, im new to this game working with lw9.6 and Im trying to acheive a firey glow exhaust using hypovoxls but with no luck, Im having trouble acheiving a tapered shape. Am I missing something?:bangwall:

Phil
01-24-2011, 06:56 AM
I've usually opted for geometry with a moving procedural in the surface channels (colour/luminosity/transparency). Combined with a gradient and a displacement procedural, it works well and renders quickly.

Do you have a reference image of the look you are trying to achieve?

nickdigital
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
You could also try using a volumetric light though I don't think you'll be able to taper it.

3dartist1951
01-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your input, I shall endeaver to try and work out the geom option, I dont have an image to hand, but in my mind it is a general fire out the back of a jet engine yellow and blue shades etc.

shrox
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Kat kindly uploaded some BSG Viper exhausts that used a procedual texture (dots I think), see if you can find them.

djlithium
01-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Meow, drop me a line and I can walk you through it or sort you out with an assembly that does this with volumetric lights.
It should give you the starting point you are looking for for anything from a viper or an F-14 exhaust type of effect.

Skype is best
djlithium is my skype contact.

Or hit me up through a PM on our forums over at www.liberty3d.com

Ryste3d
01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
As already mention the volumetric lights would absolutely looks the best and more realistic.

If you must use particles and for setting up the tapered shape look at this 1 minute scene file setup. The Hyperwoxel setting is crap but gives your an idea