PDA

View Full Version : Flame trail (for a crashing plane)

Ponyboy
01-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if there are any good tutorials for adding a trail of fire to the engines of a 747 that is "crashing"...?

prometheus
01-20-2011, 01:42 AM
I havent seen any free ones, might be some commercial somewhere.

Im trying out some of that stuff myself from time to time, still not satisfied.

You need to get the particle trail right at first, then work on the voxels, I would suggest working with sprites at first, and when you get the feel for it, maybe switch to full volume mode.

Generally You might wan´t to have the first initial particle flames, with perhaps sprite mode, and for the smoke trail volumetric mode.

I got some nice depth to sprite mode voxels in a smoke trail, by using different gradients on lumunosity channels.

I have that stuff somewhere at Home, when I get back from work I might be able to post a screen shot or something.

Ivé been doing some tests with turbulence fluids, but working with that scale and over large areas within a aeroplane smoke trail seem to freeze lightwave, I think It might be a bug still in the turbulence beta version, at least that what Jawset said.

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos

Michael

JohnMarchant
01-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Well use emit from object for the particles then use and tweak one of the presets included in LW. If you want it only in certain parts of the engine then select these parts and make them another object and emit from them

Ponyboy
01-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff... I don't even know where to start to be honest.

Ponyboy
01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
PS... I've got the "hero" on the ground watching the plane streak across the sky... The plane is there, landing gear coming down... just don't know how to start on the particles stuff.

JohnMarchant
01-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Wow, well i suggest you search for tutorials, there are allot at NewTek Site, as well as Youtube and a few others, google is your friend.

To teach you all about this is a tall order my friend.

Ponyboy
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
yeah I can't seem to find one specifically for that effect. Thanks though!

Ponyboy
01-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I think I can just "rock" the plane a little bit and throw in a "Mayday" call in the background and get the point across! haha :hey:

Rove
01-23-2011, 04:41 AM
Go ahead and tinker with the file I added.

It's a test I did way back. It's a simple "plane engine on fire" scene. With some tweaking you will be able to make it more appealing.

There's tons of great reference material to be found on the Internet. Even Newtek hosted the burning B-17 Flying Fortress on their website for a good amount of time. Not sure where they put it.

Radical 3D already made extensive material for History Channel's series "Dogfights". I'm sure you'll be able to find interesting material on their website as well.

Just work with the attached file. make some changes, see what happens. Oh and keep in mind that I used the Object Type Volume. I suggest you also check out the Object Type Sprite. it might work for you too and render times will be better.

prometheus
01-23-2011, 06:46 AM
If youré really newbie about particles, You need to learn how to parent things first.

To get smoke particles out of the engine or emitting from partis of the plane, you need to attach particles there right!

There are a couple of ways to do that, mainly

Add the dynamic particles to the scene and open the scene tab, you can click and drag a little to the right so the name highlights green and drag that particle emitter name in the scene tab and drag it on to the aeroplane name, make sure it really is sublocated under the aeroplane once youvé done that, you should now have the emitter parented to the plane, if you select the emitter you should be able to move;scale and place it where you want but if you move the plane the emitter follows that.

You can also parent items by using the schematic view, wich is located under viewports, from there you pick the label emitter and left mouse click to select it, then ctrl click and left mouse click on the aeroplane, you have now parent the emitter to the plane.

You can also use geometry from the plane itself, by copying or creating geometry or points around the area you want particles to emitt from, and paste that to a background layer, you need to have that layer parented to the first wich is done in view tab layer options, to get particles to emit from that, you add dynamic particles from the object layers properties panel, and go to dynamic tab..add emitter.

You could use nulls also and position those first and then use the above method to attach particles to them, instead of starting of with emitters, it might be easier to set up if you have a lots of particle emitters.

The next thing you want to do is to lower the parent particle motion so it leaves a trail, by default that motion is 100- set this to much lower as 0 or 10 perhaps.

Then you would probably need a little vibration on the particles so they spread out a little, that is done in the dynamic particles motion tab, set it to something like 0,5-1,5

Then you need to add hypervoxels ...and you could start by looking att
the scene posted, you can save that to your preset shelf and add it later to your particles in the plane crash scene, study it because you would probably need to change size and stuff to match your particular scene.

Michael

djlithium
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
I think I can just "rock" the plane a little bit and throw in a "Mayday" call in the background and get the point across! haha :hey:

I think the material covered in Practical Production Techniques Volume 4. (by me) over at www.liberty3d.com might be of interest to you.
I crash a meteor into the ground and then have it blast out an "impact crater" using HV sprites and HV Volume particles.

If you need some hints or tricks and stuff, jump over to our forums at liberty3d.com and I will try and post up some example scene files.

prometheus
02-01-2011, 02:49 AM
I think the material covered in Practical Production Techniques Volume 4. (by me) over at www.liberty3d.com might be of interest to you.
I crash a meteor into the ground and then have it blast out an "impact crater" using HV sprites and HV Volume particles.

If you need some hints or tricks and stuff, jump over to our forums at liberty3d.com and I will try and post up some example scene files.

Can you render out some video samples of finished effect from that, and perhaps look in to render out some stuff from other training materials as well?

The lack of showcased finished effect with movie samples is somewhat annoying that you are not able to see it.
The same goes for kurv studios wich doesn´t showcase much of the finished effect either except for stills and some sample of the process, but not the finished effect.

By the way Kat!
What do you think of Turbulence, have you evaluated it or something?

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656

djlithium
02-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Can you render out some video samples of finished effect from that, and perhaps look in to render out some stuff from other training materials as well?

By the way Kat!
What do you think of Turbulence, have you evaluated it or something?

Michael
http://vimeo.com/user680656

Hi Michael.
I do have that full effect rendered out just not to QT and posted. Thanks for reminding me. I can't say what we have planned for video samples at this time, but something like you suggest is coming.

T4D is starting to get to where it needs to be but it still has some interfacing issues in my opinion that need to be resolved before its ready for prime time. It's certainly use-able. When VPR started doing volumetric I gave it a good swing but I found it, like dynamite to be rather twitchy still. That was a while ago though, so I will have to look at it again.

prometheus
02-03-2011, 01:40 PM
a sample on getting a little depth in Hypervoxels sprite mode and smoke using some different gradients on luminosity channel and opacity etc.

Never mind the lousy chopper, and the miracle of rotor blades being completly still:) I wasn´t paying attention in class and not for that effect either.

the sprite smoke is also dissolving way to fast and could use larger particle scale, especially at the end and it could use more particles or particle spawning parts, and perhaps a little more turbulent motion.

But youll get the idea of how sprites could look like with a little more gradients to fake volumetric effect, renders fast too.

so if I was to work it a little more, I would fix above mentioned stuff and also add shorter fireflames as seperate emitters.

Michael

Rove
02-05-2011, 05:19 AM
I think Ponyboy got stunned by all this info :D