PDA

View Full Version : LightWave and VPN/Remote Desktop

nickdigital
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Is is possible to use LW on a remote computer? When I launch LW it comes up in Discovery mode.

Markc
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Have you tried the dongle in the Remote computer? :)

nickdigital
01-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Yeah, my work computer works fine if I'm sitting at it. If I'm at home and remote in, LW launches in Discovery mode.

I have LW installed on my home computer with my personal dongle.

I've tried putting my personal key into our work key file and vice versa and still no go.

kalero
01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
The dongle should be in the computer running LW - sounds like that's your work computer in this case. Having it plugged into your home computer when you're remoting in elsewhere to run LW won't work. (unless there's some crazy utility I haven't heard of?)

nickdigital
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Well there's a dongle plugged into both my work computer and one at home.

My guess is the remote connection or VPN is conflicting with the Sentinel?

dballesg
01-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Is is possible to use LW on a remote computer? When I launch LW it comes up in Discovery mode.

Hi,

Long ago I had the same problem. The only workaround I found, was left LightWave running (no need to load a scene or anything) at work with it's dongle on the computer were I was connecting to, and use Remote Desktop at home.

Problem is if you close LigtWave and try to restart it through the Remote Desktop connection, you are on discovery mode.

I thought on make LightWave to be executed on the startup of the remote machine every time it was restarted, so I could restart the remote machine, it will execute LW and connect it again to it. But I didn't tried that, maybe you can give it a go???

David

nickdigital
01-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Interesting work around. For now I'll just live with copying files to my home computer.

Thx though.

stiff paper
01-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Hmm... I'm sure I've come across somebody successfully using VNC to control LW on a remote machine... but I can't remember where it was. So I think VNC can be made to work, if it's a possible option for you.

archijam
01-21-2011, 08:50 AM
I use team viewer, never had a problem (but it's a non commercial licence)

also find that with team viewer i have a great keyboard experience .. alt keys etc all behaving

itc
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
If anyone does get vnc to work - please let us know which version! I know that my work computer will blow the doors of my home system. 2cpus 8 core processors each, versus 1 cpu 4cores. So it definitely would help.

wrench
02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
I second James' findings on Team Viewer, works very well and doesn't slow down like vnc does if you try to use more than 16 colours :rolleyes:

B