PDA

View Full Version : Excellent CG, excellent show...

IMI
01-22-2011, 08:00 AM
This is probably old news to many of you. Maybe to most of you. For all I know, I could be the last person on Earth to see this. ;)
I found a site called topdocumentaryfilms.com and being the geeky, science-lovin' guy that I am (when I'm not out somewhere being cool, that is), I decided to browse through the science documentaries.

Now at first I thought it all had to be illegal, but the videos are all hosted on You Tube or Google's video thingy, and the website just has arranged links to everything by category. I suppose the legality of some of them could be questioned, but apparently the owners don't mind, so I don't know what to think of any of that.

Anyway, the one I'm talking about in my thread title is Miracle Planet:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/miracle-planet/ , a 5 hour extravaganza about the sum of scientific knowledge regarding the entire evolution of Earth from a cloud of dust forming through accretion around our sun 4.5 billion years ago, and up through the shaping of the continents, the atmosphere, life, and several mass extinction events, through its entire history.
What struck me hugely about it is the quality of the CG in it. Some of it is extremely impressive and beautiful, and there is *a lot* of it. It was released in 2005, no less, but much of it looks to me like it could have been made just last year. Many of the creatures through the ages just come alive in full color like I've never seen before.

And on top of that, it's just a very interesting and very high quality production, especially in HD, filled also with a whole lot of awesome on-location video footage as well. It's just an amazing piece of work, period. I don't think I've ever watched a documentary that I've enjoyed more on so many levels. :D

Nicolas Jordan
01-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't normally watch stuff like that since it is purely popular scientific theory that will without a doubt change significantly as we learn more about these things but it sounds like it might be worth watching if even just for the CG in it. Thanks for the link. :)

IMI
01-22-2011, 08:32 AM
I don't normally watch stuff like that since it is purely popular scientific theory that will without a doubt change significantly as we learn more about these things but it sounds like it might be worth watching if even just for the CG in it. :)

Yeah, this is true. Much of it is, however, consistent with what they've been telling us for a long time now, regarding at least tectonic plate movement, and geographical and climatological changes.
As with much science though, yeah, it's all subject to change as the theories progress and new discoveries are made.

But yes, it's definitely a gorgeous, intelligent, and politically-neutral production, well-worth watching. :)

Jim_C
01-22-2011, 08:37 AM
I prefer my documentaries to be based on fairy tales and make believe.

Don't have to worry about pesky changes taking place in them as those silly scientists advance popular theories.

UltraViolet
01-22-2011, 11:39 PM
I prefer my documentaries to be based on fairy tales and make believe.

Don't have to worry about pesky changes taking place in them as those silly scientists advance popular theories.

Lol :D

Lemme get some popcorn and soda before all the drama begins, hehe :devil:

IMI
01-23-2011, 02:59 AM
I'm still trying to figure out who Jim_C was targeting with his comment.
Seems oddly out of line, like as if he just wanted to start something, or maybe his fingers were just dying to type something, but his brain hadn't entirely decided yet what that might be.
Bad hair day, maybe. :D

Nangleator
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm still trying to figure out who Jim_C was targeting with his comment.
I think he invented a new tactic called "Troll Pre-Deflation."

The target of his riposte has yet to arrive.