PDA

View Full Version : again another artist using my work in his portfolio... your work too?

Svenart
01-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi,

some moments ago a new possible client wrote me and informed me that another "3dartist" is using one of my images in his own portfolio.

If you know one of the artists who did the other images on the site, please contact them and let them now...

man im so :devil: ... thats the 4th time now.... I will never ever again forget to add a watersign...

link:

http://www.biohazard-arts.com/3d.html

stiff paper
01-23-2011, 10:30 AM
My sympathies. That, as our American friends say, sucks.

If it makes you feel any better (it probably won't... heh...) this does happen all the time and it isn't only you theyre picking on. The games industry is really terrible for it, I know several artists in games who've gone for interviews and had the people interviewing them say "Yes, but we had an artist in last week who said he'd done all of this work you're showing us."

In one way it's a definite compliment. It means they think your work is so good it will get them a job...

BlueApple
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Which images did you do that he is claiming are his? I see these 6 pictures on his site:

Old Room
Lighthouse
Hit and Run
Old Church
The Village
The Robot

but can't immediately tell which are also on your site. Did he crop some of them down?

Svenart
01-23-2011, 10:45 AM
thanks...

the first times I took it as compliment, but this happens again and again. I worked more than 4 full weeks on the image... mehh Im pissed on :)

A little bit I feel guilty myself because I have not watermarked it. Well, this will happen never again.

btw.. this is a nice tool where you can search for your images in the net. Really nice.

http://www.tineye.com/

Svenart
01-23-2011, 10:48 AM
@ blueapple: Its the wintervillage

here a link: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63476

zarti
01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
. that's really disgusting ...

hope you fix that soon , Svenart .

.cheers

ingo
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Have you asked him if he needs a higher resolution picture :D The only thing you can do is to tell as many people as possible about it, in forums and with other contacts, so he has no chance to get a job with your work.

Svenart
01-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Have you asked him if he needs a higher resolution picture :D

ROFL :D

I already have wrote him to delete my image.

SantiagoVa
01-23-2011, 12:03 PM
If only an organization could be formed keeping a list of stolen artwork and the perpetrators and made available to potential employers or contractors. Sort of a BBB of 3D.

BlueApple
01-23-2011, 01:39 PM
. that's really disgusting ...

Agreed. It is not a compliment but rather theft. Inexcusable conduct by anyone.

cresshead
01-23-2011, 01:54 PM
i'm not fan on over the top watermarks, they devalue renders if done with a sledgehammer.

the only way to stop these things is not to post images..which is really sad.
other than that only post small images.

some people are just annoying and use other people's hard work as their own, of course they'll fall flat on their face when a job offer comes up to do something similar.

cresshead
01-23-2011, 02:03 PM
thanks...

the first times I took it as compliment, but this happens again and again. I worked more than 4 full weeks on the image... mehh Im pissed on :)

A little bit I feel guilty myself because I have not watermarked it. Well, this will happen never again.

btw.. this is a nice tool where you can search for your images in the net. Really nice.

tineye couldn't find any matches to my images:D

JonW
01-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Send them an invoice for the unauthorised use of your image. I would say a few thousand dollars for use up till that date is not unreasonable. & spell it out that if payment is not received you will contact your solicitor. & get your solicitor to send a letter straightaway regardless of what you said, to demand payment . Your solicitor may be quite happy to do a quick letter for no charge, or at the very worst a small nominal fee.

Or each week send them a letter (print up & pre package a few dozen or so, so they are ready & it’s not difficult for you, to pop a letter in the post, say each monday) demanding payment. It’s worth spending a few dollars on postage. The irritation it causes at their end will give you some satisfaction.

JGary
01-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Wow, this is a handy tool. Thanks for the link!

I had a similar experience yesterday. I love the old Swamp Thing comic and wanted to find a T shirt of the character. Did a search and found a T shirt using the Swamp Thing render from my website!! Nothing was changed besides removing my name. I contacted the site and asked that it be removed. It's now gone but wonder how long it was up before I found it.

BigHache
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I had a similar experience yesterday. I love the old Swamp Thing comic and wanted to find a T shirt of the character. Did a search and found a T shirt using the Swamp Thing render from my website!! Nothing was changed besides removing my name. I contacted the site and asked that it be removed. It's now gone but wonder how long it was up before I found it.

You should forward their actions to DC comics. That's really lame.

Svenart
01-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Wow, this is a handy tool. Thanks for the link!

hard to understand, what going on in the minds of this guys :)

Meanwhile I have written this guy and he has deleted the image from the gallery and sayed that he is sorry.

cresshead
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
did you kill his site!

Svenart
01-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I have contacted him, and he answered that he has deleted the image. Maybe he has deleted also the other images or whole gallery. I will check it again in a few days/weeks.

