PDA

View Full Version : bevels and internal buffers

submesh
02-28-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi!
After a while with testing out LightWave 7.5, I have some questions that I hope to get answered:

Is there any easier way to make soft corners to text or imported ESPF files than to manually edit and make polygons via points? The end result here are often of bad quality or disorted.
If you don't quite understand, or want something visual to hold on to, see the image below. This is the bevel-effect I want to archieve - with the mesh - hopefully without to much hassle. The bevel on this image is made by using Smooth in Surface Properties on two different surfaces.
http://home.no.net/dgfx/9n/finished.jpg

Is it possible to add extra points to a polygon/line except with the knife tool? The "Add points" tool doesn't work for this..

How do you change the internal buffers in Modeller? I often get the annoying "Not enough internal buffers to do the requested operation" when in the middle of a big project.
I don't think it have to do with the ram or such, because I'm running a Athlon XP 2000+, original 1GB Compaq/Samsung ram and WD caviar 120 se harddisk.

Awaiting your response

Sincelery
Ole // submesh

John Fornasar
02-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to add extra points to a polygon/line except with the knife tool? The "Add points" tool doesn't work for this..

Sure it does... trick is to select the polygon or line that you want to add a point to... the Add Points tool will become active. Then just point and click.

brtk
02-28-2003, 10:32 PM
Hmm ....I donīt know if I understand you your bevel question, on imamge it seems like you want to achieve an arch like cross section donīt you? In that case you can use bevel tool couple of times on same polygon or use railbevel tool. Youīll probably get overlaping points at the corners tho... Then if you do nothing but beveling all the time get Verti Bevel - its quite good but costs money...
btw I remember I saw couple of free or commercial bevel plugs at Flay...
And yes add points tool does work - just select the poly or spline and click on... little tip: guess what happens when you first select some points then polygon and finally click on that poly with add points tool ;) hehe

cheers/ Bartek

submesh
03-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys. I thought it was weird that such a tool wouldn't work that way:)

Brtk: Jeje:D

And what about the buffers, anyone?

I think I'll just keep experimenting.. There's a lot to learn.

greets from
Ole

John Fornasar
03-02-2003, 02:03 PM
I often get the annoying "Not enough internal buffers to do the requested operation" when in the middle of a big project.

Here's something to try...

When working with most tools (boolean esp.), hide as many polys as is practical.

You can also cut and paste sections of your model into other layers, and operate on each letter individually.

I haven't had one in a while, but when doing a boolean subtract, I would get the "internal buffers" message when I didn't have enough of an offset between polys with my object/cutter object. Usually moving the "cutter" would take care of the problem. I do remember that I had to close and reopen modeler once or twice, possibly to recover the memory buffers.