PDA

View Full Version : License Key Not Found - New Install on Win7 64-bit

kengr
01-22-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm having trouble getting LightWave 9.6 to see the license key.

I installed 9.6 from disc on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The installation went fine, the dongle driver installed, and the dongle is present and readable. I completed the online registration process, got the license key, entered it into the registration utility, and all seemed to succeed. But when I start Modeler, it still reports "Your license key was not found. Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key (Product Lock:" followed by the numeric product lock value. This is the same message it reported before completing any of the registration steps. Reboots have no effect on the problem. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks.

Additional detail: This is an academic/educational version of LightWave 9.6. System configuration into: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Intel i7-970, EVGA GTX 470, 24GB RAM.

nickdigital
01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Instead of using the registration utility modify your license.key file in a text editor.

kengr
01-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I looked in the license.key file (which I found in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gramFiles\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\), and the correct license key that I had entered via the registration utility is already there. Other than the // comment indicating when it was entered into the file, it appears to be correct.

Could it be that it's looking for the file in some other location? Or is there something besides the license key that needs to be in this file?

nickdigital
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
With 9.6 the license.key file should be in the Program Files/NewTek/LightWave/Programs folder.

I'm not familiar with the path that you have posted. Is your LightWave bundled with another NewTek product? As long as the license.key file is in the same folder where Layout.exe and Modeler.exe is you should be fine.

The other thing to check would be that you have the right license key. The 32 bit version of LW uses a different key so are you putting in the 32 bit key instead of the 64 bit one? What you could do is request both keys and put both number strings in the one file.

kengr
01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your reply. Our suspicion was correct that the license.key file written by the registration utility somehow ended up in the "wrong" folder. I have resolved the problem by copying the license.key file from the C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Pro gramFiles\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\ folder into the C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\ folder. Once I did this, Modeler found the license key and all was well.

In Windows 7 (and in Windows Vista), the LightWave registration utility is writing the license.key file into the VirtualStore, even though it thinks it's writing to the real ProgramFiles folder. Programs that attempt to write into the real ProgramFiles folder are intercepted and the writes are done into VirtualStore instead. There are ways around this (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387 and http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/e85a62b7-d7c6-4d77-8b4c-11d5892b7218/ ).

The license key was the correct 64-bit key. The product itself is the standalone "LightWave 3D 9 Full Educational" version.

Anyway, problem solved. Thanks.

wrench
01-24-2011, 03:46 AM
The only way around it that seems to work every time is to turn off UAC while you are registering. Then the license.key file will get written correctly in Program Files.

B

mballard
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Thank YOU! I did just what you described, copy and paste into the main lw program folder and I'm up and running. Loading LW 9 onto a new laptop Windows 7 64. Thanks again, mb