PDA

View Full Version : Perspective Viewport Backdrops?

DoGMaN X
01-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone,

I am trying to use a real life photograph as a backdrop reference, I can attach it to orthographic viewports but not perspective viewport.

My workaround at the moment is to map the image as a texture to an object, and scale to fit the perspective view. The problem with this is once I lose focus on this layer and go to another one, I lose the view of the texture as the current layer becomes a reference layer.

I could keep both layers enabled, but I'd rather not as I would want to make sure the reference picture is untouched.

Is there a better workaround for this?

I am a beginner so may have missed an obvious feature.

The picture shows my current method.

nickdigital
01-22-2011, 11:16 AM
You can't lock layers like other programs. Modeling with reference planes in an orthographic view is best.

DoGMaN X
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Because of the nature of my 'perspective' reference picture, I want to assign it as a backdrop on a perspective viewport so I could fit and build my model perfectly to it.

The picture I have attached is fine, but poses problems such as the view must be stationary until the end of the modelling process, and the layer must be on the foreground at all times to see the texture, and I could accidently interfere with the reference object because of this.

I dont think I have any luck using an orthographic viewport to work from this picture as a reference, because the picture just wouldn't match my model as I want it to. Is there anything else I could try in perspective viewports?

nickdigital
01-22-2011, 01:19 PM
What about front project mapping the image onto geometry?

DoGMaN X
01-22-2011, 05:29 PM
What about front project mapping the image onto geometry?

'Project Mapping' sounds new to me, I will have to look it up.

JeffrySG
01-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Another thing you could do is take the image into photoshop and remove as much of the perspective as you can from the image so you can use it in a front or back view. You will obviously still see some of the sides of the stones but you could ignore them. Then you could just use the original picture as a general guide when determining the depth of the stones. I do this a lot when clients send me photo reference that is not totally shot from the front (or side, etc).

DoGMaN X
01-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys, I will have a look into these methods.

A real shame that it seems we couldn't do what I thought we would be able to do though..

MUCUS
01-23-2011, 06:54 AM
As Lightwave is a separate apps between modeler and layout, why not block a camera in layout (matching the angle of your reference in background) while modeling in modeler and simply switch between the two to control your mesh?

DoGMaN X
01-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks Mucus, I think I will be using that method.

It is the easiest workaround I think, saves me editing the reference picture as I haven't used Photoshop in about 3 years and the Projection Mapping technique will come in use later, after the modelling is finished, thanks nickdigital.

I already have the setup laid out. Its much easier to keep the camera still in layout than it is in modeler.

The only thing missing now is real time updating in layout, while I work on modeler. Is this possible? At the moment I have to set the focus on layout for the updates in modeler to take effect, not a big deal by any means but would make life a little easier.

I can see myself spending a lot on these forums from now on :)

MUCUS
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Dogman,

Glad this solution please you :)

But indeed I never see the need of focusing Layout to update mesh as a problem...So I guess that you are working on dual screen?

If so I'm afraid there is no solution to this...(but as I never look for a solution to this, maybe someone get it?)

nickdigital
01-23-2011, 01:55 PM
If you're using the Hub you can get the model to update in Layout if you're going back and forth between the two apps.

DoGMaN X
01-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Mucus, yes I am using dual screen. Real time updating of layout would be fantastic as all changes made in modeler would instantly reflect on my second monitor, although it is not much of a problem if real time updating is not possible.

Worked with this solution for about 4 hours a while ago and its working great.

Nickdigital, that is what is happening at the moment. Hub is active and synchronisation is working - the model updates itself when I focus on the layout window in Windows. I just thought if the updates were in real time, it would be a little easier, but its no biggie.

Cheers guys.

wrench
01-24-2011, 03:22 AM
You can simply hit F12 to switch between the two apps, rather than Alt-tabbing or using the mouse. Hub does synchronise even if you stay in one app rather than switch but it's not so immediate (since you aren't looking it thinks).

B

DoGMaN X
01-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Cheers, wrench, will be using that too, help save a little time and hassle.

This is how I am doing it, transparent objects in modeler using a static camera view as reference in layout, with the reference picture surfaced onto a box.

Its working great :thumbsup:

DoGMaN X
02-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Bump

Just thought I would add my nearly completed project, there are still a few issues regarding shadows and models mismatching projections but its almost there I think.

Let me know what you think, this is the first section of my university dissertation project nearly done.

This is pretty much my first project performed from scratch, and I have only been learning 3D in my spare time in October, so be nice :devil: