PDA

View Full Version : How do I get smoother renders

ivorybull
01-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Hi

When using radiosity (Final Gather) the render is patchy, the shadows are blotchy if that makes sense. Is this the lighting, the radiosity settings or something else? Image attached to show what I mean.

Thanks

Iain

archijam
01-24-2011, 04:01 AM
http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide96/index.htm

prometheus
01-24-2011, 04:26 AM
You must set a pretty high AA-setting I should suspect.
Check use gradients on the render global panel in the global illumination tab.

Michael

Mitja
01-24-2011, 04:37 AM
Both lighting and radiositu setting. Renders tend to be blotchy with lumy panels, so if you are using them it may be a cause. Also, in the radiosity settings panel, check if you have enough rays. I guess the best if post you settings.

JeffrySG
01-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi

When using radiosity (Final Gather) the render is patchy, the shadows are blotchy if that makes sense. Is this the lighting, the radiosity settings or something else? Image attached to show what I mean.

Thanks

Iain

Can you post your camera and raydiosity settings?

ivorybull
01-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Setting attached, hope this helps.
I made some changes after reading the link posted by archijam but there is still unevenness.

Hopper
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I see in your Render Globals tab, you also have Multithreading set to 1 thread. You may want to bump that up a bit. :)

donlimpio
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
If you can spare a little money, just get Kray. You'll get a lot cleaner results a lot faster. I know there is a tendency to say "You can do that perfectly well with just plain LW if you just know what you're doing", but in my opinion (and years of using it) Kray is a much better option for interior/radiosity render work.

ivorybull
01-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I downloaded a trial version of Kray a while back and gave it a go but didn't get anything good out of it. I'm sure that was me and not the software. Maybe I'll give it another go. Two other guys here use Maxwell with Max and Form-Z. I believe that works with Lightwave too.

Hopper, I sometimes set the multithreading to 1 when I'm working on other stuff at the same time.

Sensei
01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Try: AA 9 passes, Minimum Spacing 1 px, Maximum Spacing 10px, Multi-threading Automatic (unless 1 is because you have single-core machine, or there are MT related crashes).

And make geometry from these girls... They're clip maps, I guess, and don't cast proper shadows, or I am blind..

MDSPECIFIC
01-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Use this.

Render Globals > Global Illumination

Indirect Bounces: 4
Rays Per Evaluation: 384
Secondary Bounce Rays: 64
Angular Tolerance: 35
Minimum Pixel Spacing: 5
Maximum Pixel Spacing: 100
Multiplier: 100%

Camera Properties

Antialiasing: 5
Adaptive sampling: 0.07

Ray Recursion Limit: 11

It will make smooth enough.
Post your result here.
Cheers! :thumbsup:

JonW
01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
The blotchiness on the walls: you need to clear the Radiosity Cache or leave the Cache off. So each time you do a render LW recalculate the radiosity. If the radiosity takes a long time to calculate leave it on, but you will need to clear it each time you do a test render.

To speed up test renders in Render Globals set Multiplier to 50% or even 25%. If you are rendering a still image you can usually get away with less than 100% (50% is usually ok anyway). Fly throughs will usually need 100% .

In your image things like the clothes on the shelves & racks, you can un-tick Use Global in Global Illumination & use much lower RPE & SBR (say 24 & 8, or lower) you can do this in a batch for the clothes by selecting objects in the Scene Editor & then modify your settings in Global illumination. This should drop your render times substantially & the lower setting on these small high poly objects will not be anywhere near as visible as on a plain wall which needs a higher RPE & SBR (but about 64 to 200 & 16 to 32 in general should be enough) I would still have quite a low Min Pixel Spacing, I usually have it on 1, but have it at about 4 for all the un-ticked global illumination objects.

Radiosity does take time to get your head around & it's different for every scene & takes time to optimise.

jrandom
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I downloaded a trial version of Kray a while back and gave it a go but didn't get anything good out of it.

You might want to give it another shot. It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but KRay can definitely deliver far less blotchy renders in the same amount of time. It's so fast that even its non-cached monte carlo setting is usable in a lot of cases. Also, it has the fastest blurry reflections I've ever seen.

Downside: serious, serious aliasing. I still haven't figured out how to get good AA w/out killing my render times.

Sensei
01-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Downside: serious, serious aliasing. I still haven't figured out how to get good AA w/out killing my render times.

Try doubling resolution and then rescale in Photoshop - it's equivalent to using 4 AA passes.
Tripling is equivalent of 9 AA passes.