Skonk
01-23-2011, 04:13 PM
I really dont understand the mentality of putting other peoples images into your own portfolio.

If your intention is to get paid work from it then you're going to need the skills to back it up; and if you have the skills then why use other peoples stuff?

Seems very strange.

If I stole a load of peoples work and passed it off as my own; I'd very quickly get fired from any job I got out of it when they realised I couldn't actually deliver the goods (I aint great).

The reasons for people stealing your stuff to use on prints and the like is much more obvious of course.

Svenart
01-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Send them an invoice for the unauthorised use of your image. I would say a few thousand dollars for use up till that date is not unreasonable. & spell it out that if payment is not received you will contact your solicitor. & get your solicitor to send a letter straightaway regardless of what you said, to demand payment . Your solicitor may be quite happy to do a quick letter for no charge, or at the very worst a small nominal fee.

Or each week send them a letter (print up & pre package a few dozen or so, so they are ready & itís not difficult for you, to pop a letter in the post, say each monday) demanding payment. Itís worth spending a few dollars on postage. The irritation it causes at their end will give you some satisfaction.

thanks, I will keep this in mind for the next time :D

BlueApple
01-23-2011, 05:00 PM
How do employers react to this sort of thing. I know I've seen many pros here talk about listing exactly what YOU did on a shot and what others did - which I would assume (?) would be standard practice. If I were the employer, I would state up front that if anyone was discovered later to have used someones elses work and passed it off as their own, they would be fired IMMEDIATELY - regardless of the talent. That might make a few people think twice before stealing other peoples work. Or is this practice already in place and simply ignored?

Employers don't react well to this, though it's rare that there are resources devoted to ensuring that the portfolio of everyone that applies for a job contains work only created by the given applicant.

Many employers in the U.S. have some boilerplate copy in their job applications stating something like the following:

Misrepresentation of any kind, including giving false information on this application may be grounds for immediate dismissal.

That could easily be extended to a demo reel, CV, etc. It really takes a special kind of jerk to represent that the work of another is their own.

zapper1998
01-23-2011, 06:03 PM
thanks...

That is so cool of a thing
W O W

JonW
01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
A real estate agent used a couple of my images to on sell a property without my permission. I have also noticed a stack of images being reused by the next real estate agents to re sell properties. Ethics are not even zero in that industry.

LazyCoder
01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I really dont understand the mentality of putting other peoples images into your own portfolio.

If your intention is to get paid work from it then you're going to need the skills to back it up; and if you have the skills then why use other peoples stuff?

Seems very strange.

If I stole a load of peoples work and passed it off as my own; I'd very quickly get fired from any job I got out of it when they realised I couldn't actually deliver the goods (I aint great).

The reasons for people stealing your stuff to use on prints and the like is much more obvious of course.

They get in, get a few paychecks, and get out when people start to realize they're useless. Over last summer, I worked at a place in Austin, and there were a couple of people there who had no idea what they were doing. We used Maya there, and one person DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO SHOW/HIDE OBJECTS. I think they were there for 2 months before anybody noticed. We also at one point had a lighting artist who didn't know anything about 3 point lighting... he depended on the talents of an intern to do the work for him, and he took the credit. Oh it was fun working there...

Keadil
01-23-2011, 09:57 PM
I've always wondered what anyone ever hoped to accomplish by doing this. Sure, it might help you to get the job initially, but people will start to notice very soon when you can't perform at the level you advertised.

SplineGod
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Its sad to hear about people having their hard work ripped off. I know how that feels only too well. Letting the community know about such unscrupulous people only helps everyone. :)

UltraViolet
01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
We also at one point had a lighting artist who didn't know anything about 3 point lighting...

That's hilarious :D

BigHache
01-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Art/design communities that I've seen tend to talk. What I've seen happen, even in the photography field, is that people do find out, word spreads, and the plagiarist utterly destroys their own reputation in that city and has to move.

I don't know if it's a carry-over mindset from college, copying someone else report/thesis paper, but it's career suicide.

cgisoul
01-23-2011, 11:28 PM
It's beyond me how can other artists do that and still call themselves artists. That sucks m8.

safetyman
01-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Isn't there a way in Photoshop to imbed copyright/owner information into your .jpgs? I'll have to go and check that out when I get a chance....

JohnMarchant
01-24-2011, 06:22 AM
I suppose you are going to have to do something like watermark your images, this is never going to stop really, its the same with 3d models there have been a few incidents of plagurism around.

borkus
01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Isn't there a way in Photoshop to imbed copyright/owner information into your .jpgs? I'll have to go and check that out when I get a chance....

There is also a way to embed things within the text file of a .jpg but that doesn't do a lick of good if they use any type of screen capture.