PDA

View Full Version : How to remove envelopes?

mtvedten
02-28-2003, 12:20 PM
How do I remove an envelope?

Sometimes I accidetally click the envelope button, when I meant to click the Texture button.

Once I have created the envelope I cannot find a way to remove it!
Is there some way to do this??

Morten

Simon
02-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Hold down shift and click on it:) ... works on the 'T' button too.

Matt
02-28-2003, 02:20 PM
took me ages to figure that out! envelopes REALLY should have a 'remove envelope' button like textures have.

it's bad interface design and confusing for new users.

Skonk
02-28-2003, 03:03 PM
I think its good interface design but badly documented. Id rather it be this way then have the extra button.

James..

Matt
02-28-2003, 03:07 PM
nooooooo, it's bad interface design! any interface designer will tell you the same.

keep the shift-click option in, because it does serve as a nice short cut, but unless you know about it users post messages like the one up top!!!

:)

Matt
02-28-2003, 03:11 PM
just to add, the reason it's bad it because it's not consistent.

if the texture editor didn't have a 'remove texture' button then it wouldn't be as bad, but because it does you expect to see a 'remove' button in the envelope editor, it doesn't and this is why it's confusing (and bad)!

JReble
02-28-2003, 03:12 PM
What I wonder everytime I ask the same question is why oh why didn't they make it so you could just toggle the stupid envelope button on and off?????? AAaaarrrgghhh!! http://138.121.52.29/contrib/ruinkai/spanka.gif

Matt
02-28-2003, 03:34 PM
if it was a toggle button how would you invoke the editor? you'd just keep turning envelope on / off but never bring the editor up.

hrgiger
02-28-2003, 04:22 PM
Yeah, it's a good thing this forum existed because that's where I learned how to remove envelopes. I don't ever remember seeing it in the docs but I could have missed it. Heck it could of been on a page that fell out of my huge *** LW 7 manual which has pages falling out all over the place. To think that one I day I'd have such a desire for a spiral bound book.

Adrian Lopez
02-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I had the same problem until I came upon the shift-click solution in Patrick Beck's Lightwave Primer book. It's also documented in Lightwave's manual (page 31.7), but it's hard to find at need (I found it by mistake while looking for page 31.17 which is listed in the index under Envelopes).

brtk
02-28-2003, 10:42 PM
LOL

if it was a toggle button how would you invoke the editor? you'd just keep turning envelope on / off but never bring the editor up.

hmm... you would invoke it by shift clicking LOL

Matt
03-01-2003, 10:16 AM

Max Wolf
03-01-2003, 12:33 PM
just tear up the envelope
and put it in the trash..

meatycheesyboy
03-01-2003, 01:19 PM
How about a button that is similar to the layer buttons in modeler?

Max Wolf
03-01-2003, 01:22 PM
::thinks ::
::pushs cd button on computer::
.Where is my coke?
:(

chilledaqua
03-25-2003, 12:46 PM
that looks like a good design meatycheesyboy. Yeah I had the same problem with not being able to remove the envelope. It was very frustrating. I'm glad this forum is here :) In the texture editor, there is a button to remove the texture and it says "Remove Texture" or "Use Texture". Maybe they should create something similar in the envelope

John Fornasar
03-25-2003, 08:09 PM
An easy way would be "Tool Tips".

Have it toggle - if the texture or envelope editor hasn't been used, give a "Click Here to Open Texture Editor".
Once it's been used (and now it's highlighted) the tooltip could read "Shift - Click to Remove Texture".

The tool tips would activate/deactivate depending on the Alert Level setting.

I find LW to have an excellent interface. It's clean and stays out of the way. I'll admit that the shift/click was not clearly documented when 6 came out, but once you use it the move is intuitive.

Epita
03-26-2003, 03:45 AM
Thankyou.

"jumps up and down clapping being happy!"

Epita

gjjackson
03-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Since I'm very new at LW I usually keep the PDF manual open and when I have a question I do a search, ctrl-F, for the item I'm looking for. You can keep searching until you get to the point in the manual you need. When I first started using LW I was playing around with different keys. I ended up turning off the the menus. I didn't realize what I did. It seems all this is in the manual and doing a search makes it fairly easy to find. I find it better to figure it out myself and then remember it better.

lord
03-26-2003, 06:48 PM
All this time I figured that there just wasn't a way to remove envelopes.

Personally I don't see a problem with having a Remove Envelope button. Would make sense yes?

Where else is Shift click used in lightwave to remove something?
Usually it's associated with "add to selection".

In my book - Bad design.